Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with buying an espresso machine in the UK that produces good steam.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AlexEssex

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 6:01am
Subject: Help with buying an espresso machine in the UK that produces good steam.

Hi All,

I am upgrading my Delonghi EC710 espresso machine soon, but I am kicking myself as I cannot make my mind up which machine to go for.

My requirements:

Must produce good espresso.
Must produce constant steam (for foaming milk for mocha and hot choc).
Be no more than 300-350
Be available to buy in the UK.

I am even considering a lever arm manual machine such as the La Pavoni Europicola, this seems to be within my price range, apears to have a good flow of steam and steam wand.

My other considerations were the semi-automatic La Pavoni Paccino or Ascaso Arc (as I cannot afford the Ascaso Dream).

I want something that will compliment my Black powder coated Ascaso i2 mini.

Can anyone share any thoughts on this, thank you very much for all your help.

Alex
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:06pm
Subject: Re: Help with buying an espresso machine in the UK that produces good steam.

Alex,
a lever is not for everyone, and as a former owner of a La Pavoni (which I liked) the steaming is not it's greatest asset, due to the tight squeeze between the body and steam arm, and the overheating that takes place after several shots.
Perhaps look for a used NS Oscar. True, it won't be a match for your grinder (which you WILL eventually upgrade!!) but IMO the Oscar iOS superior to any of the machines you mentioned, and won't need to be upgraded for quite a while, if at all.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexEssex

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 1:54pm
Subject: Re: Help with buying an espresso machine in the UK that produces good steam.

Hi.

Thank you very much for the reply. I am grateful for your honest opinion as a previous La Pavoni user and owner.

Your recommended machine does indeed look nice, it appears to be sized similar to pro 1 group machine with a domestic look to it. The steam wand looks like one find on a commercial machine.

However, these machines are clearly marketed in the US and there does not appear to be many of the machines second hand here in the UK. Hence while considering Pavoni or Ascaso which seems to have a large presence in the UK aswell as Gaggia and Fracino.

Would they have an European market perhaps or similar brand or product?

Thank you.

Alex

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 2:52pm

I think you're in a bit of a gap pricewise, between the top end of the basic domestic machines, but quite a bit below any of the "prosumer" (sorry, I know it's a horrible word) machines.  

There aren't that many used ones on that well known auction site either, but this might at least be worth a look.  The Gaggia frothing device has apparently been replaced, plus a couple of other minor mods, and it is cheap at the BIN price.  

It gets marked down on user rewiews on here for poor frothing, but perhaps replacing the panarello device might have done the trick.  The seller is offering a demo and you probably aint that far away ?

Just a thought anyway.

Click Here (www.ebay.co.uk)

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 3:08pm

BTW - they aren't very common, but you can get the Oscar in the UK - it's on Amazon for one place.

Quite a bit above your top budget though.

Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 3:14pm

Run there - run run run...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 5:18pm

]

EricBNC Said:

Run there - run run run...

Posted July 15, 2012 link

That looks like a nice machine for the price.  He already made a bunch of upgrades that will make it easier to use.

The only thing I would do to it is replace the steam thermostat with a higher temp one, this will help to give you better steam.

Randy
ruby01

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 3:32am

Do U Love Espresso? It's OUR cup of tea! At The Coffee Brewers, we specialize in espresso machines and equipment for coffee bars, restaurants.

Full sized espresso machines are all plumbed, and most of them take 220 Volts. The Superautomatic espresso machines have grinders integrated into them, and can prepare a wide range of drinks automatically.

http://www.coffeeandbreakroomsupplies.com/keurig-k-cups.html
AlexEssex

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 12:00am

Hi All,

Sadly someone bidded on the Classic before I had a chance to even look at the posting.

I am pretty tempted to purchase the Classic and add the steam wand upgrade myself. Ebay sells the wand upgrade cheaper than happy donkey, so may go that route.

If I see the Rancilio Silvia on ebay I think I will bite their hands off too. If I can get a silvia for under 300 secondhand then I will be very happy.

So, the Rancilio first and if all fails the Gaggia second (with the upgrade).

Thanks.

Alex
pouxf

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Junior
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 5:23pm

Your ID name suggests that you live within easy reach of London. Why don't you visit The Coffee Machine on Kings Road? The people there are very knowledgeable and friendly. Moreover they will let you play with all their machines and I think there are some that are in your price range.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411052942276)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+