Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso Machine shot quality and reliabilty
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Samson

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 4:00pm
Subject: Espresso Machine shot quality and reliabilty

Dear Coffee Geeks,

I am sure that this has been addressed previously but here is my situation:

I have a Pavoni Pro that I am now selling because of the time it takes to make many drinks, especially when I have guests over. Now I'm looking into an HX machine. Of course I find the Rockets to be gorgeous, Bezzera to feel like great values and Simonelli Oscar to look weird in its plastic. I can't taste any of those machine since I don't live near any dealer. Then I have to shop and have the machine shipped to me. I don't know the first thing about fixing machines and shipping such heavy items for repair is always so expensive.  So here goes: I will take any suggestions about a machine that will give me a great shot and be super reliable. That's it. I wished it looked great but it is not a factor. Priced around 1500$.

Thank you so much!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 9:06pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Machine shot quality and reliabilty

Ian, welcome to CG.

Even with the higher Canadian prices (in SOME cases?) you should find several machines that will serve you VERY well. Basically all HX machines operate within the same parameters, and differences would be cosmetic, and maybe higher grade pumps, pstats, etc.

You haven't mentioned the more important part of the equation...the GRINDER.
A 2k machine with a lousy espresso grinder=FAILURE, at all levels.

Budget at least $250 US for a proper grinder. The Baratza Preciso can be had at a refurb price (full warranty) for under $250 US.
There are manual grinders some for under $60, and a GREAT manual from Orphan Espresso.com that easily grinds as well as $400 electric grinders.

On the other hand, Often, you can get a package deal...grinder and machine for less than the price sold separately.
Google for the closest vendor near you.

Chris Coffee Service is in Upstate NY, near Schenectady. They have a showroom with DOZENS of espresso machines in all price ranges as well as many grinders.
They are great folks. If you can't find a Canadian vendor, CCS would be an awesome choice. Their customer service is as good as it gets, and you can actually try out all the machines!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Samson

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 10:12pm

I have heard reliability issues with Rockets. Is that true?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 10:33pm

Ian, perhaps that would be something you could investigate offline.
Maybe lets try to figure out something less expensive that will do a fine job, so you can save some $$ for some really good artisan roasted coffee. There are some awesome Canadian roasters.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 12:17pm

My weird looking Oscar makes nice coffee for a crowd and keeps on going.  At $475 used I think it is bang for your buck.  I know lots of people can't handle used and to be fair I have to fix a few things.  But I know him inside and out and I feel sure I can repair him for years of service from him to come.  I do not have upgradeitus.  I like he has a no burn shell, I can move him easy and take him to parties, (he has done 2) and I can paint him if I want to or cut holes in the shell for gauges or pids or anything else I decide to trick him out with.  

I personally did not have a shiny fancy budget and really I think that turned out for the best.  If he was shiny I think I would have a velvet rope around him and would be freaked out by water splashes and stuff.  And I would not be as relaxed and having fun with him like I do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
dsblv

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 2:21pm

Samson Said:

I have heard reliability issues with Rockets. Is that true?

Posted May 24, 2012 link

Nope. Check out the reviews and talk to owners of Rocket machines. Rockets are renowned for their quality, performance and style.  There's always someone that has an issue with their machine. So, you need to filter out the noise.
yiplong

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 5:41pm

dsblv Said:

Nope. Check out the reviews and talk to owners of Rocket machines. Rockets are renowned for their quality, performance and style.  There's always someone that has an issue with their machine. So, you need to filter out the noise.

Posted May 25, 2012 link

Oh, so if someone has issues with their machines, it's just "noise" and must be filtered out?  Are you on the payroll of Rocket or something?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 6:04pm

yiplong Said:

Oh, so if someone has issues with their machines, it's just "noise" and must be filtered out?  Are you on the payroll of Rocket or something?

Posted May 25, 2012 link

Lets NOT get into this.

CG has always allowed both positive and negative viewpoints of gear, coffee, etc.
However, we strive to avoid personal attack, such as the one you advanced...the "do you work for" comment.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I interpreted "dsblv's" comment to mean keep an open mind, and that there are always occasional problems with most any product, and not to be unduly influenced by a negative comment or 2. This is especially true when the MAJORITY of comments and reviews of aid product are positive.

Lets respect our OP and move on please.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 12:46am

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

So what's your maximum budget, and does that include a grinder? If you already have a grinder, what is it?

Never heard of any ex factory quality issues with Rocket Espresso.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 11:05am

Maybe he is talking about this:
"ECM Germany from 1st line"

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.464365959167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+