Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

smikes19 Said:

I believe the closest competitor to the R58 is the Alex Duetto II.  This was my 2nd choice but the Rocket won me over.

Posted July 13, 2012 link

There certainly is a lot to be said for the Duetto II.  Double walled to reduce heat where it does not need to be and a super catch basin/drip tray and drain hose setup.
 View Profile Link to this post
MartyRey

Espresso: Rockett Espresso R58
Grinder: Baratza Varo
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 1:29pm

I generally avoid first generation products that are substantial investments, so I was concerned about the R58. However, the pull of a DB pulled me over. If I had a do-over though, I think I might purcgase the Rockett Evoluzione V2 instead. It is a stable mature design. With  Eric's thermometer as I am convinced brew temp does make a substantial difference.

The R58 would be a hands down killer machine if all the issues I raised in my earlier post were corrected on the second version of the R58. One point though is that all Rockets do have the plumbing issue as they all ship here with the British thread issue.  That is hard to understand as it is only a $5 part but one that is very hard to find. Seattle Coffee Gear sells this part, but they have been out of stock for an extended time.
smikes19

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 6:11pm

This is what I had purchased.  A little pricier, but maybe its the same if you consider shipping.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Warning,  although this is made of brass, I'm not sure if its lead free as some other brass fittings advertise to be.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MartyRey

Espresso: Rockett Espresso R58
Grinder: Baratza Varo
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 6:25pm

I just removed a prior post as the information was incorrect regarding BSPT versus BSPP threads.
smikes19

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 6:39pm

At a glance, the Rocket supplied braided line seems to be BSPP, not BSPT.  If the rocket line was tapered, the adapter would conceptually bottom out and not tighten completely.  However, the AutoMeter adapter threads in completely and seems to create a perfect seal.
smikes19

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 7:55pm

Attached is a pic of the coupler that comes attached to the swivel fitting on the R58.  I'm pretty sure it is a non-tapered fitting.

smikes19: bspp.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
lozinsky

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 11:43pm

I have a R58 on order with Espressotec (Vancouver) and they tell me it should be in next week.  So far I have not read anything that would make me not want to order it.  If it can be plumbed with the addition of a $5.00 part ordered off the internet, then no big deal.  It sounds to me like everyone who has received their machine is generally very happy, and the negatives/annoyances are small and could be left up to interpretation of the individual owner.  Half the problems I have read about don't sound like problems at all and in either case I look forward to providing my own feed back when I get the machine (hopefully) next week!

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post about their experiences so far - i have been checking the forums daily!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012, 6:13am

lozinsky Said:

I have a R58 on order with Espressotec (Vancouver) and they tell me it should be in next week.  So far I have not read anything that would make me not want to order it.  If it can be plumbed with the addition of a $5.00 part ordered off the internet, then no big deal.  It sounds to me like everyone who has received their machine is generally very happy, and the negatives/annoyances are small and could be left up to interpretation of the individual owner.  Half the problems I have read about don't sound like problems at all and in either case I look forward to providing my own feed back when I get the machine (hopefully) next week!

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post about their experiences so far - i have been checking the forums daily!

Posted July 13, 2012 link

I too am looking forward to your review of the machine.  One thing I find curious that there appears to be 2(two) different plumbing configurations.

Do you know your house water pressure or are you using a separate regulator/gauge at the unit?
ESL
ESL

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer MINI
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 9:35am

I received my R58 Friday.  When I pulled it out of the box and put it on the table I noticed the drip tray was angled at about 10 degrees and the front feet do not sit flush.  This is not normal I am assuming. I would post a picture but do not know how to shrink it to acceptable size.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 9:55am

ESL Said:

I received my R58 Friday.  When I pulled it out of the box and put it on the table I noticed the drip tray was angled at about 10 degrees and the front feet do not sit flush.  This is not normal I am assuming. I would post a picture but do not know how to shrink it to acceptable size.

Posted July 15, 2012 link

Sounds like it was damaged in shipping.  How did the exterior of the shipping box look?  Munched from dropping it??

Where did you purchase it?
showing page 8 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.4884288311)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+