Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
new gaggia classic and portafilter trouble
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > new gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
notcosi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 6:16am
Subject: new gaggia classic and portafilter trouble

I bought a new gaggia classic and had trouble with the perfect crema baskets, so I bought a classic basket . it fits the porta filter if I click it in but I am having trouble then attaching the portafilter - it seems to need a lot of force. I tried the perfect crema basket too and it seems to be the same. The porta filter fits fine without the baskets! Does anyone know if  I  need to buy a different portafilter?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 7:54pm
Subject: Re: new gaggia classic and portafilter trouble

You shouldn't have trouble if that's the OEM Portafilter that comes with the Gaggia.
Perhaps, insert the PF body MINUS the basket into the group and lock it in, loosen and repeat maybe 10-15 times.
The "ears" of the PF may just need to be worn down a we bit.

Next, do the same with your classic basket inserted into the PF.

Truly, though, this should really not be an issue.
Could the portafilter gasket not be fully seated?
If not, the above steps should fix that.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012, 6:54am

Agreed basically w/ the above.

I wouldn't expect a problem with the ears on the basket needing to be worn down but it's not a bad idea, maybe check for burrs around them.

The PF should fit fine on its own but adding a basket raises the overall thickness there and makes things harder to put in place. It's to be expected but only up to a point.

When I've dealt with repairing used machines I have to be sure to get the right gasket thickness or that kind of problem can develop but I wouldn't expect any issues with a new machine. Strange.

Some force is to be expected, it won't be easy to put in place, it needs to seal back ~165 psi or so of very hot water. But it shouldn't be *too* hard either. Also keep in mind that you don't have to go much further around than just having the handle pointing towards you. Somewhere between the 5 and 6 o'clock positions, closer to 6.
ryecarr01

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:39am

sound advice from previous posts, it would seem that the gasket just isnt seated properly.

another trick to try is this,

put the basket into the PF

offer it upto the group head but only insert one of the ears, so inessence it has half in half out.

pull it round as you would if it was seated properly, dont go crazy, just same force as you would normally use

remove the PF, and do the same with the other ear of the PF.

This should force the group gasket up into the group head applying force to one side at a time.

its amazing what difference a group shim can do if fitted underneith the gasket, although i wouldnt expect to find this in a new machine??

RC
notcosi

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 6:09am

Thanks all. Have played about with it and your suggestions helped - also If I put less than 2 measures of coffee in the basket this helps. Just maybe needs a bit of ageing!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 10:41am

notcosi Said:

If I put less than 2 measures of coffee in the basket this helps. Just maybe needs a bit of ageing!

Posted July 21, 2012 link

Are you overfilling the basket and having grinds hit the screen?  That would certainly make the PF difficult to engage.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
notcosi

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 10:30am

I think that may have been most of the problem... what a noob!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 9:10pm

The tamped dry puck should not reach the screen or screen screw.  When expanded after a double pull, your wet puck will then probably just touch the center screw and you will tell that if you see a slight impression in the center of the puck.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > new gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395718097687)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+