Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ascaso Arc "sneeze"
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Arc...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
phunni

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 3:09am
Subject: Ascaso Arc "sneeze"

I've been using an Ascaso arc for about a week and a half and, in the last couple of days, it has started to produce a powerful "sneeze" when removing the portafilter.  I have tried removing the filter more slowly, but all I get is lots of steam and overflowing coffee. I've also tried venting through the steam wand for a while, which helps, but not enough.

I'm led to believe (from thr amazon.co.uk description) that it has a solenoid and therefore should not drip or sneeze - but it does both.  The dripping continues for several minutes after I finish pulling the shot.

Is the machine faulty? Or is this something I just have to learn to live with? Or is there something else I can do to fix the problem?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
earlds
earlds
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 4:52am
Subject: Re: Ascaso Arc "sneeze"

I think your mistaken about the tree way valve on this machine ,and that means that your going to have to wait a few minutes between shots .Sorry.
 View Profile Link to this post
phunni

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 4:58am

Thanks for the reply.  The thing is that I am waiting a few minutes between shots.  My process is to pull the shot, do the milk and then release some extra steam to clean out the wand and reduce the pressure.  During this time the portafilter is continuing to drip. I then move the drink away in anticipation of an explosive "sneeze" and then try and remove the portafilter as slowly as I can.

The other thing is that this has become worse over the time I've been using the machine.  A small "sneeze" happened at first, but now it's explosive.

I simply cannot believe that the machine is supposed to work this way - both because it didn't at first and also because it's so bad that I can't understand how anyone can live with this.  The drip dray gets full of coffee and, if I'm not very careful, the kitchen gets absolutely covered in coffee grounds!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 5:43am

Hi, Just a second opinion here.

Opening the steam valve has no affect on the pressure in the brew basket/Porta Filter. Your machine does not have a valve to release the pressure in the basket so you must wait until the pressure recedes on it's own, which is why you get drips from the PF. This is a drawback from lower priced machines that do not have a 3 way valve.

I suspect that your shots are getting better, your grinding is getting better and as a result, the pressure is not dropping as fast as it used to. Yes, this is what you must put up with when using a machine without a 3 way valve to release the pressure from the PF. The wait to drop pressure can be several minutes, sorry about that.

From the Seattle coffee gear website

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Manufacturer Ascaso
Width 11.25"
Depth 9.5"
Height 13.25"
Watts 900
Volts 120
Programmability No
Case Material Powder Coated Steel & Chrome
Boiler Material Brass/Copper
Boiler Volume 8.6 oz.
Reservoir Size 67 oz.

Solenoid Valve No

Steam Wand Type Panarello Only
Cup Warmer Yes
Available Portafilters Pressurized and Non-Pressurized
Boiler Design Single Boiler
Pod Friendly Yes - without adaptation
Water Sources Reservoir/Internal Tank

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
phunni

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 6:01am

Thanks for the reply.

It's very disappointing to discover that this is expected behaviour.  

Is there anything that can be done to minimise this? Or speed up the drop in pressure?  Will backflushing make any difference? Although, I've been doing that daily anyway so I would assume not.
phunni

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 8:51am

It turns out that I have been making a mistake that's been exacerbating this.  The instructions say:

"It is normal for the coffee grounds to be very wet or a soup like consistency if the filter holder is removed within one to two minutes after brewing."

As a result of that I have been leaving the filter in for a few minutes, during which time it has been building up pressure.  If I remove the filter fairly quickly after pulling the shot then there isn't very much of a sneeze - although the group head still drips for a while.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Arc...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357359886169)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+