Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Le'Lit PL41QE Question
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL41QE...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Koss

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Capresso Esspresso Pro
Grinder: Starbucks (Solis 75?)
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 11:48am
Subject: Le'Lit PL41QE Question

After seeing many good recommendations, I went and bought Le'Lit PL41QE from 1st-line (excellent price and service, BTW).
I am making decent espresso shots and it makes much hotter shots than before.  However, I do have some issues that makes me wonder.

1) The porter filter is VERY tight fitting and doesn't turn much:  When I first tried to fit the porterfilter to the machine, after lining it up to its gasket slot and started to turn (initially at 8 o'clock/30 degree).  After turning a little, the filter becomes very tight and wouldn't turn much more than 7 o'clock/70 degree ... like "/", where it should be "|" (6 o'clock/90 degree) perpendicular to the back of the machine.  I though may be it's because the machine is new and the metal may needs to wear a bit before it can fit properly.  After using it for 4-5 days, I still can't turn it full 90 degree "T".  I never get any kind of "click" to assure me that it's tight and fully turned.  Is it suppose to be like this?  I don't see any signs of leak and shots appear to come out all right.

2) More important issue: I am having trouble frothing milk.  The steam comes out pretty strong and I bought and mounted the three-hole nozzle.  The milk gets pretty hot, but I don't get much foam (not to mention microfoam) at all.  I make sure to initially stretch the milk without bubbling up, and swirl it to 150F, but I only get hot milk and no foam at all.  I've had much better luck with my previous cheapo Capresso Espresso Pro.  I've also tried switching from low-fat to Horizon whole milk, but that didn't make any difference.

Overall, the machine produces nice and very hot shots and we are happy with it, but I'd like to know that I am using it right and would like to be able to make nice latte.
 View Profile Link to this post
h3yn0w
h3yn0w

Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 12:09pm
Subject: Re: Le'Lit PL41QE Question

1) My machine was/is similar. It takes time, but the gasket will slowly wear in. Most people complain that the PF turns too much, say to 4 o'clock in some cases. Sounds like you've got a nice thick gasket in there at 7 o'clock so consider yourself lucky:) . After a month or two I'm guessing you will be closer to 6 o'clock. But really, it doesn't matter as long as it's sealing tight with no leaks. Don't worry too much about it.

2) Surprising to hear. Maybe it's the 3-hole..can you go back to the old one to see if it makes a difference? I'm assuming you ditched the frothing aid. If not, do so. Here are some suggestions to help you froth on this machine. I can tell you that I have no problem getting great microfoam with the Lelit using the stock arm:

- Use 1% milk, at least to start with. It froths easier than whole.
- Keep your pitcher in the freezer. This keeps things colder longer, giving you a bit more time to stretch/texture your milk.  
- Temp surf your steam. Here is what I do  for max power: Once steam is ready, open the steam valve and then let it release steam slowly. You can use this time to get your pitcher out of the freezer, and fill it with milk. Wait for the heater to switch on again, then close the valve. Now you want to wait...about 8 seconds or so for the boiler to get close to max temp again, but not hot enough to turn off the heater. Start your frothing at this point, with the heater still ON. This is key -  time things so that it's close to temp but not hot enough that the heater turns off at any point during your frothing. You want it on the entire time. This ensures max power, and made a huge difference for me.

Good luck.
Koss

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Capresso Esspresso Pro
Grinder: Starbucks (Solis 75?)
Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 8:16am

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I was finally able to get a nice microfoam after increasing time for skimming and air intakes!
Lgerald57

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit Plo401eq
Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012, 7:36pm

Hello Koss

I just bought a Le'lit PL041EQ as well. I am fairly new to all this. I did have a delongi & it was very easy to get foam. It was not great but at least I got some... I am not getting anything but hot milk & I don't totally understand what you did to solve the problem. "increasing time for skimming & air intake" can you explain in more detail how you solved this challenge? Thanks

Lance
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lgerald57

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit Plo401eq
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 7:40am

Ok, just watched another how to video & I GOT IT!!! I truly am a noob when it comes to all this stuff but I am getting there!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL41QE...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356733083725)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+