Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help Please! Moka Pot Machine
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help Please!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
adano12

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 9:16pm
Subject: Help Please! Moka Pot Machine

I got this Moka Pot aluminum stovetop machinie about 4 months ago. It was working very well until recently, when someone dropped it accidentally and the top part(where it would be screwed onto with the reservoir part) got a little dented. As a result, it would not screw completely. I fixed it, I got a pair of pliers and fixed the dented part. So it closes now.

The problem is, the coffee doesn't go up anymore to the top part. The water boils, but nothing goes up! I only use low heat on the stove. I did not tamp the coffee. It worked perfectly until it got dented.

can anyone help me?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:37pm
Subject: Re: Help Please! Moka Pot Machine

it must not be making a seal to make enough pressure to push the water up.  I suggest you get a new one.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
adano12

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:56pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too; that it isn't sealed enough. I don't understand why that would happen though. It was just a small dent that was very easily fixed.

I'll still try and fix it though :(

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix a problem like this, it would be very much appreciated.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 4:16am

Check for leaks. Fill the bottom portion with water as you normally would, then assemble (don't add any coffee, of course). Tilt the pot around to try to get the water to leak out of the seam, or out of the safety valve. If it was dropped, the safety valve area would be my best guess - the valve could have been damaged and thus rendered unusable. If you find a leak, you may be able to repair it, but in the end it's probably less worrisome to just buy a new pot.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 5:28am

Go ahead and give repair another shot if you want to but unless there are strong feelings for that particular pot, it likely is time to replace.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
adano12

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 7:58pm

Actually it was given to me by my friend so it is valuable to me. Anyway, thanks for all your help guys! Much appreciated.
MisterJohnnyT

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 6:03am

Even though it LOOKS like you fixed the dent, it needs to be perfect for it to be air-tight.  The pressure will take the path of least resistance.  It's easier for the pressure to escape through the imperfect seal than it is for the pressure to push its way through the narrow water-filled stem.  The only thing I can think of, besides getting a new one, is to wrap the threads with plumber's teflon tape before you use it.  However, you would need to use fresh teflon tape every time you want to use the pot.  Another alternative, for example if only the bottom half of the pot got dented, is to buy a new identical model but keep the top half that your friend gave you.  You would use a new bottom but still use the old top.

*edit*
Just re-read your post.  I guess in your case, you would keep the old bottom and use a new top.  Are there maybe also old internal parts that could be used with the new top?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help Please!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440983057022)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+