Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 52 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 5:40am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

. . . oops. Hit the wrong button.
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 10:06am

Are there instructions somewhere for adjusting the pstat? I think mine is a bit high as well.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 8:20am

Frankieg Said:

Well I went ahead and adjusted the pressure-stat so that now it settles at nine bar.  It used to settle between 1 and 1.1.  However I don't see any noticeable difference in amount of flushing needed, both for 1st shot and also between shots.  In total, 3 shots requires about 16-18 oz of water to be flushed.  I don't want to adjust lower than 9 bar because I want my steam power to stay strong.

I also noticed that my boiler is fully insulated.  I don't think version 1 has insulated boilers, but version 2 does, and this is a feature I didn't know about.  I guess this is a desirable feature for temp stability, am I correct?  This might also be the reason why I need to flush so much between shots, because the boiler and hx stay super hot because of the insulation?  What do you guys think?  Here is pic.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

Here is the video for removing the side panel and adjusting the pressurstat on the Cuadra. To slightly lower the temp, the boiler pressure can be changed to hover near 9 bar.

As with every European espresso machine and grinder manufacturer (including the better ones), we are sorry to say that they do not tell us (most of the time) when they make changes. I am sad to say that we, like most distributors and importers, usually learn new things from our customers. In this case, the boiler is now wrapped with insulation.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frankieg

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 6:09pm

Thanks for the video 1st Line!

we need to spark some conversation here.  How about this one:

On stock setting, which is roughly 1 to 1.1 bar, it takes a 2-3 oz flush to get the water temp to the higher acceptable range, which is 202-203 degrees.  Brewing at a lower temp requires much longer flush with this machine.  With that in mind, what brands/blends of coffee have you tried or heard of that brews well at 202-203 degrees?  
For example, Counter Culture Toscano blend tastes like burnt wood at 203 degrees, but under 200 you get a sweeter and brighter shot that tastes smooth and balanced.  So if I didn't want to flush much to pull my shots which coffees should I try?  Which blends have you Cuadra owners been successful with?
scanfield

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:29am

Frankieg Said:

On stock setting, which is roughly 1 to 1.1 bar, it takes a 2-3 oz flush to get the water temp to the higher acceptable range, which is 202-203 degrees.  Brewing at a lower temp requires much longer flush with this machine.  With that in mind, what brands/blends of coffee have you tried or heard of that brews well at 202-203 degrees?  

Posted August 14, 2012 link

How are you measuring the temperature?
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:41am

Ditto Scanfield's question.

My experience differs a bit from the premise of your question. I find it takes more than 2-3 ounces to hit 202-203 and that the difference in the flush between 202-203 and 199-200 is not that significant - just another couple of seconds.

That said - I welcome your efforts to start a conversation about the coffees we are all using.
Mr_Faineant

Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 2:29pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 HX - $995!

Did anyone get the newer steam wand?

Are you happy with it? What are some likes / dislikes?
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:55am

Frankieg Said:

Thanks for the video 1st Line!

we need to spark some conversation here.  How about this one:

For example, Counter Culture Toscano blend tastes like burnt wood at 203 degrees, but under 200 you get a sweeter and brighter shot that tastes smooth and balanced.  So if I didn't want to flush much to pull my shots which coffees should I try?  Which blends have you Cuadra owners been successful with?

Posted August 14, 2012 link

I have used the Cuadra for catering many times over. I have used different Italian roasted blends without varying the pressurstat at all. I do change the grind fineness a lot. The only flush I perform is when the machine has been sitting idle for a few minutes. I will flush out any steam out of the grouphead and immediately pull a shot.

However, we have had several requests to change it and thus the video. Some customers have reported flushing up to 16 ounces of water. I 'believe' it is a waste of time to measure the amount of water as there are external variables that can affect the amount of the flush. Each one's environment, just like when I do offsite catering, is different. And, each environment changes over time. Therefore, performing a set flush gives a false premise. This is why I follow how much steam needs to be removed from the grouphead after a machine has been sitting idle.

I try to avoid using a grouphead thermometer. The reason is that I can usually make the necessary adjustments in the grind, tamp, and amount of grind coffee to compensate for a decent espresso extraction.

In general, for only making espresso shots with minimal milk steaming, the usual spot for the pressurstat should be between .8 and 1 bar. If steaming milk, I like it set at 1.0-1.2. At the end of the day, the scientific and technological aspirations need to give way tot he art of making espresso. It does take longer for some to get there. Happy Espresso!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Epson

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 4:25am

scanfield Said:

The tamper has a flat bottom. It fits the basket very well and feels exceptionally good in the hand, but the end results are no different.

I've tried using the triple basket and it sprays the same way as the double. I've made hundreds of shots of espresso in the past couple of months with my bottomless pf, and none have been clean.

I just found a thread oh HB that I'm going to read through to see if I can figure something out.

Posted July 11, 2012 link

ive been making roughly 2 drinks per day since last chrismas with this machine.  I think im just now starting to figuer this squirting situation out.

I think part of it is the kind of beans you use, i was using yemen then i switched to some columbian and i noticed a difference.  Well the biggest thing i noticed is my machine chokes up alot easier.

Secondly after each roast, i start my vario off as fine as it will go, so that i choke my machine hard, then i dial it down just enough so that it stops choking. Speaking of which anyone know if running your machine while its choking can damage it?  It seems a bit wasteful to just stop, so ive been letting it run while choking(as long as im getting flow out) until i get my shot, usually takes twice as long.

Thirdly, its taken me a while to find out how much coffee to put in the basket, the more u put in the less squirting u get is what i have found.  The part thats made it tricky is that everytime u adjust your grind or coffee, it changes how long u have to grind.  But i kind of noticed that if you shake while its grinding, and u wait till coffee starts coming off the sides your usually pretty close.

Lastly, tamping, soon as i get done grinding i just lay my tamp ontop of the coffee lightly then i spin my handle in an effort to spread the coffee, the lazy mans way i guess, but for me i always have trouble getting an even tamp doing it the "normal way".  So what i do is i put a thumb below my handle of the tamper and another above it, then with index fingers underneath the basket(or if on the counter u don't have to) i can evenly squeeze/push down, in this way i can be sure that im getting an even tamp because i can actually feel which side is higher, and sometimes i switch and do left and right side of the handle, and finish with a swirl just like how i started.

Also for frothing, i was new and started out with a temp gauge in my milk and somewhere i read 160 to stop, so thats what i was doing all this time and i had the hardest time with it.  Then recently i finally tried the method ive heard a few times of jsut putting your hand on the side and stopping when it starts to get hot.  That helped me a bunch, the other thing ive been doing is making sure my wand is straight down so the holes would be even as possible, and then keep your pitcher as even as possible, then i put a few fingers on the drip tray, and a few on the pitcher doing that i can keep it way steadier to slowly and evenly lower it.  If seems if u let your machine warm up for awhile(hour or 2) it does better foam as well.  I think its because it stays at a higher pressure during the steaming and this produces more & finer bubbles/foam.

im still not sure what the difference is between foam and microfoam but i do know its improved leaps and bounds since i bought it, using the 4 holed steamer
scanfield

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 7:25am

Epson Said:

im still not sure what the difference is between foam and microfoam but i do know its improved leaps and bounds since i bought it, using the 4 holed steamer

Posted August 25, 2012 link

I've started to have pretty good luck with stock wand as well. For the longest time I was tilting the pitcher and working to get a whirlpool. Now I do what you are describing. I just dunk it straight down and keep the wand centered and the pitcher level. The milk is definitely moving in 4 loops and I'm getting some pretty nice foam.
showing page 52 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431624889374)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+