Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Buildup Question
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buildup Question  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
avaserfi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 6:06am
Subject: Buildup Question

I have a Brewtus IV-R which I purchased and plumbed in through a water filter. Shortly after getting it, I had to travel for work for 2.5 months. I left my wife using the Brewtus after teaching her how to use it. She used Cafiza regularly.

When setting up the machine, I consulted with Chris' Coffee and was told that a water softener was unnecessary because my water has a hardness less than 1. According to local water reports it sits around 0.5 grains. I also tested it with a strip they sell and got a result of less than 1.

I came back from my travels to find a well running espresso machine, but noticed some buildup on the relief flow valve, pictured below.

So, given this buildup which looks like scale, should I hook up a water softener to my machine?

The picture: http://tinyurl.com/7s4k2dn

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Buildup Question

I am still new here so take my advice with a grain of salt. It does look like calcium to me or dried on milk..... does it come off easily? What does your shower head and inside of the back of your toilet look like?  If my bathroom fixtures had build up on them I personally would use filtered water in my espresso machine no matter what the test strip said because it seems like some type of mineral build up.  When I lived in TX I had pretty hard water.  Where does your water come from? Well? City? Surface water/ground water?

You can always mix filtered and unfiltered water for the taste of the coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
avaserfi

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 9:52am

The buildup does not come off easily, but cannot be milk. Milk never touches the location.

The water is filtered, but water filters do not soften water. I could hook up a water softener, but at the local levels it seems unnecessary. We get water from the city.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:07am

If it were me, I'd go get a more thorough water test kit from an aquarium supply, just to make sure my water was what I'm told by the city.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:31am

What does the inside of your toilet look like?  Does it have the same build ups?  Doesn't matter what the test kit/city says if you have minerals that are building up there it is building up in your pipes and espresso machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
avaserfi

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 2:08pm

Buildup in the house is minimal.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 3:45pm

Just a shot in the dark here, but it's possible that could be Cafiza. I know a Cafiza solution left to dry can leave a white film, so if the backflush solution is too strong, it could be that it's building up (I'm assuming "relief valve" means the 3-way valve at the group - correct?).
avaserfi

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 4:52am

SteveRhinehart Said:

Just a shot in the dark here, but it's possible that could be Cafiza. I know a Cafiza solution left to dry can leave a white film, so if the backflush solution is too strong, it could be that it's building up (I'm assuming "relief valve" means the 3-way valve at the group - correct?).

Posted July 17, 2012 link

That's an interesting thought, but I'm not sure if Cafiza goes through this area. This isn't the actual three way valve, there is a small tube that occasionally drips water into the drain pan. That is what's developing the film.

If you look at this picture (not mine), you can see both the three way valve and the drip tube. Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 7:03pm

And thus I demonstrate my unfamiliarity with these machines. Watched a few videos of Brewtus extractions, and I can now safely say I've no idea what that particular tube is for - possibly an overpressure outlet? The buildup could be scale, so perhaps see if it dissolves with an acid solution. Vinegar would do fine, as it won't be making its way into your cup anyway. If it dissolves in acid, it may very well be scale, and a water softener might be advisable along with descaling the machine.
avaserfi

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 6:32am

I looked into it, the valve is an expansion valve which drips if the volume in the boiler increases too much as the system heats up.

I used white vinegar to clean the buildup. It did an okay job, but required a bit of scrubbing. The buildup certainly didn't dissolve away are most scale seems to.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buildup Question  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423876047134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+