Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
18 grams in a double, tripple or other basket?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 18 grams in a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
j123

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 3:39pm
Subject: 18 grams in a double, tripple or other basket?

The brewing instructions for black cat espresso call for 18g of coffee.

Should I jam this into a double basket or under fill a triple basket?

Or do I have to buy a special 18g basket?
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 3:56pm
Subject: Re: 18 grams in a double, tripple or other basket?

How big is your triple? 20g? 18g basket would be ideal, but I would lean toward overdosing rather than under. That's just me.

-Dave-
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 5:51am

My normal dose is 18g in a double basket. I have put in as much as 22 g but that is not the norm for me. I found that I really do not get any use out of my triple basket and just stay with my double. Try it both ways and see which you prefer, either would be OK but I tend to see 18 g in a triple basket as being under dosed. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 9:41am

^ +1

I do use my triple routinely, and I dose at 20g, but there's room to dose closer to 22g without frank overdosing.  I would stick with the double for 18g.  If you do and feel you're overdosing, you might want to look into splurging for a VST...or better yet...see how you like other doses of Black Cat.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
j123

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 4:51pm

thank you for the info. I have a standard silvia double basket. The only way I can fit 18 grams in is if I partially fill the basket, tap lightly on the counter to distribute, fill more and tap against the counter before tamping.

otherwise it just overflows

is that standard procedure?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 9:00am

some people do that, yeah.  I was taught that method when I went to my Barista training course at Klatch Roasting...and I had a Silvia at the time.  I don't use it anymore as I find that for my equipment it leads to an overdosed shot that I don't like.  I would recommend you take "18g" as a suggestion and adjust dose to your machine/equipment and taste.  

There are lots of ways to dose, and once you find one that works for you, the best thing to do is keep it consistent.  My method is to simply fill my basket as centered as possible, and then use a N, S, E, W -esque finger sweep to level and distribute the grinds (trying very hard not to apply any downward pressure while I sweep), then I tamp, just until I feel the grinds compressed (about 20-30 lbs).  I do it this way every time, and for me (again, I'm using a triple basket w a naked pf) I get 20 g every time I weigh it (which is only occasionally to make sure I haven't lost my touch).  I adjusting my grind as necessary to vary shot timing.  YMMV, however.

I highly suggest reading Randy Glass's (frcn) easy guide to better espresso (article 12 under "how-to"), on his website www.espressomyespresso.com

j123

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 2:16pm

after some additional experimentation, there is just no way to jam 18 grams into the standard silvia double basket. No amount of knocking, tamping or distributing was able to get the puck low enough to leave any space between the screen.  If this is the case, what basket are people using?

I've had some success at the 15 gram level, but the espresso seems to be missing a certain "brightness"
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 2:56pm

are you that glued to using Black Cat?  Nothing wrong with that if you are, but I'm just wondering.  Me, it's not my favorite, but some people really love it.  I can't tell you what others use for dosing black cat in a silvia, but I use Strada baskets (which are very similar to VST and they fit my rancilio oem pf handles...and my silvia when I still had it.

germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 4:23pm

j123 Said:

after some additional experimentation, there is just no way to jam 18 grams into the standard silvia double basket. No amount of knocking, tamping or distributing was able to get the puck low enough to leave any space between the screen.  If this is the case, what basket are people using?

I've had some success at the 15 gram level, but the espresso seems to be missing a certain "brightness"

Posted July 1, 2012 link

Different "double baskets" from different manufactures (in some cases from the same manufacture) will hold varying amounts of grinds. Different beans and the different fineness of grinds they require can alter the max amount that will fit in the same baskets. I have a ton of different baskets from different manufactures and out of these I have my favorites, what I use is usually defined by the bean or blend I am using. Right now I am on a HQ triple basket kick, this thing will do 21g and can be overdosed to 26g no problem with my machine for many beans however they only make a 14g basket and a triple. VSTs are nice but you need multiple sizes to change the dose by more then 2g. The 18g VST sounds like a good match for your blackcat beans although their may be some less expensive options if money is tight.

There is an option with your stock basket, decrease the amount of liquid you extract. So if 15-16g is the max your stock basket will hold comfortably then just pull less then two ounces (not sure the specs Blackcat wants in extraction to the 18g overdose) or better yet use a scale to weight your extractions to be more precise. This is what I did with every triple basket I had before the HQ since most could barley handle much more then 22.5g and this is not much of an overdose for a full triple.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 18 grams in a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.409322977066)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+