Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Saeco Rio Vapore Grouphead Cleaning
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Rio Vapore...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Pnwskier

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 9:06am
Subject: Saeco Rio Vapore Grouphead Cleaning

I decided to resurrect a 20 year-old Saeco Rio Vapore that has been sitting unused for 10+ years.  For the first few days, all was well.  Steam came out the steam wand, and it pulled a few shots okay.  However, after a couple days, it began to take longer and longer for water to come through the portafilter.  Now, nothing comes through.  The steam wand still works, but when I hit the brew button, the machine just makes noise and no water comes through.  I removed the sheet metal cover and can see that water is just not moving through the system when the brew button is on.

I tried descaling, but it had no effect.  I suspect the grouphead is plugged (while awaiting delivery of a good grinder, I was grinding beans at the store on the finest setting).  I removed the big screw that holds the screen and am now faced with the slotted screw underneath, which appears to be seized tight.  I just bent a quarter trying to turn it.  I thought about trying a little WD-40 before trying again, but thought it might be a bad idea to spray oil in that area.

Am I on the right track to be trying to clean the grouphead, and am I going about it the right way (i.e. to try to clear it from below)?  If so, what is the best way for me to try to get that screw to budge?  I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 10:18am
Subject: Re: Saeco Rio Vapore Grouphead Cleaning

I would try the largest screwdriver that will fit the screw before I resorted to any lubricant spray.  If you don't have the proper screwdriver, it would worth your trouble to pick one up.  Taking the drip tray out and tilting the machine allow you to use a long screwdriver and you may even have to use a set of pliars on the screwdriver handle. Patience, Grasshopper...

Bill
Pnwskier

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:14am

Thanks for the reply.  I saw that somebody else used a chisel and I tried that but could see that it was beginning to damage the screw, so I stopped.  I'll head to the hardware store and try to find a wide screwdriver.  It's really frozen in there, however, so I'm losing hope...
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:27am

If a chisel didn't work, you may have to resort to penetrating oil and then rubbing alcohol to get rid of the oil residue.  It looks like you may be needing another screw too after this operation.  Good luck...

Bill
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:54pm

Why not try taking out the boiler...it's really easy actually and I have done that with a few Starbucks Barista machines.  You can then give the boiler a really good cleaning inside...you would be surprised how much gunk that can accumulate.   Here's the guide I used: Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Pnwskier

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 2:59pm

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give that a try, because even with a big screwdriver I can't budge that screw.  Can I more or less skip most of the early steps in the structions and go right to step 7 or 8?  It looks like I mainly need to unplug some connectors and loosen that small 2mm screw to disconnect the steam wand knob.  I don't have an 8mm big driver, so it looks like another trip to the hardware store will be necessary.

Failing all this, can anyone recommend a good espresso repair company in Portland, OR?  This machine is worth salvaging.
Pnwskier

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 7:23pm

Okay, I figured out how to get the boiler out and took it apart.  There was almost no buildup of crud on the inside of the boiler.  This machine is pristine.

I'm looking at the bottom half of the boiler, the piece with the long stem that sticks up, and the slotted screw on the underside.  I'm not sure what to do next.  That screw on the underside is still frozen tight, but it looks like the stem can be unscrewed.  Have I actually gotten nowhere if I'm unable to remove that slotted "valve holder screw for boiler Jacobs inox" (as I see it is called on the partsguru.com exploded diagram?  Or can this be approached from the inside, where the stem is.  I'm tempted to use some penetrating oil and try the big screwdriver approach again.  Again, thanks for any help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Rio Vapore...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357034921646)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+