Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is it possible to get good results from a crappy machine?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is it possible...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:20am
Subject: Re: Is it possible to get good results from a crappy machine?

Unless you pick up a cheapo grinder for almost free, I don't advocate getting a cheapo grinder.  I think that is throwing good money after bad.

It sounds like you are going to upgrade sooner or later.  Get a good hand grinder you can use for travel/camping/back up or get a good electric grinder.

At entry level the grinder is as expensive or more expensive than the machine and yes, it is really that important.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:33am

If you buy a grinder then get a good one.  You do not want to buy cheap now and then upgrade the grinder with a new machine.  The Baratza Preciso is a good grinder.  I found a factory refurb for $239, and that is about what I would expect to pay for a good grinder used.  

So the PF has nothing under the basket, out to the spout?  If so, then you are depressurized and should be able to get decent espresso with the proper grind and fresh quality beans.  You may need to read about temperature surfing as well.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
red4167

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:44am

This is the very same machine click in action. Apparently it has a stainless steel boiler and a 15 bar pump (presumably dialled down to 9 bar).

I have done a little research into grinders and I understand the importance.

With a good grinder and proper tamper do you think it would be possible to make consistently good espresso with this machine (consistently better than nespresso, and maybe as good as my local cafe)?

I have looked at the Gaggia MDF and Iberital MD2 - they seem to be in the right price range for me (around 130) if I am indeed going to make the jump to proper espresso- and the Iberital seems to be the better of the two (no doser and greater adjustability). The Rancilio rocky is a too expensive (around 200).
red4167

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:46am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, the Baratza looks really nice... but quite pricey...
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:58am

Does your basket come apart at all or is it just one piece including handle? Looks like the older ones are just a solid non-pressurized piece and the later ones came with the pressurizer. Your going to want a nicer grinder then, if the Preciso is too much $ or even the Smart Grinder at around $200, just get a good hand grinder as nothing auto below the smart grinder is good enough for non-pressurized PF (unless you get lucky with a decent used machine). Hario Slim is like 30 bucks which I have too and good, can mod it so more "fine" grinding steps and consistency.

Don't bother thinking about the Rocky, out of date and out performed by cheaper grinders as far as fineness and consistency are concerned. Never used a Nesspresso, but long as you have fresh beans and a good grinder it should still taste very good, I got good shots out of a Delonghi Bar32.
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:06pm

I think that the Preciso is about bottom price for a good grinder with enough adjustment.  It is comperable in price to some of the better, used.  Rocky does not have enough steps, as noted outdated by newer and better.  Hand grinders are less, but you will want to upgrade.

You have a pump/pressure, nonpressurized PF, hot water and grinds, so you can get a decent cup.  More money makes it easier to do, but you will have the ingredients with Delonghi and a capable grinder.

D4F also at
red4167

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:42pm

Okay, so what I would be looking for in a grinder,
-a small footprint
-the ability to grind straight into the basket
-enough adjustment

So what can you recommend apart from the Preciso? Is the consensus that the Preciso is at the bottom end for grinders that would be suitable for use with a standard portafilter w/o pressurisation? Is the Preciso at the bottom end for "capable" grinders?

How would you rate the Gaggia MDF or Iberital MD2?
D4F

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 2:28pm

Just to clarify since I planted that thought, the Preciso is around the bottom price end for a good powered grinder, I do not think of it as a bottom end grinder.

D4F also at
MJW

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 3:28pm

I agree the BAR14 is a great machine and can make really good espresso if the grinder is able.  I have the EC270 which is almost the same but comes pressurized.  I had to remove the pressurized parts.

For a grinder I'll make some suggestions.  There's the Baratza Encore which if you tweak it can get you there.  It will work but you will probably wish for something with more adjustability.  The Preciso is good but pricey.

There's the Pharos (Orphan Espresso), which is a hand grinder but outstanding grind quality.  The burr set it uses is from one of the best grinders available.  OE makes another hand grinder which would also work but it doesn't grind as quickly as the P.

A used Rocky would work.  I found a used Mazzer Mini and it works nicely.  Around here there are a lot of used Super Jolly's that come up for sale b/c they're used in coffee shops.

I tried an Ascaso I-1 but I would not recommend it.

I hope you're able to make some great coffee with your machine!

-Mike
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:23am

Well, basically what the espresso machine does is push hot water through a puck of ground coffee, and basically yes, any espresso machine can do that. What separetes a cheap machine from a prosumer or commercial machine are qualitity of built, durability, and temperature stability to name but a few. The quality of the espresso, however, mainly depends on the grinder, the quality and freshness of the beans, and the barista of course. Like it has been said many times on this forum: An experienced home barista can brew better espresso with an entry level machine and a capable grinder than with a commercial machine and a crap grinder. So it's possible to get good or at least acceptable results with a cheap machine.

Why didn't using ground coffee from a Nespresso capsule work? Because it's pre-ground coffee. Apart from going stale within minutes (some might even argue it's already stale), it just never has the right fineness for proper extraction.

By the way, most members here on CoffeeGeek will agree that Nespresso might be an approximation of espresso, but it's not really espresso. Wrong dose (5 g of coffee in a capsule), wrong volume (40 ml for a single shot).

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is it possible...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37205696106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+