Espresso: Espresso Machines
Single Basket 14g !!! is it me?!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Single Basket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
laythss

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M23
Grinder: La Cimbali junior
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 3:07am
Subject: Single Basket 14g !!! is it me?!

I am confused. I have a commercial La cimbali M27 machine, and it came with two portafilters, one with a single spout, and another with a double spout. also it came with a supposedly single, double and a blind basket. As i was discovering the machine and a new roasted coffee, i noticed that i have to put quite a bit of ground coffee into the single basket to be able to distribute it and then tamp it.  So i decided to double check this. my finding is that the single basket takes between 14-16g of ground coffee!! i thought singles take between 6-9g . my double takes 18-20g which i guess is the right amount. am i measuring this wrong? is this not a single basket(somewhere between a single and a double)? is it a extra capacity single basket?

Note, i am able to pull a proper shot with the basket (or so i think)... around 1oz is 26-28 seconds, sometimes with tiger stripes.

i posted the pictures on :
http://www.whitefoam.me/cgindex.html
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 6:29am
Subject: Re: Single Basket 14g !!! is it me?!

Yeah, that looks like a single basket.  You are correct it should hold about 6-9 g per shot (as a general guideline). Are you sure you remembered to tare the scale with the basket empty before adding the beans?  Most of us here don't use our single baskets.  One reason is, as you've stated, with appropriate dosing it's very difficult to distribute and tamp properly.  Another reason is, the grind disparity between single and double, is very high, much higher than between double and triple, and we don't want to have to readjust our grinder for every shot once we get it right where we want it.  If we ever need a single, we just extract a double and use only what we need for the drink.

Many people use 16-18 g in their doubles, so you're not off at all there.

Remember that the guidelines you've read are simply starting points, and you will adjust your dose and extraction rates to suit your taste, so what really matters is if you're getting shots you like to drink with your method.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 7:17am

I have a bunch of different single baskets that came with various machines I've owned over the years.  Most of them will hold 12-14 grams easily and 7 grams is just not enough in them and leaves way too much space between the top of the coffee and the shower screen.

I special ordered a 7 gram basket and although it looks very similar to the others, the wide top section is not nearly as tall ... I can dose 7 grams in that basket and get very good singles.

Click Here (www.espressoresource.com)
laythss

Espresso: La Cimbali M23
Grinder: La Cimbali junior
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 10:18am

thank you all for your reply, i suspected that a 7g single basket that comes with machine is not truly a 7g. I did contact espresso parts to see how their basket measures up and waiting for their reply.

Funny enough La cimbali distributor here in Saudi Arabia after hours of talking to them on phone and sending them pictures they comeup with the following:
- adjust dosage of grinder to dispense 7g
- dispense 7g into basket
-shake to make even
- tamp

and they send me this picture:
http://www.whitefoam.me/images/cim.jpg

i told them to send the pic to the mother company and tell me if the company approves me making a single shot as such.
oh yes, and they also said that the time it takes a machine to pour an oz of espresso depends on how 'strong' the machine is, and La Cimbali M27 is a very strong machine and could do it in 1-2 seconds!!!

I understand now why espresso in this country is pretty bad for the exception of a few.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 10:38am

laythss Said:

oh yes, and they also said that the time it takes a machine to pour an oz of espresso depends on how 'strong' the machine is, and La Cimbali M27 is a very strong machine and could do it in 1-2 seconds!!!

Posted July 1, 2012 link

1-2 seconds! Oh my. That's not strength; that's magic! I wonder what their espresso tastes like...

Just kidding, I don't really want to taste it. :)

-Dave-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Single Basket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.376802921295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+