Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
5 yr old Silvia- unable to pull a good shot
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 5 yr old Silvia-...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: 5 yr old Silvia- unable to pull a good shot

Yes, let us know what you find out, it might help others in the future.  With my issues on my value I did photographs and tried to document as much as I could so others could tell what to do if that happens to them with their Oscar.  I even changed the name of the topic to be a better search engine hit for the real problem rather than the problem I thought it was at the start.  

If JGG is right I would start with cleaning the OPV right off the bat.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 9:44pm

Thanks to all for input.  Finally got to tear it down and found water leaking from the base of the boiler when turned on and trying to pump.   Leaking a fair amount and there is black all outside the base where the seal would be at the bottom. must have been leaking for some time as the bottom of the painted metal panels is rusted as are a bunch of screw heads and some connectors.   Now comes the questions? is there more problems, Attempt to repair/rebuild or just bite the bullet and buy another one?

alspresso: Boiler leak .jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 10:18pm

A five year old Silvia which has been treated properly shouldn't be having these problems.
The tripping of the thermostat and the leaks at the boiler base point towards overheating which could cause the black discoloration (more likely if you bought it new as opposed to someone else spray painting it or something).

As I mentioned before, the low brew pressure and overheating point towards a scale build up as well.

Can it be fixed? Sure. is it economically feasible? Maybe. You will need to get the boiler apart before you know that.. again, as I recommended in my earlier post in this thread.

"Hey. Is this my wife posting the original question. She don't listen to me either. I get no respect, I tell ya!"

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jgottlieb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 4:15pm

I just recently experienced what seems like very similar symptoms on my V2 Sylvia (except for the leaking).  My issue turned out to be gunk that had broken loose and clogged up the 3-way valve.  The nice thing is the 3-way valve is very easy to break down and inspect.  There is a link somewhere (I've lost it, maybe someone else can post) that shows you exactly how to break down the 3-way valve and inspect/clean it.  That may fix the issue.

Also, I would check the volume of water that comes out via the brewhead and compare it with the volume that comes out via the steam wand when you run the hot water switch.  If the water coming out of the wand is at a good flow, I wouldn't think it is the pump.  

What I noticed on my machine was the water coming out of the wand was fine, but the water coming out of the grouphead was very low and you could see the water running back into the reservoir through the OPV hose whenever the brew switch was running.

The other possible culprit would be the grouphead and screen being really clogged up, but I'm assuming you've probably already checked those.  I checked my output through the grouphead with the entire group removed. (just be careful as the water will shoot straight out at you).

Anyway, a couple of things to check.  Let us know.

Also, in terms of your leaks, if it just seems like it's coming out the bottom of the boiler, you may just need a new gasket.  You can get them at 1st-line.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 5 yr old Silvia-...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360510110855)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+