Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
CC1 (and Preciso). First impressions of an espresso newbie
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 (and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 11:06am
Subject: CC1 (and Preciso). First impressions of an espresso newbie

I've had it now for just over a week (paired with a Preciso grinder).
Pretty much by day two, I was pulling very good shots.

I spent a while researching here and at HB before deciding on the machine.
At this point I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. I may eventually outgrow it, but at this point it seems to meet al of my needs.

I knew that if I wanted to do a ton of steaming there might be better (and pricier) choices. I drink mostly straight espresso some americano and less so, cappucinos and this hasn't been an issue.
If I'm steaming for 2 drinks I find that it steams very fast (maybe too fast since I'm a beginner). I think if you get it ready to steam, then pull the shot, then steam there's very little waiting time between pulling and steaming (but I'm not positive). By my 2nd attempt, I (think I) was getting properly textured microfoam.

I had one errro message on the screen (EA1 - open circuit) appear once  but turning the machine off then on again solved that.
Otherwise it's behaved flawlessly.

For $900 with a Preciso fro SCG I don't think anything else would come close in the under $1000 range.
Once I recalibrated it, the Preciso seems to be doing very well also though I don't have anything to compare it with.
The only thing in my mind that remains unknown is reliability which only time will tell.

Soon we'll find out how it fared on the Road Trip.
 View Profile Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: CC1 (and Preciso). First impressions of an espresso newbie

What calibration did you need to make to your Preciso - the adjustment screw? I have been told to do that by Baratza to go with my CC1 and I'm not sure where my new zero point is supposed to be.
BarryR

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 4:58pm

My preciso came from the factory with the calibration ring on the coarsest setting. I did have to recalibrate it and used the finest setting. Even within the finest setting there seemed to be a range that it could be set so I used the coarsest portion of the finest setting. I don't know if that detail actually makes a difference or not.

With it set this way I usually get a good pull with the Macro setting at 5 and the micro somewhere in the low (A) to mid (G) range.
PS: The lowest macro number seems to be marked as 1 but I count it as zero as that's the only way it really makes sense.
Anyway, these numbers all seem to be relative, not absolute.
ampguy
ampguy

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 7:43am

Hi Barry,

Congrats on the setup! My Preciso is set between 6 and 7 (but if 1 is 0, then maybe 5 or 6?) but anyways, there is more than enough leeway to go finer than I need. I rarely need to change the macro setting with the same beans, unless the micro is at A, then I might need a half click. I always grind while turning coarser. Getting about 2.25 oz in 30 seconds works really well for me at this setting with the CC1.

BarryR Said:

My preciso came from the factory with the calibration ring on the coarsest setting. I did have to recalibrate it and used the finest setting. Even within the finest setting there seemed to be a range that it could be set so I used the coarsest portion of the finest setting. I don't know if that detail actually makes a difference or not.

With it set this way I usually get a good pull with the Macro setting at 5 and the micro somewhere in the low (A) to mid (G) range.
PS: The lowest macro number seems to be marked as 1 but I count it as zero as that's the only way it really makes sense.
Anyway, these numbers all seem to be relative, not absolute.

Posted May 12, 2012 link

BarryR

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 8:49am

ampguy Said:

I always grind while turning coarser. Getting about 2.25 oz in 30 seconds works really well for me at this setting with the CC1.

Posted May 13, 2012 link

I thought you have to grind while going finer since the burrs will be moving closer together and trapping coffee.

I use the grinder for espresso and non-espresson and weigh the beans before grinding. That means it's empty between grinds.
I tend to (very briefly) pulse the (empty) grinder when going from coarser to finer. I assume I'm not damaging the burrs, but I was wondering about it.
Anyone know?
ampguy
ampguy

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:36am

Hi Barry, Sorry, I meant when moving finer. Although I also have it on while adjusting either direction or even when making micro changes.
BarryR

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:38am

ampguy Said:

Hi Barry, Sorry, I meant when moving finer. Although I also have it on while adjusting either direction or even when making micro changes.

Posted May 13, 2012 link

If there are no beans in it do you just pulse it slightly or do you always have beans in it and waste some?
ampguy
ampguy

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:52am

Unless I'm cleaning it, I keep beans in it, and always have it on (front button pressed fully, never use the side timer) while rotating the hopper or making micro changes either way.

I use the pf holding adapter and let a few seconds drop down when dialing in (e.g. after a cleaning), but for normal usage, say I'm getting 2.5oz in 30 seconds, I'll then do a micro change a couple of letters finer (while pressing unit on). I think there are a few seconds time before the new settings will take effect, so I let that drop into the bottom. I wash this out daily, as the way I jog the PF on the stand it drops a bit over the sides anyways.

BarryR Said:

If there are no beans in it do you just pulse it slightly or do you always have beans in it and waste some?

Posted May 13, 2012 link

yiplong

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 12:31pm

I also have exactly the same setup from SCG.  It's good value and the resulting espresso/latte is really good.  My CC1 ended up leaking within a few weeks and I had to ship it back for repair.  It is still in the shop.  I've had ample opportunity to test out the Preciso for french press usage since I sent in the CC1 3 weeks ago.  I think the Preciso is the perfect grinder for home use if you do both espresso + drip/FP.  A setting of 7-8 works fine for espresso, whereas 30 is good for FP.  Don't see a lot of differences between the micro-adjustments, have to move it at least 4-5 slots to see significant difference in result.  I am not neurotic enough to stress out over 2 second difference in shot timing.  

I would reserve my opinion on the CC1 until I have more experience with it.
BarryR

Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 5:40pm

ampguy Said:

Unless I'm cleaning it, I keep beans in it, and always have it on (front button pressed fully, never use the side timer) while rotating the hopper or making micro changes either way.

I use the pf holding adapter and let a few seconds drop down when dialing in (e.g. after a cleaning), but for normal usage, say I'm getting 2.5oz in 30 seconds, I'll then do a micro change a couple of letters finer (while pressing unit on). I think there are a few seconds time before the new settings will take effect, so I let that drop into the bottom. I wash this out daily, as the way I jog the PF on the stand it drops a bit over the sides anyways.

Posted May 13, 2012 link

I emailed Baratza tech support about changing grinder settings while briefly hitting the pulse button (on an empty grinder) and they said it should be fine since it's only for a few seconds.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1 (and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.457633018494)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+