Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Moving to the bigger leagues, suggestions welcome
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Moving to the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
nebber

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 5:41pm
Subject: Re: Moving to the bigger leagues, suggestions welcome

Finally got my taxes filed... My wife let me get this as early father's day present... lots of amex points later... my breville dual BOILER and Baratza Preciso showed up today.  I will be waking up to my first shot (or many practice shots) with newly roasted beans (roasted on 6/5) from Voltage in Cambridge.

Any one trolling the forums late tonight - I would love suggestions on what grind setting to start with for a double shot using the above equipment?
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 7:11pm

nebber Said:

Finally got my taxes filed... My wife let me get this as early father's day present... lots of amex points later... my breville dual BOILER and Baratza Preciso showed up today.  I will be waking up to my first shot (or many practice shots) with newly roasted beans (roasted on 6/5) from Voltage in Cambridge.

Any one trolling the forums late tonight - I would love suggestions on what grind setting to start with for a double shot using the above equipment?

Posted June 8, 2012 link

I have a CC1 and the Preciso.
Your grind setting will vary depdending on several things but particularly how your grinder is calibrated (the Barartza website has instructions on this).
If it's calibrated for "finest" you will probably wind up at 4 or 5 for espresso (possibly 6 but I suspect not).

If it's calibrated otherwise, you may have to go to the 1-3 realm (in which case, you may want to recalibrate).

The correct grind is a bit finer that granualted sugar.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 7:42pm

A am using the Preciso with a 10 macro for espresso with a Gaggia Classic.  Gaggia pressure set to 9.5 bar.  The Preciso review suggests 10 macro as a start, and worked for me.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 1:03am

calblacksmith Said:

A voice of caution here.
The BDB is VERY new and the manufacturer has a VERY bad reputation for quality. The first run of those machines had some issues but Brevelle did seem to handle the situation. It checks all the WOW boxes but at it's price point I can't help but see short cuts in components, the thin shell of the machine is one example.

Will it be a long lasting machine? Well, no one knows, it seems to be off to a good start but my personal money would not be invested as a beta tester, I am waiting a few years to see how it holds up over time before I can recommend it. There are several design choices they made such as not being able to descale it yourself, that I just can not agree with.

The owners of them here, seem to be very happy with them and you will hear hearty support for them from those owners.

Only you can decide if the BDB has proven it's self to your satisfaction but the consensus of most of the long time members here are taking a wait and see posture about this machine. Just a word of caution, something to think about.

Others have covered the grinder issue, the grinder is king and the machine plays a support role in the espresso equation.

Posted May 25, 2012 link

Well, at least you went into it with your eyes wide open.
I hope it all works out well for you.
It will take a while for anyone just starting out to get to learn just what they are doing, hand in there and it will get better!

As to the grinder settings, all grinders are different and for the most part, anyones setting is good only for that particular grinder as the numbers are different for every grinder.

You will need to grind then see what the shot looks like and adjust from there.
Enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 4:13am

CalBlacksmith,

This is a short thread.
You posted your views and everyone read them before.
The OP decided not to follow your advice.
Now you are quoting yourself just to make sure everyone knows what you think.
Which is not at all objective advice about the machine.

You may or may be right about longevity as Peter says in his reply, but your way of stating it,
which essentially denies the many reports of how well these machines work and instead, calls these
valuable features "WOW boxes" is not a fair evaluation. Are they "WOW" features on a GS/3 or do
you think they are useful to have on the GS/3 and just window dressing on the BDB?
To keep repeating your concerns to the point of quoting yourself in a short thread is just weird. Do the rest of us need to come back and repost our earlier posts before giving advice on the grinder issue?

For Nebbers, just dive in and get grinds all over your kitchen.
With the feature set on this machine, if you use fresh beans and just vary the grind till its right, you
should have good results in a very short time.

There are quite a few folks on this forum who want to tell you that making decent espresso is a very difficult,
dark art. At least with the BDB and its "WOW" features, this just hasn't been my experience.
nebber

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 6:33am
Subject: Re: Moving to the bigger leagues, suggestions welcomet

JJC,

Thanks for the encouragement. Did a bunch this morning. Got a lot of fast pulls at too low pressure. Finally got up to 7.5-8 bar, but still only like 15 seconds after the first drip (which is coming at 10 sec or so). I think I need to get finer - posted about it in the grinder forum.  Will keep experimenting.

Good textured milk is easy - I even started playing with my latte art.

Quick question. When people talk about pull time - is that from start (so what I describe above is 25 sec)? Or is it from the first drip (so what I described above would only be 15 sc).

Sorry for the newbie questions.
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 6:44am

Grind finer, but I don't know anything about your grinder.

BDB folks typically time from the first drip so what you are doing would be referred to as 15 sec.

I agree, texturing milk is really easy with this machine.
And if you add milk to your fast shots they probably taste really good anyway.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:24pm

Definitely grind finer. The two symptons you posted (low pressure and fast shots) can both be indicators of that. And I concur with JJC that the timing should be at the first drop.

Keep up the experimenting! One day you're going to pull a shot that looks good and tastes even better, and then it's all gravy from there.

-Dave-
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 7:51pm

Jim, I didn't intend to gore your specific ox, if I did, I'm sorry.

The BDB will never be a GS3 no matter how much anyone would want it to be so. To keep using that machine as a bench mark is not fair to the GS3, the build quality of the GS3, puts the BDB squarely into the counter top appliance that Brevelle is so famous for.

I really DO hope things work out well for the OP, I do not want anyone to get burned and I hope no one is.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
SamTonin
SamTonin
Expertise: Professional
Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 11:56am

I understand completely what you're all saying and after spending some time with the Encore, I'm not as pleased with it as with the Virtuoso. The blades are designed to be less sharp and its very noisy.

True that you don't want to go cheap on a grinder, but the modified Virtuoso is pretty good value.

Congratulations on the machine mate!

Either grind finer, up the dose or increase the temperature.

Are 9 bars of pressure your target?

My micro-roastery is up and running, be sure to check it out! www.beanofatree.com.au
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Moving to the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423341989517)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+