Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 8:38am
Subject: Re: ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group

JohnLyn Said:

Can you comment on espresso quality and microfoam quality?

Posted December 27, 2011 link

The Rocket does a great job in both areas. The machines use a E61 group for temperature stability when brewing.  I've been able to consistently make excellent tasting espresso drinks with my Giotto.  

The machines are powerful steamers with dry steam.  I can make good microfoam for lattes with no problems.
 View Profile Link to this post
bbnox

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Prem plus
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: Hario v60
Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 6:24pm

Hi everyone, I just recently joined the WHEEE ROCKET owner club, buying the cellini premuim plus. Just a quick question is it normal for the boiler manometer to jump from .8 to 1.0 pressure every 30-45 secs? Also i have the machine running for quite along time during the day and I see in the videos on youtube about the water dancing after a few hours of non use of the machine. When i flush there is no dancing from the group head but when i pull water from the water wand i can see and hear the water flash to steam just not at the group head. I was wondering if this means my machine is not at the temperature its suppose to be? Should i up the pressure on the sirai pressure stat to maybe 1.1?

Thank you,
bb
jonathanb
jonathanb
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Professional
Grinder: Compak K3 Elite
Roaster: Stovetop Popper
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 1:51am

Hello, hope someone might be able to help me with a simple question about my Rocket Professional.    The brass adapter connecting the machine to the braided hose that came with the machine has a crack.  I'm not sure what kind of adapter that is, any ideas?

Thanks for reading.
bobbytoad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:41am

looks like the new v2 machines have insulation on their boilers (amongst other upgrades) - see seattle coffee gear video on youtube
does any one know how easy or if its possible at all to insulate the boilers of the existing machines?
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: Vetrano2b,R58,VetranoHX
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Pharos
Drip: NS Elli,GrimacMini
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 8:48am

Hey guys, I made a thread but figured this might be a better place to get help with my beloved Giotto.

I recently had to reset the red temperature safety button on top of the machine, but after that the boiler gauge was acting a bit weird showing low temperatures and within the first day or two the needle was staying at the bottom even though the machine seems to warm up to the proper temp. I descaled it not long ago and the water looked fine. After hitting that red button, is there anything else that I need to with adjusting the pressure stat (etc), or should it be operating at the same temperature as before?

Also, my steam pressure has been a bit disappointing. Can the fill level be adjusted to increase steam pressure? When I google this I only find instructions for replacing the fill sensor.

Also has anyone filmed a video showing microfoam technique with the old Giotto right to left pivoting steam wand? How long does it take you guys to steam milk for a small latte (I usually steam 3-4 ounces) with a single hole tip? If anyone wants to chat about their experiences or share tips, I'm totally down for chatting through gmail, skype, facebook, AIM, etc.

Thanks!
Ben

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: Vetrano2b,R58,VetranoHX
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Pharos
Drip: NS Elli,GrimacMini
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 4:33pm

Hey guys, the low water reservoir sensor has never been hooked up since I bought my Giotto. I'm hoping someone can take photos of which wires need to be connected to get it working again. I think the machine will be finding a new home with a good friend of mine, so any quick help would really make my day!

Thanks,
Ben

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-1E mod, VL/terranova,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 5:32am

boyscout Said:

Count me in.  After months in an agony of indecision reading strong opinions about various machines, I decided to buy a Vibiemme DoubleDomo, and headed to a dealer in my region to pick one up.  I came home with... a Rocket Giotto Professional!  After a week of use, I'm very pleased.

Just two disappointments.

1)  The rotary pump is surprisingly noisy, almost as noisy as the vibrating pump in the same machine

2)  It wastes a LOT of heat from its un-insulated boiler.  When left on all day, cups left on top were almost too hot to handle, and the kitchen cupboard above the machine became very warm, no food could have been kept in it.  The heating element clicked on very frequently, I didn't time it, but maybe every ten minutes or so, so I worried about energy use.

To address the latter problem I just this morning completed the task of insulating the boiler.  At a plumbing supply place I got a sheet of half-inch glass insulation with a foil-paper backing, and some aluminum foil tape.  There are many pipes and sensors going in/out of the boiler, but with two largish pieces and several smaller ones I was able to cover most of the boiler, being careful not to let any aluminum rest near electrical contacts.

The difference is already obvious after a few hours.  The cupboard above the machine is just above room temperature, items on top are warm but not hot, and the heating element cycles on less frequently.  Curiously, I also seem to be getting better brew pressure, though I did not adjust the Sirai.  Boiler pressure is still just around 1 bar, maybe very slightly higher, but while I was usually getting just over 8 bars brew pressure before, two pulls this morning have been up at about 9.

I'm feeling love, and would be pleased to see a Giotto group form here.

Posted January 6, 2010 link

Hi all:

After reading this Thread I ended up buying a Rocket R-58.  Yes it has insulated boilers and can be plumbed in, which I did do.  This Rocket has many of the problems that other models seem to have.

1.  There is a strange noise that happens when the boilers are filling (I think that is the time) and it is not always associated with the rotary pump working.  It is a cross between a screech and a loud buzz which almost drowns out the rotary pump.  I wish I knew what it is...

2.  I plumbed the machine in with a Mavea adjustable bypass filter/softener and that aspect works very well although I did re-adjust the pressure setting to read 9 Bars at idle & 9.5 under brew pressure.  The small adjusting nut under the machine is easy to get to without lifting the machoine but the owners manual is incorrect in the direction that they say to turn the nut to adjust the pressure.  The manual that came with the R-58 appears to be for a Celini or Giotto.

3.  I also plumbed in the drain.  Boy, what a joke that thing is!  That small tubing will get hot and flatten itself as it makes the bend going into a hole in the countertop.  I drilled in and tapped a 1/2" brass elbow into that small catch basin and ran 1/2" copper all the way to a bucket under the sink, which is adjacent the machine.  I tried plumbing it into the garbage disposal/dishwasher puke tube junction but there was not enough gravity pressure to get it to flow into the disposal easily.  The bucket works great!

4.  The top of the Rocket does get really hot in spite of the insulated boilers and I am considering insulating the underside of the cabinet to keep its contents from cooking.

I sure wish I knew what that strange buzzing noise was, other than that the machine pulls great shots and has more than enough steam for my wife's mocha's.
dsblv

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:09am

The Rocket has an autofill feature and the buzzing noise is the pump filling one of the boilers.  The noise is louder than when pulling a shot.  Don't know why, but the noise is normal.  

The top of the machine will still get hot, regardless of the insulation.   This is typical of most espresso machines of this class.  People use the space to heat their shot glasses or cups.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-1E mod, VL/terranova,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:41am

dsblv Said:

The Rocket has an autofill feature and the buzzing noise is the pump filling one of the boilers.  The noise is louder than when pulling a shot.  Don't know why, but the noise is normal.  

The top of the machine will still get hot, regardless of the insulation.   This is typical of most espresso machines of this class.  People use the space to heat their shot glasses or cups.

Posted June 26, 2012 link

So, is there a separate pump for filling the boilers?  Like a vibrating pump?  The noise is definitely NOT the rotary pump and I hear the noise whether the rotary pump is pumping or not.

As for the heat on top of this machine, it is pretty significant.  You could dry your laundry in the cabinet above the machine.  I have had family living in Italy for 600 years and I am pretty familiar with espresso machines in general, but my only experience with home machines is with the Rancilio Silvia which seemed more normal in regards to heat.

The noise has me a bit spooked and I just noticed that today WLL pulled the R-58 from their sales offerings.  Something is afoot...
dsblv

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:49am

There isn't a separate pump for autofill.  The rotary pump does both jobs.  If things don't seem normal, then I would recommend calling WLL and see what they say.

Double boiler machines are going to produce more heat than a small single boiler machine.  The Silvia only had a 10 oz. boiler, after all.
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.459820985794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+