Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Which Gaggia would you go with?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
OrPhEuS
OrPhEuS
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso/Hario...
Roaster: WB Poppery I and Poppery II
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 12:21pm
Subject: Which Gaggia would you go with?

I have searched through this site, sat through a few whole latte love review videos, but I am still unsure which machine would be the best investment for me: New Baby, Baby Class, or Classic. I see 3+ years ago the Classic seemed the way to go, but does this hold true today?

I already have a Virtuoso Preciso and have been hobbling along with my Starbucks/Saeco with a NP portafilter, but I'm overdue a big birthday gift and have been considering upgrading my machine. The SB/Saeco has gotten me through for several years, but the time involved in brewing and steaming milk (especially the milk!) is too much. The reason I've settled on these three is the price point. They're currently all between $340 to $375. It would be used mostly for lattes with occasional straight shots. So I guess two questions of the experts out there - which would you get and why, and am I missing another quality option at this price point?

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: Which Gaggia would you go with?

I was considering the Classic over the others because I didn't have to worry about electronics, and I liked the three-way solenoid valve that the Saeco doesn't have.  But if you are already using a non-pressurized portafilter, I'm not sure how much more you'll get out of the Gaggia. WLL talks about a small boiler so it has a fast recycle time, so that might help some.

If it was me (and I know it isn't), since you already have a Preciso I'd save up for a few more months, and buy a Crossland CC1. I have one and the PID is nice so you don't need to temperature surf anymore. And the thermoblock and auto-fill boiler mean you can transition from steam to brew fast, and can do large amounts of milk without burning up the boiler. To me it's the logical upgrade, even for a few hundred more.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 12:58pm

Of the Gaggia machines ... I prefer the Classic. What I like about the Classic:
the large water reservoir and how you can see it from the front.
The large (compared to other Gaggia models) drip tray and how easy it is to dump
3-way solenoid valve and OPV
So simple, no complicated circuits to fail
The top is good for setting your cups etc. (many other Gaggia models haven't got the flat top cup warmer spot)
Tried and true - parts readily available

Most people say the 58mm portafilter is a big advantage - and it is nice to be able to buy different baskets and tampers so easily.  But I have used machines like the one you have now with the 53mm filter (if I understood correctly what you already have) and I actually prefer the smaller Portafilter as far as quality of shots - they do a great job.  with the non pressurized basket you've converted to, you should be able to get very good shots with what you have.

You would have an upgrade by going to the classic by way of the 3-way valve and larger tray/reservoir.  But I'm not sure that it would be enough of an upgrade to jump unless your current machine is on its last legs.
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 1:07pm

Of the three, I would get a classic, I used a PID'ed one for a couple years, and it is a nice machine for the price.

But, if you pull mostly milk shots, you will have the same time problems you have now.

Maybe save up for a lower cost HX instead?  Or there are some alternatives, like the already suggested CC1, or the Silvano.

Randy
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337289094925)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+