Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best Super Automatic For Under $1000
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Super...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jnwessels

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 1:28pm
Subject: Best Super Automatic For Under $1000

What's your opinion?  I'm in the market for a new machine for my new kitchen.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 7:51pm
Subject: Re: Best Super Automatic For Under $1000

jnwessels Said:

Posted July 5, 2012 link

If you're set on a SA, perhaps our "resident expert" CG member Pietro will see this and respond.
He knows SA's very well.

I would ask members not to attempt to "change his mind" just yet.

At least not till Pietro posts. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rettaps

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2011 V3 Vibiemme DB Super...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh, Versalab...
Vac Pot: Cona,
Drip: Techniworm, 6 cup Chemex
Roaster: San Franciscan
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 6:07am

Possibly I might have to sell my dads Monza for $1800 plus shipping, will know more info in a week.

jnwessels Said:

Posted July 5, 2012 link

AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 7:34am

I have used the Gaggia Titanium Plus (list is around $1700 but you can always find them on sale under $1000) and the Saeco Incanto (Classic or Deluxe - Classic without LCD - Deluxe with LCD).

Most of them have the identical boilers and brew mechanism - I think Saeco makes the guts for many other companies.  Of the two I've tried (the Gaggia vs Saeco) I thought the Saeco was better even though the guts were the same.  

I see these on CL all the time for $200 or less (last one I bought was like new but steam valve leaking - I paid $75 and spent an hour cleaning it and lubing it and gave it away to a friend who thinks it's fantastic).  

People buy these at Costo - use them without cleaning/maintaining them and then when they stop working because they are plugged up from never being cleaned they go on CraigsList.

I can see the attraction ... push a button and get some coffee.  Guests are amazed and impressed.  Main thing I don't like about them is the coffee beans sitting in a heated environment going stale very quickly and the way your first cup or two will be made with old coffee grinds sitting in the grind path (it has to grind enough beans to push the old beans through the grind path to the brew device - you are always about 2 coffees worth of old grinds before you get to the fresh grinds).   It isn't anything like real espresso - but it can make a decent cup of strong coffee.

Give the first 2-3 cups to someone you don't like or who doesn't know the difference (or pour them down the sink) and then the third-fourth cup will be up to temp,fresh grinds and reasonably clean coffee path from the brew device to the spout.
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:47am

My co-worker had a Saeco, and even though he took care of it and cleaned it, the machine only lasted 40 days before he had to return it to Costco for continually having the 'red light of death'.  It was probably a sensor issue or factory defective, but it left a sour taste in his mouth for the brand.

I think my advice on SAs would be to get one with a bypass doser. Not because you need to use preground coffee, but it allows you to use cleaning tablets which might help extend the life.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:56am

It is true that they are very finicky and there are so many little things that can cause it to get into an error state - and the manual doesn't always help that much.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:23pm

I enjoyed my Krups Superauto I bought for about $350, new.  It lasted a couple years until I screwed up the grinder in it by trying to grind underroasted beans.  Probably still be using it now if it were not for that.  However, due to its annihilation I was forced to  use my La Pavoni euro config lever.  I must say that I now am making very awesome shots, much better than the super.  Just way less convenient.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 3:45pm

jnwessels Said:

Posted July 5, 2012 link

given yr assumptions I would buy the cheapest of them all, just for the convenience.... and then see what happens.....remember that buying the best Stradivari does not make anybody a violin player, so do not let anybody lure you with the concept that expensive gear will make you the master of baristas...

IMAWriter Said:

If you're set on a SA, perhaps our "resident expert" CG member Pietro will see this and respond.
He knows SA's very well.

I would ask members not to attempt to "change his mind" just yet.

At least not till Pietro posts. :>D

Posted July 5, 2012 link

Very appreciative Rob... I always made a clear  and stubborn endorsement for good superautos that just do not happen to fit into the 1000 price range, in fact I saw the post last night and decided it was not worth wasting an answer, till I read yr post, and anyway you will agree that it is difficult to beat the convenience of a superauto, since quality of brew is strictly related to beans used and daily care with grinder...(I mean with a superauto...)and that it is much easier for a novice  to make a prettty decent brew with a superauto compared to traditional gear.
Ciao, Pietro
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 4:00pm

cappuccinoboy Said:

and that it is much easier for a novice  to make a prettty decent brew with a superauto compared to traditional gear.
Ciao, Pietro

Posted July 6, 2012 link

You're most welcome, Pietro.
I am SO wanting to "turn the HX dogs loose" but I'll ask we allow the OP a moment to reflect on Pietro's closing phrase "pretty decent brew."

Jason (our OP), if you feel that pretty decent is decent enough, then by all means investigate a SA in your price range, perhaps PM Pietro for his comments on it.

If however, "decent" isn't good enough, for a few hundred more, you can have a proper espresso grinder (refurb, full warranty Baratza Preciso) and a refurb NS Oscar, tamper and milk pitcher.

I assure you, in a week you'll be making espresso and milk drinks that will be FAR better than decent.

Still, If you are set on SA, then I'd say Pietro knows this type machine about as well as anyone.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
lotusblackbox
lotusblackbox

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 9:22am

agree with IMAWriter..
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Super...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458963155746)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+