Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help deciding on what machine to buy
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Philmassaad

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium plus
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: Need help deciding on what machine to buy

No doubt I will enjoy going through the process of making good espresso. Thing is I know myself and I hate it when things get old fast. I am the kind of person that on week days I will be brewing around 2 lattes per day but on weekends I'll be making around 5-6 lattes. I have RE-read the FAQ and I come to realize that I am going to invest on a HX machine. I really need good frothing capabilities and I don't want to feel limited by my machine.

I know that I will get bored of the Silvia faster then I would with a HX machine so I prefer buying the right machine now. I know the resell value is pretty high but I don't want to have to resell it. I know that when the time would come I would probably just be lazy.

So Right now Im hesitating between all the HX models above.

What are your thoughts on the Rocket Giotto Premium Plus its on sale right now at 1500$ on idrinkcofee.com
 View Profile Link to this post
Philmassaad

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 2:49pm

naimnut Said:

But I greatly concur on your choice of the Vario. It will be the major factor in pulling excellent shots from any of the machines you are looking at.

One other consideration is that you could buy a second hand machine, use it for a year or two, then upgrade when the right opportunity comes along and not lose any money. It would make it easier to bear the cost of a more expensive machine by breaking it into two steps.

Posted June 5, 2012 link

I will look into used machines but shipping is what really kills it for me. I live in Canada so when I check prices on ebay shipping is always 300$. If I buy locally I get free shipping from idrinkcoffee.com

I'll look into the BST forum to see what is offered right now. Thanks to all of you guys for all the input!
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 4:26pm

Have you thought about a CC1 with either a Preciso or a Vario?
I have the CC1 with a Preciso. $900 for both with a bottomless PF.

I do very little milk steaming / frothing but the CC1 is actually pretty decent for this (I'm sure an HX would be better for that though).

For me, it was a great, relatively low-priced option. Gives me PID + thermoblock, putting it at the high-end of SBDUs. Faster steaming would mean nothing to me.
I don't know if I could pull better shots with a low-end HX, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

At this point, I don't even see myself outgrowing it.

The only real unknown is reliability as it doesn't really have a track record yet. I have corresponded twice with Bill Crossland (once just for info, once with an extremely minor issue) and have gotten rapid and excellent resonses.
SteveJames

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 10:04pm

Hi Phil - I researched and thought about what I really wanted to do in moving up from a 5 yr Mr. Coffee steam toy and your comments sound a lot like what I went through during Nov, 2011 - Mar, 2012.  I eventually decided to go for the best long-term value that would allow me to excel with espresso shots, milk drinks for 1-2 persons and also for 6-12 persons when we have them over.  I am 57, frugal, but always try to buy for good long-term value and while I am a handy enough mechanic, I decided to go new so that I could concentrate on the espresso process, not repair someone else's poor maintenance practices - I also read enough posts to realize that no matter how good/expensive the equipment is, at least some of all machines/grinders might need to be "fixed or tweaked" by the user.

After much late-night reading and rereading on CoffeeGeek, Home-Barista, vendor sites, YouTube, etc., I decided on the following - all bought from CCS:

Izzo Alex II
Vario (standard, not W)
Eric S. digital thermometer
digital scale from Harbor Freight (via Eric)
undersink softener/carbon filter system (Wyoming has hard water)
Cafelat pillar tamper that I use with the standard Izzo double basket
misc cleaners/brushes for machine and grinder

While I am still a beginner, I can make a better latte than 90% of those purchased in the western states.  I am beginning to refine my tastes and can tell as my 1/2# repackaged bags of Redbird get a little old (7-14 days out of the freezer - approx. 1 mo post-roast of the  original 5# bag).  I repackaged the beans in ZipLock vacuum bags and store them in the freezer - I leave them in the bag and suck the air out after each session. I weigh the beans and single dose the grinder (ie. I do not keep beans in hopper).  I water backflush after each session, have cleaned portafilter/grouphead and grinder once since 4/1/12) and have had no problems with the equipment.  Before pulling the first shot, I checked the pump pressure against the blind basket and needed to adjust the pressure downward from CCS setting (requires pulling the outer shell) - -  am really glad I did because I found the boiler needing to be leveled (lower towards the steam wand - might/would have resulted in wet steam).  I suggest opening up whatever machine you get, to learn what the internals look like and to look for any obvious "problems" (loose connections, unlevel boiler, etc. that could occur from the factory, or from shipping.

Like me, I am sure you will have a lot of fun learning the machine, grinder, technique and tastes.  While I understand how this process has sucked me into the netherworld of coffeegeekdom, I do not anticipate the need to upgrade either the machine or the grinder - I would replace in kind if there is ever a catistrophic failure that cannot be repaired.

I'll keep watching this post to see what happens...
Philmassaad

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:51am

ALRIGHT!! :)

I just purchased my baby!
Here is my setup:
Rocket Espresso Cellini Premium Plus
Baratza Vario
58 mm tamper
20 oz pitcher

Total 2035$

Im gonna be pretty happy for a very long time I hope! Thanks for all your advice and knowledge. I realized that spending money on a SBDU was pointless when obviously I was already thinking of changing it. I also didn't want to go the used way because of maintenance and all.

I can't wait to get my baby!! :)

Will keep you guys posted on how it all turns out, I should be a very active member of the forum! hahah
cakens

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 8:02am

Any update on how the machine is working out for you?
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374037981033)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+