Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
cont- club overfilling
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cont- club...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mhamm

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 2:10pm
Subject: cont- club overfilling

Hi guys, can somebody please help me figure out why my machine keeps clicking and demanding more water when it is already full? This is causing the safety valve to overflow, than the red light comes on shortly thereafter and the machine turns off. I live in Hilo Hawaii and finding help is crazy difficult here. I tried running it with the steam valve slightly open to relieve the pressure but this doesn't help. After being on for about 15 minutes the machine demands more water... it just keeps clicking and clicking for water. What do you think the problem is?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 1:24pm
Subject: Re: cont- club overfilling

Michelle Please only ask your question in one forum, multiple posts on the same subject is against the rules of the forum AND it makes it hard to find the answer when people DO answer you, I did on one of the 3 times you asked this question.

calblacksmith Said:

It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on here. These machines (any machine in regular use) needs to be descaled about every 6 months to a year depending on the water you feed it. This is not detergent in the blank PF (which you should do fairly often depending on your use but I would say in commercial use, once a day would not be too much) but the addition of a chemical into the boiler to remove the water scale inside the boiler, this is the same stuff that builds up on your shower head at home.

If your machine is over heating, it may be the pressure stat, this device is what controls the temp of the machine and is my guess as to what the problem is when you say it is blowing the safety valve. What does the temp gauge show, it normally should be around 1.1 to 1.3 bar, if it continues to climb and go into the red or off the scale, the heater is not turning off and that points to the pressure stat.

A build up of scale on the water level sensor probe could cause the machine to over fill too, this is also directly connected to descaling the machine.

Hawaii is large enough that there should be someone who works on espresso machines, check with coffee shops to see who services their equipment, I can tell you that the do have someone to service the machines.

By leaving the steam wand on, you are using up water from the boiler and the normal reaction of the machine is to add water into the boiler to maintain a safe and normal water level. I really think the issue is a bad Pstat and you are adding in more problems than you are solving by opening the steam wand while masking the true problem.

Posted June 5, 2012 link

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mhamm

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 3:12pm
Subject: Re: cont- club overfilling

oh...I have never done that.
The machine starts clicking and asking for water and than it overflows out the boiler safety pressure valve. This all happens before the machine gets very hot; the gauge hasn't even begun to move yet, it is just warm to the touch on the boiler. When I took off the copper pressure valve (after cooling down of course) to check it out the boiler was filled to the tip top yet it still wants more water. Just clicks and clicks. I think you are probably right with the scaling problem maybe being the cause. Do you recommend that I remove the probe and soak it in vinegar or do you think I should put some chemical (???) in the boiler instead/in addition? Please excuse my ignorance; I was never the one in charge of the maintenance of the machine and I am afraid it has been neglected.
Yeah I am calling around at all the coffee bars. I live on the Big Island, I may need to search outer islands. Thank you so much for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cont- club...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345004081726)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+