Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Gobs
Gobs
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 11:56am
Subject: Re: La San Marco 85 FCS 2 Rebuild

That is really a great restore. From what it was and what it is now, yup a lot less scary, in fact this is not scary at all. It's a beauty.

Gobs

"I never discovered anything with my rational mind."
- Albert Einstein
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lawrencetar

Espresso: 2 La san Marco 2 group 85...
Grinder: La San Marco and a Dosimeter
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 12:30pm

Thanks everyone. Here I go, giving away a trade secrets, the tech even dummy proofed it for me to follow:

Problem: Does the machine constantly fill (sight glass) when the machine is off and the water is on?

If yes: Check the AutoFill valve turn the 2 other shut off valves off, and see if water continues  to leak past the expansion valve (over pressure valve) into the drip tray.
                  *If no leaking past the valve, a bad autofill valve.
                  *If yes you could have a leaky heat exchanger tube inside the boiler.

If machine continually fills when powered check the autofill probe wire connection and sure the pump is set at 9 bar and the expansion valve is set correct (turn all the way till seated the back off half a turn)

If  autofill valve is in backwards the expansion valve will leak past as well.

That pretty muched solved the problem, the last frustration I had was the plug not making contact with the solenoid/autofill valve, I bent the prongs on the new one. I now know what the solenoid getting pulsed sounds like so I know what to look for in the future. I do have on more to fix up.
 View Profile Link to this post
Dr_Jim
Dr_Jim

Espresso: Isomac 'Rituale'
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Rossi RR 45
Drip: Krups gold filter
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Fri Dec 9, 2005, 8:37am

Well, if you <really> like it without the stripes, it just came up on the Seattle Craigslist this AM:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/for/116907055.html

And just when you thought we weren't looking Lawrence ...

Nice job, BTW - if you're bored, I've got this twin-lever machine that's begging to be restored ...

Cheers

Jim
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:40pm

Thanks for the plug Jim! I was trying to honor the rules of the bb, but there isn't a rule for other members doing so.... Thank you....

And just when you thought we weren't looking Lawrence ...

I thought I saw this rig moored by the Kalakala:

lawrencetar: Bedwell_dock.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:48pm

BTW - if you're bored, I've got this twin-lever machine that's begging to be restored ...

I'll be in Ballard this week and the next, I'm replacing some cedar shingle siding on a house where it doesn't quite line up with the roof line. I hate heights... It's my friend's house and he lives around 3rd Ave NW & NW 52nd St,
I guess that's Frelard, drop me a line I'd like to check it out. My girlfriend is getting me all sorts of buffing and polishing goodies for Christmas!
lawrencetar

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2005, 7:58pm

Well, it sold. It will soon be on it's way to a coffee house start up in Ventura California.
I replaced the dual manometer on it, at the request of the buyer. I was about to fire it up, to test whether the new fittings to the guage were 'tight enough' when the RPM Spa motor wouldn't kick in. Then following this motor pump diagnosis guide I found at http://www.espresso-restorations.com/pumpmotor.html  It turned out too many coffee dregs had fallen into the motor and wore the bearings out. Hearing that these motors were pretty much bullet proof I decided to rebuild rather than have to deal with a bad motor. I took it apart and was happy to see that the only parts that could wear in the motor were the bearings, no pesky carbon brushes or copper commutator.

lawrencetar: motor1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2005, 8:25pm

Here's the manufacturer for the bearings and the part number:
Nachi bearings 6202ZZE C3 'radial ball bearings'.
I then had to bring the bearings into a machinist that pressed the collets out of the old bearing.
The bearings used on the RPM spa motor, which is pretty much the only manufacturer of espresso pump motors, right? It uses a standard size o.d. (outer diameter) and a metric i.d. (inner diameter) for its bearings. See new bearing pic.
Needless to say the motor is much more quiet, it purrs!!!!!!

lawrencetar: motor2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lawrencetar

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2005, 8:28pm

The total on that motor rebuild was $7.90 for the bearings, and the machinist pressed the bearing sleeves off and on for free!!
Dr_Jim
Dr_Jim

Espresso: Isomac 'Rituale'
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Rossi RR 45
Drip: Krups gold filter
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2005, 11:14am

Lawrence -

You are more than welcome to stop by the Lab of Doom here in Darkest Ballard, I'm recovering from knee surgery and will be around most of the time for the next few weeks.

Drop a note to my public E-mail (mvnonchalant@hotmail.com) and I'll give address and routing instructions.

We moor by the Ballard Bridge, the vessel you saw over by the Kalakala was most likely 'Seven Bells' a 48" Stevens which has been perfectly restored and is a real showboat.

Cheers

Jim
BryceInFremont

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 9:58am

Thanks Lawrence- I'm Bryce, the new ecommerce manager at Michaelo Espresso and I appreciate you sharing what we do with the forum.  

I'm designing an online store for La San Marco parts (and later, other brands) and wanted to ask for feedback on the site layout.  I'm not a tech, so I have to rely on what you guys tell me!  How can I build you the best espresso parts site on the web?

store.michaelo.com

lawrencetar Said:

Hi all, this is my first post, I've been trolling this site for info, and its' been helpful.
I'm looking for advice on my current rebuild of a La San Marco, here is the current state of things.
I've got two machines, the first I hope to rebuild and sell, the second I want to put in my house.
I've got all the group heads off the boiler out , went to my local Michealo (nice to be in Seattle), they were very helpful in putting a rebuild kit together for me based on all the parts bags I brought in (they were good about letting me know what was trashed and what was reusable), and their tech gave me a lot of tips and tricks! So my question is on the boiler element which is covered in scale. Both machines belonged to a espresso house in Chicago and I suspect they did nothing to treat the water. In the machine I am currently working on there were clogs all through  the lines of the machine, and one of the valves with a little plastic insert (don't know it's name) was cloged with a mineral chunk, which I think was keeping the boiler from filling. Back to the element, I tested it's ohm rating as per the tech's advice and everything is at 43 ohms, is that ok I think he said around 35 ohms was what OEM is? or too high. I've got a small package of scale clean will have to use the 5lb bag. Is there a good way to clean out the element and heat exchangers or should I just soak them in a near boiling pot of water with scale clean? Any advice? I'd like to document my process in a nice howto with picks and post it on my website, but I would like some input.
Maybe I will entitle it "How to rebuild an abused La San Marco". I also need to buy a torch today to get that pesky old gasket off the boiler. Attached a pic.

Posted July 4, 2005 link

BryceInFremont: Epsresso Machine Parts 230px.gif
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La San Marco 85...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420773983002)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+