Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket V2
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket V2  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
edmonton66

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 6:58pm
Subject: Rocket V2

Anyone know why Rocket decided to abandon the nickel plated boilers for the V2 Giotto/Cellini lines?  I read a post from one user who bought a used Giotto in rough shape who had flecks of silver stuff coming out when he cleaned/descaled the machine and he figured it was nickel coming off the inside of the boiler.  I'm trying to decide whether I should jump on the sales being offered on the V1 here in Canada or wait for the V2.  Also not sure whether the extra manometer is worth the wait.  Anyone?
 View Profile Link to this post
dman777

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia- No PID
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: french press
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 12:29am
Subject: Re: Rocket V2

I emailed one of the co-owners on this. There is a big misconception on this. The boiler was only nickel plated on the outside for insulation, not inside. However, I was told that a very small amount of nickel MAY enter the internal faces of the boiler in this process. They said they had no issues in the 4 years of using it. Perhaps the nickel your friend is finding is from the E61 head? I don't know much about those heads, so I don't know if it is possible.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 6:12am

I personally do not see an issue. The descaling chemicals can be a bit hard on chrome surfaces so I see the non lining of a boiler as natural.

If you like the machine, buy it. If it worries you a lot, then don't. As I said, I see it as a non issue but it is your money so you need to spend it according to what will fit your needs and feelings best.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 6:21am

Anyone else think the concept of naming your machine a V2 Rocket may not be the best marketing idea . . . use Roman numerals, or something . . . lower case "v" . . . anything!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 6:27am

LOL! GREAT catch!!!!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 6:29am

I can't see a V2 anything selling big in Britain, and particularly in London. Ouch!

And that is a good call on the silver flakes from the E-61 group itself, and in particular, the mushroom. Water chemistry and backflushing chemicals can do that. Many owners just use a power wire brush or an appropriate abrasive solution and remove the rest of the chrome from the mushroom when they find that.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
auxpomme

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 4:29pm

Indeed, good catch on the name but I would imagine anytime a manufacturer can remove a step in the production process, that would lead to savings and possibly reduced quality issues. Of course, if you remove too many steps, I guess it could lead to increased quality issues.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket V2  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358969926834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+