Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cuadra II vs. Silvano
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cuadra II vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: Cuadra II vs. Silvano

JtothaR Said:

Sprites are one of two things and two things only: - grind is too coarse  - Beans are stale

Posted August 16, 2012 link

There are a lot more factors than that. Pressure settings, distribution, tamp quality, tamper profile, excessive vibration, and so on. Basically anything that can lead to cracking and channeling means messy sprites.
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Modded Oscar
Grinder: Anfim Lusso, GM 875
Vac Pot: Air Pot
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 9:03pm

scanfield Said:

There are a lot more factors than that. Pressure settings, distribution, tamp quality, tamper profile, excessive vibration, and so on. Basically anything that can lead to cracking and channeling means messy sprites.

The stuff you describe is the basics of every basket prep. If you don't have those down then neither I or anyone else can help.
Oh, and you forgot excessive dose touching the screen and cracking the puck. But I wasn't going to list every possible item since they are a given of espresso preparation. Kinda like me telling you "Maybe your car doesn't run right cause the timing is off" and you replying that maybe there is no engine at all and that's why it doesn't run, lol

Load and Lock.
Raizon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 9:54am

EricBNC Said:

Does your Costo roast on site? If not find decent fresh roasted beans. Next, try re-calibrating your Vario if you haven't tried already. Maybe your gauge is off a little - adjust to 8.5 bar when pulling the shot. Try only one thing at a time though - and start with fresh beans first.

Not sure if they roast them on site and there's no roast date on the bag.  These beans are very oily.

I already calibrated my Vario and that seem to stop the spritzing.  I'll try dropping the pressure down to 8.5 bar and getting a new bag of beans from a local roaster and see how that works out.
Raizon

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 9:58am

scanfield Said:

JtothaR Said:

The stuff you describe is the basics of every basket prep. If you don't have those down then neither I or anyone else can help.
Oh, and you forgot excessive dose touching the screen and cracking the puck. But I wasn't going to list every possible item since they are a given of espresso preparation. Kinda like me telling you "Maybe your car doesn't run right cause the timing is off" and you replying that maybe there is no engine at all and that's why it doesn't run, lol

I appreciate all your feedback.  There's definitely a huge learning curve and I hope I can get there some day.

It would be nice if I can find someone experience in Seattle to come pull a good shot with my setup.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:45am

Raizon Said:

Not sure if they roast them on site and there's no roast date on the bag.  These beans are very oily.

I already calibrated my Vario and that seem to stop the spritzing.  I'll try dropping the pressure down to 8.5 bar and getting a new bag of beans from a local roaster and see how that works out.

Posted August 17, 2012 link

Try grinding as fine as you can, choke the machine etc, and then back off from there and keep adjusting. That is the one negative, dialing in and wasting beans initially. But with the Vario and Preciso generally once you have a set range you can stay there and make adjustments here and there. Like I've found my Preciso to be good for espresso on 6 and adjust the micro here and there depending on bean type, age etc.

Costco carries a brand from down here I just ordered from, Cafe Don Pablo, but not sure how fresh they are in store. I think they mentioned something awhile back about not letting their beans go past 2-3 weeks there. But either way, you could order online from them, 2lbs fresh roasted to oder for about 20 bucks or less, can't beat that. I using their Brazil Santos off a recommendation on here and like it. They do a good amount of volume to places, restaurants whatever especially in FL, so their able to keep their cost down vs others. Just figured you could try that as you'll have 2lbs to play with vs 12oz-1lb from others within the same price when shipping is factored.

Hard to get fresh beans at any grocer type store, even Whole Foods or Fresh Market can't recall, carries Counter Culture whose highly regarded and I've yet to see their beans below 4 weeks of roast date.
Raizon

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:14pm

CMIN Said:

Try grinding as fine as you can, choke the machine etc, and then back off from there and keep adjusting. That is the one negative, dialing in and wasting beans initially. But with the Vario and Preciso generally once you have a set range you can stay there and make adjustments here and there. Like I've found my Preciso to be good for espresso on 6 and adjust the micro here and there depending on bean type, age etc.

Costco carries a brand from down here I just ordered from, Cafe Don Pablo, but not sure how fresh they are in store. I think they mentioned something awhile back about not letting their beans go past 2-3 weeks there. But either way, you could order online from them, 2lbs fresh roasted to oder for about 20 bucks or less, can't beat that. I using their Brazil Santos off a recommendation on here and like it. They do a good amount of volume to places, restaurants whatever especially in FL, so their able to keep their cost down vs others. Just figured you could try that as you'll have 2lbs to play with vs 12oz-1lb from others within the same price when shipping is factored.

Hard to get fresh beans at any grocer type store, even Whole Foods or Fresh Market can't recall, carries Counter Culture whose highly regarded and I've yet to see their beans below 4 weeks of roast date.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try to choke the machine tonight and work my way down.
I wasted a lot of beans already so at this point I'm willing to try anything.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:33pm

Raizon Said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try to choke the machine tonight and work my way down.
I wasted a lot of beans already so at this point I'm willing to try anything.

Yeh and if you have a hard time doing so, pry need to calibrate the machine which Baratza has instructions on their site how to do. When your using stale or less than fresh beans the problem is their "dialed" in settings are completely different then fresh beans (been there done that lol). So even if you can get them dialed, you'll end up getting some fresh beans and having to start over again lol.

I mentioned Cafe Don Pablo b/c you can get 2lbs fresh roasted and shipped for 20 bucks or less, so that way you have some flexibility to dial in vs keep buying other expensive beans. Unless you have a roaster close by that's reasonable to just pickup from. I.E. for 20 bucks I get 2lbs shipped vs paying 17-20++ shipped for 1lb from others. But with 2lbs or more your going to need some good storage, I use the Ball pint size jars that are freezer safe, their air tight.

Fresh beans, like other said also try WDT to distribute (I just use a needle and cut a little yogurt plastic can to fit the PF and grind with into it), and make sure your tamping evenly.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:39pm

I think your problem is very likely the beans.  See if you can find some FRESH beans (roasted within the past 2 weeks and properly stored since then) somewhere...you're in Seattle of all places, so you shouldn't have any difficulty there at all.  That should make it relatively easy for you to find a good barista who'd be willing to come by your house for an hour or two in exchange for food, alcohol or money.  Try Vivace or Lladro (those are the only two places I know in Seattle, and both of them carry high quality freshly roasted beans for sale), or check out the regional threads for places to go, if you don't know any.

As for grind.  you're on the right track...choke the machine - then back off until it's where you want it.

Last comment...highly recommended reading...www.espressomyespresso.com - article 12 under the "how to" section (about midway down on the right side)...[easy guide to better espresso]

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 2:01pm

What temp do you have the Silvano at? If you are using Italian style roasts you are going to need to be like 198 or below.

Less water, more grounds.
Raizon

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 11:08am

I'm set my Silvano to 200.

I got some new beans and now my shots are coming out a lot better (no spritzing) and tastes a lot better than before.

The only problem I'm having now is not getting a double shot.  I use about 15g of coffee on my double.
When I pull my shot, it will start dripping in about 5 seconds and will continue to "tiger stripe" to about 23 seconds and that's when I start blonding so I stop around 25 seconds.  But when I measure the shot, it only gave me a little more than an ounce but no where close to 2 ounces.

Do I need to grind more coarse?  Any suggestions?
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cuadra II vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.499295949936)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+