Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
do it yourself espresso maker
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > do it yourself...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
myrand

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: pavoni europicolla
Grinder: not a good one
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 2:13pm
Subject: do it yourself espresso maker

hi folks
i have a cnc milling and a lathe in my garage sitting and doing nothing right now. in fact, its waiting my next freak idea.  that freak idea, its to make a coffee maker from scratch. probably during next winter when i will be stuck inside.
i have 2 concepts and dont know if one or the other have been tried. so far i didnt found any information on google, maybe someone could tell me if it has been done or not.

the first thing i've been thinking aout is a pneumatic piston operated double boiler.
easy for me to make that cylinder and piston.  with a pressure adjustment on the down stroke it should be very easy to control the pressure to be always the same, and steady.
2 boilers, 2 heaters, one for steaming, one for coffee. i could even use that air pressure to pressurize the tank and fill the cylinder.
it would be noisy, not user friendly(actually other than the fact that 2 boilers need to be filled, it should not be that bad)

another thing i was thinking about is something i red about the first espresso makers.
they were using the steam pressure to force the water trough the coffee, obviously it was too hot and was burning the coffee so they changes it a little.
now, what if i would make a tank that can accept 150 psi, fill it with water and heat that thing at the right temperature. once the right temperature achieved, pressurize the boiler to 150psi, run a hose from the bottom of that boiler to the porta filter. . .and put an electric or pneumatic valve on that line to open or close the water flow. . . . . .
150 psi on a 5in column of water should give me around 750 lbs of force. . . . . . . .then the restriction of the piping will do its job and if i am lucky i end up with too much pressure at the end. then its just a matter of adjusting.
there is a certain danger with pressurizing hot water but there are ways to put casings around and make it safe.
what concerns me is the concept.

does anything like that have been done and is known to give poor results and or good results ?
i am leaning toward pneumatic for its simplicity and the fact that this coffee maker will end up in the garage since it will probably be way too big to have it in the house.

any ideas or suggestions are welcome. there is still 5 monts before the winter. thats plenty of time.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: do it yourself espresso maker

At its core, an espresso machine is only a boiler that can supply the proper pressure to the bed of coffee at the proper temp. Your ideas cancertanly be done and are much more complicated than it needs to be to produce coffee.....but that isn't the point is it? :<D

I can see issues with using air pressure that need to be addressed. Air is compressable so you need to account for that fact. When using a water pump, the pressure stops as soon as you cut the power as water is not compressable so with air pressure you continue to apply pressure until it is dissipated. You could pressurize the boiler and use an inline valve for brewing to skirt this issue bit you still need accurate regulation which is easier with water than with air.

It sounds like you will be able to work out the issues.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 8:02pm

How about a simple machine that works like an Ararex Caravel?
click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
mhborstad

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 9:00pm

#1 is fine, but compressed air is a big hassle where you could use incompressible water instead (see #2)
#2 is every SBDU/dual boiler pump machine currently on the market.

The pressures involved are 100% non-scary if you are reasonable with your design. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!  I wish my tools weren't so far away.
myrand

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:36pm

IMAWriter Said:

How about a simple machine that works like an Ararex Caravel?
click here

Posted July 12, 2012 link

simply because i will buy a la pavoni for the house, and i would not want to end up with 2 machines that works the same. and i am buying the la pavoni simply because i want that coffee maker before christmas.. . .its my gift to myself for being a good boy in the past year :)

mhborstad Said:

#1 is fine, but compressed air is a big hassle where you could use incompressible water instead (see #2)
#2 is every SBDU/dual boiler pump machine currently on the market.

The pressures involved are 100% non-scary if you are reasonable with your design. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!  I wish my tools weren't so far away.

Posted July 12, 2012 link

well, here is the little tricks.
i am mechanic, working in a shop where we already have a ton of compressed air. at home, i have a 60 gallon tank ready to do the job,  and that coffee maker will end up. . . . . . . .in the garage. i will also make the possibility to use it in the house as well, an air compressor and a small tank doesn't takes a lot of room. i am lucky, i have lots of that stuff. we have actually a complete bar downstairs that is now transformed into the words first spice bar. this is after transforming that bar into the worlds first canned tomato bar. why not a coffee bar for the summer :)
that being said, imagine for a moment how great would be my life if one day, i could unplug my impact wrench and plug my coffee maker. . . . . . . . .it would be. . . . .original. i usually dont have customers in my shop, simply because i have none, but if they would see it, they would assume right away that the genius fixing their stuff. . . .also like good coffee.

the only thing i am thinking about the option no2 is the food grade compressed air. complicated ! it need filters, food grade lubricant, it would require a dedicated air compressor. maybe i could also find a small diaphragm compressor but i doubt that thing would go high enough in the pressures. i dont want to use a water pump, that would be too simple and i would not have 100% control on everything.
making a pneumatic operated piston type espresso maker, since the air doesn't touch the coffee, a simple filter and an exhaust far from the cup should not intoxicate me. its much more machining. need a piston, seals, cylinder, etc.

what i need in both case are boilers and heating elements. i can start gathering the stuff anyway since no matter what i do, i need 2 boilers that are about 1 liter each.  i will see if i could get a good chunk of brass for cheap.
chasemonster
chasemonster
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 5:22am

Someone named woodsman43 has a couple of "DIY" videos on YouTube that should prove to be interesting.
Here is one of them: Click Here
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 7:28am

A closed boiler pressurized manual lever like the Pavoni is substantially different from an open boiler gravity-fed system like the Caravel. Caravel group is also a truly unique design without the temperature control issues of a La Pavoni (because the water is always at precisely the temperature you need for extraction (well, at least within the limits of whatever thermostat system you're using). Quite a different beast.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 8:27am

chasemonster Said:

Someone named woodsman43 has a couple of "DIY" videos on YouTube that should prove to be interesting.
Here is one of them: Click Here

Posted July 13, 2012 link

haha I was about to post one of his vids when I saw this thread. Somehow came across this one the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3zn8Ex6BI
myrand

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:38pm

a couple monts to think about it, then the ideas start to make sens.

i have more practice on the cnc mill, i now can make stuff in a timely manner, especially drilling pannels and some small stuff like that where i just program manually.

i still dont have much budget but its all good, i am sure i can afford the metal.

now, the situation changed. i now have a la pavoni europiccola wich i love. its just beautiful.

what i want now is something automatic and easy, but 100% customisable.

the plan:

a 1 liter boiler made out of stainless. i will try to find a stainless steel tubing to make a non presurised tank.
i have a pid for the temperature control

found some 1000 watt water heating elements on ebay for cheap

procon vane pump installed underneath the boiler, just so it is almost forcefed by the weight of the water in the boiler.
i will put a little switch to make sure the thing never run dry.

brass made portafilter and a head that fits it properly with a 1/4 in long and maybe 1/16 in wide lip on the portafilter that will seal in a groove that fit as tight as possible, this should seal properly just by using an o'ring if everything is square enough.

adjustments:
using the procon pump, a 3 way  valve and a relief valve(all of these actuated manually from the front pannel)
i am expecting to be capable of: adjusting the pressure with the relief.
the 3 way will have one way from the pump, one to the tank and one to the head. it should let me start the pump and sending the flow back to the tank, it will mix the water so its even everywhere. on the other way(to the portafilter), well it will obviously force the water trough the head. i will be capable of cutting the shot longer or shorter by opening the valve to the tank again, and i am confident i will be capable of dealing with the preinfusion time with that system.

other than these 2 adjustment, i will have the pid for water temperature, manual switch to start the pump that will not start until pid reached its temperature.

what i want it to look line now:

what i would like to do, if i find the tank:
very simple desing, think about a big pipe with the flange and these oversized bolts.
this is exactly what i want. big, tall stainless steel tank, a nice flange at the top and a cover held by allen screws all around it.
front pannel will be stainless. controls on top of it.
the 3 way valve, this is the one that will send the pressure to the porta filter. i want something that i need to hold and if i release it sends the flow to the tank. that way there will be no mess and forgotten valved. that switch or valve, i would like it to look like a small beer tap. . . .

side pannels and top pannels will be one single sheet, i will have it bent to fit properly.

the rear of that thing as well as the bottom will be the vents. i hope it will be enough, i might end up installing a fan. as for the vents, holes everywhere should do the job. all the motor and heaters will be in the back anyway, it should do the trick.

next step:
find the tank. i will go see my metal supplier in january.
once i have the tank, i will get the pump, fittings, silicon hoses, find a motor and start making plans for the portafilter.

hopefully everything is done by june :)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:51am

You do not want to put hot water through the pump, it is not designed for that type of service.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > do it yourself...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.443100214005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+