Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011, 6:52am
Subject: Re: Chris Coffee's new Joystick steam and hot water arms...

JoshMcBride Said:

I wonder if the Anita's will go the way of the joystick?

Posted January 6, 2011 link

Doubtful since that would negate one of the big upgrades (and only upgrades) moving from Anita to Andreja: non-compression valves and anti-burn wands.  Maybe Andreja will go that route, but I assume Anita will stick to the very low cost compression valves to maintain its position as Andrejas stripped down cousin.
 View Profile Link to this post
JeepinGeo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ (x2), Rocky DL
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 1:31pm

pumpkinscastle Said:

I saw that Chris' Coffee has introduced a new joystick arm/wand on some of their machines (new Vetrano etc.).

Has anyone had the chance to try those? ...

I am curious about your comments, especially of those who have first-hand experience with these wands.

Posted January 3, 2011 link

I've had the Vetrano joystick valves on my Duetto I for a few weeks now.

It started out simple enough, a call to Jason at CC looking for valve knob nut covers similar to what is on the Duetto II. The nuts do get hot and I've brushed across them a few times. Unfortunately, the available nut cover caps would only fit the Duetto II valves - I'd have to buy the entire valve set. But then Jason mentioned they had a new style joystick valve set from Quick Mill. Hmmm ... of course I could just head down to Home Depot, pick up something for a couple bucks, cover the nuts and be done. But I had been thinking about upgrading to no-burn wands and had heard rebuild kits for the original wands were hard to come by, so a few days later I had a set of Vetrano joystick valves on my doorstep! :)

The valves aren't a direct fit for the Duetto, the thread size and pitch are the same but Quick Mill has the flare on the valves and Izzo has the flare on the piping. But it wasn't too bad, an inexpensive adapter from McMaster Carr solved the dilemma and I had a new set of valves installed ready to play with.

I've always found joystick valves intriguing. Never had used them, just seen them on commercial machines in coffee shops. The instant on-off function seemed ideal. With the rotary knobs I always felt rushed to spin them up to full power and then again to spin them back down to end the steaming.

The Quick Mill joystick valves lock into the full power position at any angle. To shut them off, move or tap the handle toward the center and it snaps into the off position. They can be opened partially as well but need to be held in position or will return to center. I start my steaming session by slightly opening the valve to purge condensation in the wand (burp the steam boiler so to speak) and it's easy to regulate how fast the condensation purges. Once the boiler returns to full pressure, insert the wand tip and flip to full power. Monitor the pitcher temp with free hand and when done, flip the lever to off position. To borrow from 'car' analogies, the steaming stops on a dime! For me, it's a cleaner operation than with the rotary valves.

If you sometimes partially open your rotary valves to restrict the steaming, you won't find that as easy to do with the joysticks. For me this isn't an issue, I go straight to full power.

I won't say the new valves have made my latte art suddenly jump up to world class - it's just not so. I've always been pretty bad at making latte art and that remains the same. My milk based coffee drinks still *taste* great though. :)

I really like the new joystick valves, they won't be coming back off my machine! They are well built, very solid, high quality valves. At first I thought they looked 'too big' for my Duetto as they are more massive than the original valves, but now I think they look awesome! :)

For someone looking to replace their old valves, upgrade to no-burn style wands, want something different or have a birthday coming up (I can find many ways to rationalize additions to my espresso passion), the joystick valves are worth considering.

George

JeepinGeo: Vetrano Valves Mod-25.jpg
(Click for larger image)
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: B. Maestro & Vario, Peugeot...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Yama
Drip: Chemex, V60, Kone,...
Posted Thu Jul 7, 2011, 11:47am

Glad I stumbled across this thread to confirm that the joysticks stay in the on position at full tilt.  I just ordered these along with my Duetto II.  I like it because it seems to clear up space to get to the PID.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Jul 9, 2011, 4:10pm

I was happy enough with the standard rotary valve on my old machine, and was frankly a little concerned about how the joystick on my new rig would work out, especially since the new crop of home machines produce, in general, much more steam at higher pressure than previous generations.

Count me as a convert - I would not want to go back to a standard valve.  I've found that tuning the pressure in real time with the lever is just as easy as using a turning valve, but you can react even faster.  But likely most important is the instant shut-off.  My milk steaming is usually working on very small quantities -  just two or three ounces - and with all those bars, things happen in a hurry.  Once you feel that 150-degree sting through the pitcher, it's stop-right-now-or-go-over-temp, and the quick response of the joystick makes timing the milk to 155 a whole lot more reliable. (Keep in mind that I'm coming from the perspective of a home user; with their gallons and gallons of every-day practice, pro baristas can develop timing skills we HBs can't really match, and so their mileage may differ.)

So if you're getting a new machine, especially a dual-boiler or other designs with lots of steam and pressure, my experience says you should go for the joystick.  A decision on retrofitting an existing set-up, however, depends on how much of a challenge, if any, you're having getting the results with the flexibility you want.
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Sat Jul 9, 2011, 7:51pm

TheMadTamper Said:

I have a feeling the joystick & lever designs have more to do with preventing repetitive stress injury in commercial environments than with durability or steam performance. Rotating those knobs all day would create a nightmare for the wrists, where a joystick or lever is a vertical motion.  For home, we may drink a LOT of coffee, but not THAT much :)  Still, the sticks look fun to use!

Posted January 5, 2011 link

Actually deep thick knobs like on La Marzocco Lineas which if turning them on/off all the time do require a substantial number of turns could be a problem, but in practical use are not a problem. Simply don't turn them like a dial with your hand but rather turn them by rolling them along your wrist/forearm with a quick up or down motion depending if turning on or off and which side of the knob. Easy peasy no stress all day hundreds of on/offs.

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
auxpomme

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 4:57pm

the steam wand was pretty straightforward to install on my anita I
TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 8:54am

I was able to successfully install the joystick for the steam valve on a Rocket Cellini v2 premium plus.  Jason and some of the other guys from the tech department at CC were extremely helpful!  I had to get the adapter for the Alex to use with it, but once I had the correct tools, it was pretty straight forward. I like the way it works especially when you are finished steaming, as it is easy to pretty much instantly turn the steam off without any effort.  One thing to note was that the replacement arm hangs down lower than what came with my Rocket, so if I installed it with the big nut at the bottom as you would expect, the arm would actually run into the drip tray.  I actually decided to rotate it about 30 degrees to the left so that it wouldn't bump into the tray.  It doesn't look perfect, but I don't notice it at all.

TriHard: joystick.jpg
(Click for larger image)
auxpomme

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 8:00pm

another lefty in the world.
figured i'd add my pic here too.

auxpomme: P1040382.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Chris Coffee's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440628051758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+