Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Deal of the Century? Pic Inside :-)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Deal of the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
goodlookin1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office
Grinder: Vanelis Minipro III
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 1:40pm
Subject: Deal of the Century? Pic Inside :-)

Just picked up a lightly used 2 year old La Spaziale Spazio EK 2 Group machine with a Zenith 1600 grinder w/doser. Also had all the accessories, like a dump box, shot glasses, three portafilters...two for shots and one with a blind basket...scrubbers, etc. I went to Vaneli's in Rocklin and saw that they are selling the exact same model Spazio brand new for $4800, a pretty penny, and the grinder for $550. It was from a bowling alley and the employees had no clue how to make good coffee. The customers were complaining because they had no standard for any drink....different "barista", different drink (and by the looks of how dirty this thing was, I cant imagine that ANYTHING tasted very good). I've been backflushing for DAYS (probably at least 20 different backflush powder scoops with 40 individual backflushes...minimum!) and i'm still getting slightly brown water. But it's almost perfect now....at least one group head is :-)

I found out that the grinder is pretty much a chinese clone of the Mazzer Super Jolly, with some subtle differences....still super heavy and built like a tank, but I have no experience with a Mazzer SJ, so I dont know the actual differences. I think I like my home grinder better though, and it's doserless.

Anyway, for the best part: The price! I got all this for....
Wait for it....
$800!

http://www.rcmill.com/ryan/laspaziale.jpg

Only problem is that it requires a 20amp power line, so the only 20a plug I had was in the laundry room. I dont know what I'm going to do....I can keep it and run a new 20a line in the garage, or I can sell it and get a e61 machine like a La Scala or something along those lines. What should I do? Thing runs like a champ, but has quite a large footprint.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 3:24pm
Subject: Re: Deal of the Century? Pic Inside :-)

awesome deal, I am glad you are giving it a good home.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 3:25pm

goodlookin1 Said:

...  Only problem is that it requires a 20amp power line, so the only 20a plug I had was in the laundry room. I don't know what I'm going to do.....

Posted May 19, 2012 link

What should you do???? Sell the washing machine and dryer, of course!  :-O

Seriously, there is normally little need for a two group in the home, and one of that size is best if left on 24/7. Make it look and run as good as possible and C/L or eBay it.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 3:31pm

here is a bit of information on the grinder.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/559095
ryecarr01

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 2:30am

Very cool machine. I refurbished a spazio not too long ago. A word of warning if you decide to keep the machine, if it is kept in your garage and you live in an area prone to harsh winters, theses machines hate frost. They have a unique heat exchanger which seems very susceptible to splitting if becoming frozen.

Great find though, if you sell on you should have no probs at least doubling your money

Have you considered downgrading the element so that it uses less juice?

Keep us posted
goodlookin1

Espresso: Expobar Office
Grinder: Vanelis Minipro III
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 9:16pm

Thanks for the tips guys. These are my thoughts after having/using it for a few days:

1) Machine is still frickin huge!
2) Steaming takes some practice....literally too hot after about 10 seconds
3) Not so sure about the 52mm basket size....i'm used to a 58mm E-61 group (and like the ability to use a wide and deep triple basket
4) Machine creates a LOT of heat....warms up the laundry room quite easily
5) Machine is extremely consistent in pressure and heat, never running out of hot water or steam

All in all, although i've never worked in a coffee shop, I dont see how this thing could ever be too slow or just not have enough juice to provide everything a dedicated shop needs. I've always wondered about the usefulness of the 3-5 group machines as you will never have 5 espresso's going at once, nor 5 people working on the machine at once. I'd rather get two 2 group machines as far as I'm concerned, if you really needed that much more output.

As far as the quality of espresso goes, it's pretty much the same as my expobar. I do feel that I cannot get the most out of it due to the fact that I dont have a naked portafilter that will fit. I almost want to drill and open up one of the three portafilters so I can see what's going on during the shot....without that, I am only guessing.

Having said all that, I dont feel this is the machine for a home. It's just a bit too much. You dont need a 5-10 second steam time, you dont (typically) need two group heads, and in my opinion you dont need it plumbed (although it makes things much easier). This beast just draws a ton of power and it is overkill for 99% of households. Yes, it can be done and I'm sure many have enjoyed it in their house.....I just dont think it is necessary and would much rather prefer a high-end semi-automatic HX E-61 for my uses. I think that's the direction i'm going to go from here.
rlevine

Espresso: Izza Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baritza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Drip: Hario kettle, V60, Chemex
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:20am

goodlookin1 Said:

Thanks for the tips guys. These are my thoughts after having/using it for a few days:
All in all, although i've never worked in a coffee shop, I dont see how this thing could ever be too slow or just not have enough juice to provide everything a dedicated shop needs. I've always wondered about the usefulness of the 3-5 group machines as you will never have 5 espresso's going at once, nor 5 people working on the machine at once. I'd rather get two 2 group machines as far as I'm concerned, if you really needed that much more output.

Posted May 21, 2012 link

Just to chime in on this point:
I have seen the barista at my local shop run 3 shots at once - though admittedly it is infrequent that he does so. In my eyes, the true usefulness of a machine with more than 2 groups is in case a second barista needs to jump on to help out briefly or, more likely, to have an extra group if one goes down for whatever reason.

I could see myself at some point down the line owning a 2 group machine in my home. I guess it would be a little overkill though. (A little?)

-Randy

--
www.snobcoffery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/rlevine
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Deal of the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39741396904)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+