Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine or grinder failure?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Sat May 5, 2012, 12:18pm
Subject: Machine or grinder failure?

Hi all,
I've been having issues lately where I don't get good crema and the shots are too fast, and I've tried a bunch of things but now I'm at a loss.

1) I thought it was old beans, so I tried Redbird, roasted on 4/30
2) My grinder was spitting out really coarse grounds so Baratza replaced it because I had a bad adjustment ring

So now I have my new (replacement) Preciso on 1A (as fine as it goes) on fresh coffee, but my Crossland CC1 is still putting out shots in under 15 seconds. If it matters: 1sec preinfusion, 1 sec wait, 202*F on the PID. I fill the 58mm basket and tamp as hard as I can. It's roughly 18g of coffee, possibly closer to 19g. I think it's an overdose but I'm trying to get a proper extraction and I'm failing.

Is it possible my machine pressure is too weak? I thought maybe the OPV is set too sensitive? Can a Preciso on 1A really be still too coarse (I thought espresso is roughly in the 9 macro range). The new Redbird pours with a decent crema (looks like a Guinness, if that makes sense) but the crema disappears almost immediately. The shot is sour, of course, too.

I've spent so much time and effort trying to get good espresso and if I'm going to have crappy shots I can get a $400 superautomatic instead of my $900 setup. Please help!!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat May 5, 2012, 12:47pm
Subject: Re: Machine or grinder failure?

The adjustment screw could need adjustment on the Preciso, though it should have been adjusted correctly to start with.  Does not seem so likely with a new from factory grinder.  The thread below may help.  The placement of the screw can affect the coarseness by number.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/544926?Page=2

I also had a lot of crema fairly quickly fade with Redbird.  I spoke with Jeff and he referred me to this article.

Click Here (espressovivace.com)

He mentioned that he tries to retain sweetness, and the crema will dissapate.  I also noticed that after the fresh roast gassed off a few days, that I seemed to get a little less total crema.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Ascasouser

Espresso: Ascaso Bssic
Grinder: Ascaso i-mini
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 1:55pm

How fine exactly is your grind? As mentioned earlier, it could need further adjustment. Espresso grind is almost like talcum powder and very consistent, without any chunks.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 7:49pm

I don't have that grinder (or that maker, for that matter) but I have to think it's still a grinder problem. At the finest setting you have, with a hard tamp, i'd think you'd be plugging the entire works and getting no coffee coming out. That it's too fast makes me think your finest setting just isn't really very fine.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 8:21pm

Ascasouser Said:

How fine exactly is your grind? As mentioned earlier, it could need further adjustment. Espresso grind is almost like talcum powder and very consistent, without any chunks.

Posted May 7, 2012 link

yes, FEEL THE COFFEE. Actually, I'd say maybe not quite talcum powered, more like sugar, perhaps a wee bit finer.
If it's not, then try moving the adjustment screw.
Mine just happened to be set perfectly.

As a guide, MANY of us seem to have success around the 9 mark, some 8, a few at 10...all depends where that screw is set...in my case, at 9, with the Micro between d-k. (for espresso, of course)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 11:14am

SCG and Baratza both agree it's the grinder. The coffee is not as fine as you are describing, so I'll probably have to do the adjustment. How do I know how much to move the screw? I don't want to lose the ability to do french press...
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 11:41am

Here is the instruction directly from the Baratza site.  Usually one window but some have done 2.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Gig103

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 1:52pm

So before I made any adjustments, I cleaned it out and started slowly tightening the collar until I hear the pitch change and an almost grinding sound -- the zero point as I understand it. That's all the way about 7 right now, when I make this adjustment do I expect that point to be higher on the macro scale (10) or lower (4)?  I am just trying to make sure I do it right.
Gig103

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:20pm

Another update. Now I have my machine on its finest setting, where zero point is around 10. I am down to 2 on the Macro scale and still am getting 15 second shots. This is absurd.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 10:58am

At this point I'd have lost all patience and returned it for a refund and bought something else.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394533157349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+