Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New here
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New here  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
aaronjunited

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 2:35pm
Subject: New here

Hello I'm debating on buying an espresso machine or a normal coffee machine.

I don't think I've tasted an espresso before. But I love coffee.

What I need to know is can I use normal coffee in an espresso machine or do I need to buy ground coffee for espresso machines.

Is espresso better than filtered coffee?

I am planning on buying this machine? - Click Here (www.very.co.uk)

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Aaron.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 4:52pm
Subject: Re: New here

Aaron,

My suggestion to you would be to get espresso at a shop that knows how to pull it and has the equipment to do so. Then once you figure out if you like it, you can then start to read up on the specifics. I would suggest reading up on here and HomeBarista.com if you want to learn about the different nuances of espresso and machines. But once you do your reading, you'll realize that your first order of business is the grinder, not the machine.

aaronjunited Said:

Is espresso better than filtered coffee?

Posted June 22, 2012 link

This isn't a better or worse discussion. This all comes down to preference and coffee. For instance, I've found some coffees I like better as a filtered coffee and some I like better as an espresso. It isn't a matter of better or worse; they're just different.

Good luck.

-Dave-
aaronjunited

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 4:56pm

Thanks for that Dave.

Its not essential for a grinder is it? I can use ground coffee no?
chasemonster
chasemonster

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 5:29pm

aaronjunited Said:

I am planning on buying this machine? - Click Here (www.very.co.uk)

Have you checked the ebay prices on those machines? CLICK HERE
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 6:21pm

aaronjunited Said:

Its not essential for a grinder is it? I can use ground coffee no?

No. You need a grinder. There are alternatives, but they are a compromise and you would be best off getting a better coffee maker instead of a low-end espresso machine..:

A good grinder should be the first thought regardless what brewing method you are considering. Good coffee starts with fresh coffee and for that you need to grind per use using fresh-roasted coffee beans.
For a grinder check Baratza
Brewing: The Espro press is EXCELLENT.
Also Behmor has a new brewer that will (may) soon be available that shows promise. I have not heard any dates yet.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 9:16pm

frcn Said:

No. You need a grinder.

+1. I know that you're thinking to yourself, "what's the big deal if I just get it pre-ground?" And if we're talking about espresso, well there's a rather lengthy answer. But let's just talk about filter coffee.

Ground coffee stales faster than any other food product that I know of. Once ground, it starts to go stale the first 15 min (some say in 60s). Even unground, whole bean coffee starts to really lose it luster after 2 weeks.

So yeah, a grinder is absolutely essential for a quality product (but not as essential as good coffee is). A good hand grinder (like the Hario Skerton) is a good cheap option and the Baratza Encore is a fantastic non-espresso grinder. I actually just got my father one for father's day.

-Dave-
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 7:52am

Find the best coffee place in your city (it probably won't be a chain like Starbucks) and go buy a shot of espresso and a latte. Do this a few times spread over a week or so. If you find yourself wanting more, then dive deeper into the world of espresso but be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars (probably more like $1000).

Read some of the archives here and pretty soon you will find out that espresso is all about the grinder and super fresh beans. It's an expensive and relatively high maintenance pursuit.

I would recommend buying a good coffee set up (these can be very inexpensive) and go out for espresso.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 9:37am

In addition to finding a good place by you (not Starbucks), pay attention to the coffee as well. Should have a nice rich crema, if none or very little avoid. If it taste sour or bitter avoid etc. Just as an example there are a ton of coffee shops around me and South FL in general, however only a handful actually know how to make a real nice Espresso.

But you have to try first, who knows, you may actually not like it.... can't really compare to filter coffee, too different.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New here  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.416519880295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+