Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help with naked portafilter spraying everywhere
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 2:56pm
Subject: Re: Need help with naked portafilter spraying everywhere

I stopped using spouted portafilters years ago. The last two machines I got, one of the first things I did was to take a portafilter out to the garage and fire up the drill press. The only reasons that I can see for using one would be:
A - You are using the double basket to pull two single shots.
B - You are too lazy to cure your sprite problem and are sick of cleaning up the mess.
Reasons to use a Bottomless:
1 - The floor (inside bottom) of some portafilter bodies (like my Vibiemme portafilter) are very flat and retain some espresso, and it is almost impossible to move the portafilter from the machine to the knock box without dripping.
2 - I love the show!
3 - It gives excellent feedback as to grind and distribution.
4 - I love to dip a spoon in the flow and taste directly from the stream.

Weigh the dose and distribute the coffee evenly. That is why I like a doser-equipped grinder. Tamp all you like. 50 pounds is not a problem and it makes being consistent easy because after about 30 pounds there is little compression and after about 40 there is virtually none. Most importantly, tamp level. IF ll that is done correctly, and you are still getting sprites, try grinding a bit more coarse, or possibly lowering the dose a bit.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 3:28pm

I like the feed back my naked gives me.  I used spouted at parties when I had to split my doubles but I went back to naked at home.  Except for mess if I screw up and get a spritzy shot I see no reason at all for a spout at home where we both drink doubles.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:13am

frcn Said:

The only reasons that I can see for using one would be:
A - You are using the double basket to pull two single shots.
B - You are too lazy to cure your sprite problem and are sick of cleaning up the mess.

Posted May 25, 2012 link

C - you prefer the look
D - you prefer the heft
E - thermal mass
 View Profile Link to this post
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 9:28pm

I have also gone to 100% naked pulls (naked PF, that is!)  The feedback I get from it is invaluable.  The hard thing when things aren't going well with your shot is that there are many variables and it's very tempting to play with too many of them at a time.  Start with a sensible dose and rely on the experience of folks who use the machine you have for a starting point.  Make sure you have fresh, but not too fresh coffee - too fresh and you'll get overabundant crema and a poorer tasting shot.  Each coffee blend has it's own best after and before dates.  In general I rest everything at least 2 days for espresso and more for Yemens.  Now, with your good coffee and a sensible dose (for most machines between 14-16 grams to start with), you can dial in the grind.  Here you are shooting for 1.5-2 oz of expresso after 23-35 seconds.  The grinder you have should let you dial in any time in that range so play with it and taste the shots.  Find out what time tastes best.  Once you have that figured out, you can go back and dial in the dosing again.  Don't mess with the grind, just updose and downdose a bit to see what happens in the cup.  For my Junior D, it turns out that 14g +/- 0.5g is the sweet spot.

As to any distribution and tamping, it's really up to you.  I started with WDT, then I dropped it for a while and now I've gone back to it.  But I just give a quick stir to try to get the grounds distributed fairly evenly.  Then I finger level and tamp.  For me (and this may vary for others) it's best to tamp NSEW lightly (probably because I have a 56mm tamper and 58mm basket) and then give a little nutating rolling tamp and finally a finishing straight down tamp and a very light polishing twist.  If I get side channeling, doughnut extractions or spritzers at the edges, I usually need to either grind finer, give a better nutating tamp, or a combination of the two.

Now, this is my own barista voodoo.  Everyone develops their own over time and with luck, you will get a great system that works well for you.  Because of my grinder (at least that's what I'm going to blame!) it took me a fair while to get where I am today.  With any luck, you'll have this nailed down fairly quickly.  Some great articles both here an on HB guided me through all of my worse pulls and now I pull better than I can get in any local shops.

Read these if you haven't already:

http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
Click Here (www.home-barista.com) (look down about 3 posts for the video posted by HB/Dan Kehn)

And if you want to read until your eyeballs bleed:

But really, just keep it simple.  Grind, dose, distribution and tamp.  Don't play with too many variables at once.  Sit down with a half pound of coffee and pour until it clicks.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356438875198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+