Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia OWC Replacement parts (portafilter/baskets)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia OWC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
zazz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 5:15am
Subject: Gaggia OWC Replacement parts (portafilter/baskets)

Hello, I have not been able to find anything around with info regarding the OWC and its portafilter.

My question is, are there any replacements for the OWC portafilter, or is it compatible with other gaggia models?

Also, does anyone know what size tamper is appropriate for the portafilter on the OWC?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 7:48am
Subject: Re: Gaggia OWC Replacement parts (portafilter/baskets)

Gaggia portafilters are interchangeable from one model to another;  the critical factor is the placement of the "ears" that lock it into the group head.    The aluminum portafilter  that came with the OWC was junk, so if you can find one from another model you will be happier anyway.

You need a 58mm tamper.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 7:49am

The modern Gaggia portafilters fit just fine and standard 58mm baskets and tampers work fine.

The old portafilter was aluminum the new ones will be heavy brass with chrome plating.  Most people like the heavy brass to hold all the heat.

I made a bottomless out of the old, aluminum OWC portafilter - it is so lightweight and really doesn't have much thermal mass at all.  The way I use it (since there is no clip and the basket is loose in the PF) is to grind into the basket while the PF is left on the machine.  Once I have the coffee all dosed, distributed and tamped in the basket, I unlock the PF, set the basket in and lock it back in and pull the shot.  Then I just dump the basket right out of the PF rather than trying to knock the puck out - let it cool a minute and pick up the basket and knock the puck out without the PF.  Not elegant but it works fine for me.  I have several baskets so I go ahead and prepare a different basket for the next shot while the last basket is cooling a bit before I knock the puck out.

Anyway ... you can buy a new PF for Gaggia many places online ... or you can pickup a non-working Gaggia Carezza or Espresso sometimes cheaper than a new portafilter.
zazz

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 8:03am

thanks so much!
lotusblackbox
lotusblackbox

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 9:23am

The old portafilter was aluminum the new ones will be heavy brass with chrome plating
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia OWC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392760038376)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+