Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ascaso Steel UNO Professional Espresso Machine Versus Rancilio Sylvia 2009
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Steel UNO...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Wed Oct 28, 2009, 12:09am
Subject: Re: Ascaso Steel UNO Professional Espresso Machine Versus Rancilio Sylvia 2009

I got a couple more days to decide. So far, it seems the Sylvia is the one to get in my price range.  Not exceeding the $600.00 budget, this is the only one that seems to be the most attractive out there.  Parts are widely available and support is endless.  It's ready to perform out-of-the-box - of course with some practice and tuning.  The only major complaint, I've seen is temp stability and consistency.  This is even with a PID attached.  The intra-temp between shots will overshoot w/o the PID knowing.  As some have mentioned this is when the boiler re-cycles back to optimal temp it will at times cause the group head to overshoot for the next shot, thus requiring a cooling flush.  This was found in one test after waiting 2 - 3 minutes before pulling the next shot.  I'll start a separate thread on this topic.

Thanks all for your help. I'll make sure to let you know once I hit the buy button, unless some thing better comes along prior to Friday.
 View Profile Link to this post
Derrick

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Never tried one?
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: For my next Birthday :-)
Posted Wed Oct 28, 2009, 4:56am
Subject: Re: Ascaso Steel UNO Professional Espresso Machine Versus Rancilio Sylvia 2009

Hey all,

This has been a great discussion to follow, so I will throw my $0.02 into the ring.  Here is my advice.  Put your $600.00 in an envelope somewhere and start aggressively saving the rest of your pennies until you can get a HX machine.  I have a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe myself and love it.  I don't have a PID on mine though.  I really can't imagine a Sylvia being much of an upgrade to the Gaggia you already have especially since you have a PID.  From what you have posted, it sound like your Gaggia still works, so I would hold on to it until I could make a significant upgrade on my machine.  If you could put aside $100.00 a month, then by March or April of next year you could have yourself a really nice upgrade.

Again, just my $0.02

Derrick
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: AeroPresses FTW!
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:21am

espressoaddict Said:

Any reason you bought a Watlow PID other than it is the one to buy because of it's great reputation?  The Auber PID is cheaper.

By the way, thanks for the offer, but I will probably buy new as it is easier to justify purchases with the Wife.

Posted October 27, 2009 link

Jim (MLG PIDKITS) was right here, other members attested to his selection of quality in Watlow (vs. Fuji,etc.) as well as his service after sale, and ease to install (indeed it was VERY easy) as Jim had done all the hard stuff for you. The Watlow SD3, at least mine, also had the steam function PID'd as well, which IIRC, Auber did not have at that time.

espressoaddict Said:

I got a couple more days to decide. So far, it seems the Sylvia is the one to get in my price range.  Not exceeding the $600.00 budget, this is the only one that seems to be the most attractive out there.  Parts are widely available and support is endless.  It's ready to perform out-of-the-box - of course with some practice and tuning.  The only major complaint, I've seen is temp stability and consistency.  This is even with a PID attached.  The intra-temp between shots will overshoot w/o the PID knowing.  As some have mentioned this is when the boiler re-cycles back to optimal temp it will at times cause the group head to overshoot for the next shot, thus requiring a cooling flush.  This was found in one test after waiting 2 - 3 minutes before pulling the next shot.  I'll start a separate thread on this topic.

Thanks all for your help. I'll make sure to let you know once I hit the buy button, unless some thing better comes along prior to Friday.

Posted October 28, 2009 link

The supposed 'cooling flush' is trivial...one tends to dump a half ounce of water or more to warm a cup up anyway, or flush a bit to clean the shower screen before wiping with your towel, between shots.  Temp stability and consistency improve dramatically with a PID on her, period.  If you indeed start a new thread on this topic (needed?), ensure that those that respond have personal experience pulling shots on a stock, as well as PID'd Silvia, lest you be swayed by subjective opinion over personal experience. Jim likely has enough temperature data to do a two-day Silvia Temperature symposium all by his lonesome, despite the obvious fact he sells PID kits for a meager profit. His motivation is most likely passion, not profit. :)
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Oct 28, 2009, 3:30pm

Your decision process on the Silvia is like so many before you. I think this is one reason you see little competition from other manufacturers. The legacy is more than the machine itself. I hope to look for your comparison of the Gaggia and Silvia after a few months to get familiar.  

As another noted, I'm not sure why the rush to decide either. You have a functional machine. Take your time to weigh all of your options. It sounds like you are handy enough to take on a used machine as well, to get more for your money.
espressoaddict

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Wed Oct 28, 2009, 3:56pm

Derrick Said:

Hey all,

This has been a great discussion to follow, so I will throw my $0.02 into the ring.  Here is my advice.  Put your $600.00 in an envelope somewhere and start aggressively saving the rest of your pennies until you can get a HX machine.  I have a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe myself and love it.  I don't have a PID on mine though.  I really can't imagine a Sylvia being much of an upgrade to the Gaggia you already have especially since you have a PID.  From what you have posted, it sound like your Gaggia still works, so I would hold on to it until I could make a significant upgrade on my machine.  If you could put aside $100.00 a month, then by March or April of next year you could have yourself a really nice upgrade.

Again, just my $0.02

Derrick

I appreciate the full logic in your concern and you are VERY right.  My reply below applies to you, as well.

Frost Said:

Your decision process on the Silvia is like so many before you. I think this is one reason you see little competition from other manufacturers. The legacy is more than the machine itself. I hope to look for your comparison of the Gaggia and Silvia after a few months to get familiar.  

As another noted, I'm not sure why the rush to decide either. You have a functional machine. Take your time to weigh all of your options. It sounds like you are handy enough to take on a used machine as well, to get more for your money.

You are probably right.  I cleaned the boiler thoroughly that includes using a Dremel tool with wire brush, and it's now fairly acceptable for a few shots to get me through the week.  I'm monitoring the water if any non-coffee sediments exists -- none so far.  It's very clean.

I realize the Sylvia may improve my steaming ability, but probably not so much with the Espresso making.

I haven't finalized my decision yet, as you guys are right, but I have a great deal on a new Oscar HX priced for about $900.00 Yeah, $100.00 more and I got my self an E61 from Berezza (I hope I spelled that correctly).  

Edited:
Should I go for it? Found an existing thread on this topic vs Sylvia and Oscar. Let me read that first. link  
I haven't done my home work (in progress) yet, but only concern now is PIDing this machine or is it not needed?
Now my Rancilio Rocky is probably under-kill now.  Not sure what will happen with this combination?
fhb435

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 6:23am

It's been some time since you went through this decision -- I'd love to hear where you came out, and whether you're happy with the choice? How much did you spend/ which maker did you go for?
- Frank
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Steel UNO...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.515856981277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+