Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tear down, descale and reassemble 3 Group Aurelia
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tear down,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
YPClayConry
YPClayConry
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 1:31pm
Subject: Tear down, descale and reassemble 3 Group Aurelia

Hello.

New here. I have owned a coffee shop for about 5 years now and we have had the same machine (3 Group Nuova Simonelli Aurelia) since day one. We operate in a rural town in Western South Dakota where the water is pretty hard. We have come to a point where bi-yearly descaling isn't cutting it (I have since been told by a local plumber that it should probably be done every other month).

It appears to me that I need to do a full tear down, descale and reassemble of our machine (one group head will only spit air [no water] even with screen removed).

Any guides in helping to accomplish this?

Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Will a tear down, descale and reassemble fix the problem?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 1:47pm
Subject: Re: Tear down, descale and reassemble 3 Group Aurelia

HI and welcome!

Yes it sounds like it is time. Due to the pretty heavy duty chemicals you likely will need to do a good job of cleaning, I would ask around for service at a shop rather than doing it yourself.  I know it will cost more but I would wager that the job will be done faster and things that you didn't know about might be found and fixed by someone who is used to working inside these machines.

By all means if you think you can do it yourself, give it a try but it will need a 100% tear down and everything will need a soak in heavy duty chemicals.

Do you have a company that supplies you with service? They might be able to set you up with a loaner machine while yours is being serviced.

Again, welcome to the board!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 2:01pm

I second the idea of a loaner machine, I believe it will take hours to soak it, not counting dismantle and rebuild time.  I would guess it would take at least 2 or 3 days in the shop, and that doesn't account for transport time.  (or get a new one and use this one as back up if your water is that hard you might need to do a full tear down descale every 6 months)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
ryecarr01

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:32am

Giving it a go yourself is by no means impossible and I would personally encourage you to do so.

I have stripped down lots and lots fo machines, it started off as a hobby mainly and I would pick machines up from eBay and get stuck into them.

There are a few basic steps to take when doing this;

Pictures. Take lots of pictures, of the machine before you start, with panels removed, as you disassemble parts, all the way to the bare frame. It may seem like a chore but you will thank yourself no end when you come to put it back together.

Labelling. As you take off a part ie pipe, use some pvc electrical tape and a marker pen to label the part, for example 'left hand steam wand'. This will also save you alot of time later on.

Descaling. Get hold of a large tank that will fit your components. Fill this with an acid based liquid, you can use a standard brick cleaner but dose it down with water. Also try not to fill the tank more than half full as you may get foaming from the acid if limescale is heavily present. Leave it over night to properly soak in.

Rinsing. You must thoroughly rinse all the pipework and the boiler adn the group heads with fresh clean running water. Do this 2 or 3 times to make sure they are properly rinsed.

Cleaning/Polishing. Scotch pads work great for polishing up pipework and for gettting into the group heads to remove the dirt and oils. Obviously while you are on it will be worth your while to fit the group heads with new gaskets, seals and shower plates.

Reassemble. Try and work methodically so that the last thing you took out, it the first thing you put back.

Take your time while you are doing this and use common sense, ie dont dunk the manometer into the tank of descale. You will get great satisfaction in the job and you will come out of the other end with a great looking machine at minimal cost and also you will have a better understanding of how your machine works which is always great to have.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, if you want to ask me any questions you can email me if you wish, i will be mroe than happy to help ryan.carr6@gmail.com

Good luck, take your time and have fun!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:08am

I agree he will learn a lot. But he is a businessman and can't afford to be without a machine for a week or 2 while he figures out what he's doing and gets parts shipped to him. If he can rent or buy a back up that is a good plan if he is handy.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tear down,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358680009842)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+