Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Suitability for home use (2 lattes in morning): Nuova Simonelli 2000v, 1grp 110v
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suitability for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ganglia

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Current: Nuova Simonelli...
Grinder: Current: Baratza Preciso....
Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 3:06pm
Subject: Suitability for home use (2 lattes in morning): Nuova Simonelli 2000v, 1grp 110v

Hi,

I've come across a good local deal on a Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000v, 1group, 110v.

My primary use:
  • 2 lattes in the morning.
  • On weekends, perhaps another two in the afternoon.
  • And occassionally (once a month), 5-6 lattes when entertaining.

Is this suitable?

My current concerns:
  • Drainage/Plumbing: Can I use it without plugging it in the drain?
  • Warming up: I'm planning to leave it on a heater to warm up 1hr before we wake up.

Anything else I should be worried about?

As for testing it before purchasing, I'm planning to take some freshly ground beans and make some latte on-site.
Is that enough?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 5:59pm
Subject: Suitability for home use (2 lattes in morning): Nuova Simonel0v

hi and welcome.

you will not be able to use that machine with out a good espresso grinder.  you cannot use freshly ground coffee as in bringing it home from the store already ground. aside from the fact that the coffee will be stale as ground coffee is stale in 15 minutes from when you grind it, you need to be able to adjust the grind for the way the shot is pulling and without a grinder there is no way to make an adjustment.
other than that that machine would be able to do anything you wanted to do.

you can run the drain into a bucket with a hose, that is how I have my machine setup and it is infinitely better than continuously emptying that small drip tray.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ganglia

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 6:27pm
Subject: Re: Suitability for home use (2 lattes in morning): Nuova Simonel0v

I already have two good grinders, a Fiorenzato T80 and a LSM SM-90.

Good point about adjusting the grind, I can take my grinder with me and grind there.

For testing brew capability, Is that the best way to do a pre-purchase inspection?

For steaming, do you recommend just trying to take out some steam and count the #seconds steam comes out.

Anything else to look out for.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 6:03am

Yes, take a grinder and fresh coffee.

It takes at least half an hour to warm up, any machine does but one like this takes at least that long and more is better. All you can do to check it out is to give it a good look over, look inside if the seller will let you, are there signs of leaking? How clean is it, what is the over all condition of the  machine.

The answers to the above questions are not a lock that it is in operating condition but it will give you a hint at the kind of life it has had. I have machines that looked great but had issues and I have bought machines that look NASTY and the work fine, it just, ...... depends.

Pulling some shots will give you a look at how well it is working. Try all the buttons, they may or may not be programmed. Often they will be all the same if they are in default status but there is no way to know until you use them.

There should be no odd noises, leaks etc. If it works, it is likely that all is OK. The static boiler pressure should be between 1.0 to about 1.4 bar (this is boiler temp). If it is plumbed in, the brew pressure gauge will show the pressure of the water in the plumbing system it is connected to in a static condition. When brewing, it should hit about 9 bar, give or take a little. There is no assurance that the gauges are reading correctly as they do wear and change over time but if they show normal readings, they are likely OK. If they are off, use that as a point to try to reduce the price (anything you can point out is leverage but it may or may not get you anywhere depending on how much the seller knows) Gauges being off are no big deal but if they are reading off, you will need to check out pressure/temp with your own instruments for proper adjustment if you buy the machine.

In short, if it looks OK and works OK, it likely is OK.

LOL! it is clear you have never operated this class of machine, turning the steam on and seeing how long it steams..... it will steam until the tank runs out of water! The machine auto fills the boiler as it uses the water and the heater is big enough to just continue generating steam so you will be there a while! There will be a period of time when the steaming is stronger, when the reserve heat has been used from the boiler and you are only on the heater, it will be lower pressure,  but it should continue to steam for a LONG time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
naimnut

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 11:33am
Subject: Suitability for home use (2 lattes in morning): Nuova Simonelli 2000v, 1grp 110v

Sorry, no, that machine won't be suitable for your home use. You need to email me the contact information for that seller...

;>)

Shyeah that machine ought to do the trick -
ganglia

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 3:49am

calblacksmith Said:

Yes, take a grinder and fresh coffee.

It takes at least half an hour to warm up, any machine does but one like this takes at least that long and more is better. All you can do to check it out is to give it a good look over, look inside if the seller will let you, are there signs of leaking? How clean is it, what is the over all condition of the  machine.

The answers to the above questions are not a lock that it is in operating condition but it will give you a hint at the kind of life it has had. I have machines that looked great but had issues and I have bought machines that look NASTY and the work fine, it just, ...... depends.

Pulling some shots will give you a look at how well it is working. Try all the buttons, they may or may not be programmed. Often they will be all the same if they are in default status but there is no way to know until you use them.

There should be no odd noises, leaks etc. If it works, it is likely that all is OK. The static boiler pressure should be between 1.0 to about 1.4 bar (this is boiler temp). If it is plumbed in, the brew pressure gauge will show the pressure of the water in the plumbing system it is connected to in a static condition. When brewing, it should hit about 9 bar, give or take a little. There is no assurance that the gauges are reading correctly as they do wear and change over time but if they show normal readings, they are likely OK. If they are off, use that as a point to try to reduce the price (anything you can point out is leverage but it may or may not get you anywhere depending on how much the seller knows) Gauges being off are no big deal but if they are reading off, you will need to check out pressure/temp with your own instruments for proper adjustment if you buy the machine.

In short, if it looks OK and works OK, it likely is OK.

LOL! it is clear you have never operated this class of machine, turning the steam on and seeing how long it steams..... it will steam until the tank runs out of water! The machine auto fills the boiler as it uses the water and the heater is big enough to just continue generating steam so you will be there a while! There will be a period of time when the steaming is stronger, when the reserve heat has been used from the boiler and you are only on the heater, it will be lower pressure,  but it should continue to steam for a LONG time.

Posted June 8, 2012 link

Thanks for the great detailed reply!
ganglia

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 3:52am

For non-plumbed use, can I access the reservoir to use it pourover style, or dip an intake pipe into a water container (like I do with the Francis X5),
Or do I HAVE to get a flojet?
ganglia

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 10:58pm

I got it!!! It only had one issue, the dispersion screen was completely blocked. Some aggressive cleaning and now it's unblocked!
I'll give it an overnight soak in Cafiza ("green" version).

SO, the only thing stopping me from using it now is.... water intake (I cant plumb it yet).
The machine came with an Everpure filter, which is rated for Min. Pressure of 0.7bar.

Two questions:
- If I want to use the filter, do I have to use a flojet?
- If I don't use the filter, can I just stick the intake line into a 1gallon milk jug?
bigfatcat

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 4:01pm

ganglia Said:

- If I want to use the filter, do I have to use a flojet?

Posted June 10, 2012 link

I'm not sure.

ganglia Said:

- If I don't use the filter, can I just stick the intake line into a 1gallon milk jug?

Posted June 10, 2012 link

Yes. The rotary pump doesn't require positive input pressure. I ran my Mac Digit out of a jug with no problems for a while, before plumbing in. Do not be afraid of plumbing, though. It can be as simple as a $0.99 tee-joint and 30 seconds unscrewing the cold-water faucet hose on your kitchen sink.

Also, if you're going to be putting this machine on a timer before waking up, there's a good chance you'll have to clean the vacuum breaker valve for false-pressure issues. My Mac Digit was quite stubborn when it came to this. You'll know if this is an issue for you if the pressure drops to zero right after opening the steam valve in the mornings.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suitability for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430209875107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+