Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help with a Cuisinart EM 200
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 7:57pm
Subject: Re: Need help with a Cuisinart EM 200

wizardofvoid Said:

and yeah.. I can see myself getting a pro machine down the line but.. to be honest I am completely content with the quality of the shots that this machine pulls. I go to some of the best Coffee shops in New England and I can make a shot that rivals any of theirs on this machine. It's all trial and error my brother.

Posted June 25, 2011 link

I'm glad to hear that, after all, what we are all pursuing here is a better cup. =)

wizardofvoid Said:

As for pods... My girl tries using them on this machine (she just doesn't care to learn how to make a good espresso.. lol) she uses them for Lattes. Personally I watched her make one and it was so sad how thin and pissy that shot looked. But ya know... different strokes and whatnot..

My GF is afraid of my machine, lol. I've tried to get her to learn how to use it but she just says "I'm not touching that thing, I'll have you make me a latte", and laughs. She sticks to her Keurig when she's making coffee herself, Lol.

wizardofvoid Said:

BTW James.. Your machine looks KILLER! You should post some vids of some of the shots that thing produces. Looks like a monster.

I've been desperately trying to borrow a tripod from someone so that I can take video of some shots and lattes but none of my friends have one. It's in the pipe for sure though, cause several people have asked me for videos.

-James

Load and Lock.
 View Profile Link to this post
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011, 8:07am

I think the second machine is going back.  It leaks around the portafilter gasket a little too often and even with the presurized portafilter, the (fake) crema is weak.
epengr
epengr
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:56am

I know this thread is old, but I'll throw in my $0.02.

This is my second machine, my first being a Delonghi BAR32.  I got the EM-200 for $20 off craigslist, could say no.

I'll preface by saying I'm a total coffee noob.  I've owned the BAR32 for about 3 months and I've been learning as I go.

Has anyone opened this machine?   I'm tempted to poke around inside.  I bought a cheap asian-made PID and SSR to add to my BAR32 before I found the EM-200...  I don't knwo if the EM-200 needs a PID or if it would even be possible to tack it on to it's existing control electronics.  I'm guessing it has electronic temp control, but not PID controlled.  I've done the "coffee cup" temp measurement with a Fluke meter and a k-type thermocouple and it seems to run a little hot when you let it sit (~206).  If you run even a little water through it and then pull the shot as soon as it's ready again it's right around 201.  Easiest temp surf even, I'd guess.

This machine does default to a 1.5oz single and a 3oz double.  It's basket seems deeper than the BAR32 which is 7/14g.  Does teh EM-200 do 1 1/2 and triple shots, or is 3 oz too much?   I've tried looking for this "Blonde" point, but I think that's hard with a pressurized filter.

I order the KRUPS filter that supposed to filter the BAR32, we'll see if it fits the EM-200 when it arrives.  If not, I'll try to get the Cuisinart filter.  I'll need a real grinder first I fear - the old Delonghi grinder I have won't go fine enough.  It was great when I used to rely on a Bialetti, but it's no espresso grinder.

If I decide to keep it, I'll probably figure out a way to cut the bottom off the filter holder too.

I'm still learning on this machine, but I'm still torn between the BAR32 and this.  The BAR32 seems to have more steam power (especially with the replacement tip I made for it).   I'm almost tempted to keep both - my poor-man's double boiler ;).

Anyways...  I'm rambling and I doubt anyone's still following this thread.

If I learn anything new, I'll post again.
espressofilus

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Faema MP
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 4:15pm

Fear not, I continue to watch this thread.

I had my machine replaced under warranty at 2 years and 10 months as it was making nasty noises when it TRIED to steam. I think it was a solenoid issue, but I really haven't a clue.

That gave me a chance to keep the old filter basket before returning the machine. I used a dremel like cutting wheel to remove the bottom of that basket so there's a real mesh screen, and this allows me to grind finer and tamp harder without seizing the machine. I'm pleased with the results, but this is only a good idea if you've got a grinder capable of a good espresso grind. If you have a very basic grinder, the pressurized single hole might be your better option.

I looked into the bottom and the back, but haven't taken anything apart. They look like this.
Bottom
Back

I definitely customize my shot sizes smaller, to get a much better tasting shot. I'll always choose quality over quantity, and the full large shot at default settings goes well past blonding.

O, and I like your idea of a "poor-man's double boiler".
epengr
epengr

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 8:47pm

Thanks for the pics - I was contemplating opening mine this weekend.  I'll have to study your pic when I'm soberer (English toffee cappuccino with a shot of vodka, anyone?).  I'd like to know if it's an electronic or mechanical thermocouple controlling it - I can't see a mechaincal TC in the pic so it's not obvious at first glance.   It looks like the PCB is reasonably well self-documented, I maybe able to work it out.  Either way, the PID temp controller I have will probably go on the BAR32.  I think I can make it into an excellent machine until I can afford (read: convince my GF that I need) a real nice double boiler or HX machine.  

I'm hopeful that the $8 krups two-cup unpressurized filter that I ordered will fit when it finally arrives. My Delonghi wheel burr grinder is not up to the task, but my
Baratza Encore should arrive Monday.  

My local Home Outfitters has Cuisinart, Krups and Brevillle units on display.  The Krups was a steam powered cheapy unit with a 4-cup filter. I fit, diameter wise, in the Cuisinart portafilter, but was too tall.   I'm hopeful that the 2-cup will fit.   The Brevillle filters and portafilter seem to be completely interchangeable with the Cuisinart machines, so a set of Breville unpressurized filters are my backup plan.  You can get replacement Breville Barvista portafilter for under $10, so I may consider making a nude portafilter some day too....   The BAR32 portafilter can me made nude my just cutting away plastic though, so that's almost certain to happen soon, even though the replacement portafilter is over $30 for some stupid reason.

On an unrelated matter, there's  local Craigslist listing for a circa 1997 La San Marco 85-16M single group for $700 that's absolutely killing me.  Should I risk loosing a perfectly wonderful girlfriend for a potentially awesome espresso machine ;).
MaxwellMooney
MaxwellMooney
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Premil Europiccola,...
Grinder: LeLit PL53
Roaster: Poppery II, Wear Ever Pumper
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 11:37pm

I know this is a bit late, but I too have an EM-200, and I've finally dialed it in, with much trial and error. I wrote a quick tip guide for home barista, and I'll link it here.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

If you are looking for non-pressurized baskets, here they are.

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

They fit perfectly!

I've also got quite a few more tips in my review, so check it out!
AJM

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:33am

MaxwellMooney Said:

I know this is a bit late, but I too have an EM-200, and I've finally dialed it in, with much trial and error. I wrote a quick tip guide for home barista, and I'll link it here.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

If you are looking for non-pressurized baskets, here they are.

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

They fit perfectly!

I've also got quite a few more tips in my review, so check it out!

Posted May 7, 2012 link

In my opinion, you are just on time. I just recently purchased the Cuisinart EM 200 model espresso maker and I am waiting for it to be delivered. Your tips, along with the tips of everyone else in this forum, are going to be a very great help to me. My biggest decision at this point, is to determine whether I need to order a non-pressurized basket or if I should be trying to modify my basket by cutting out the bottom. Of course I will first try to use the machine as is, but from what I have read it seems that that will not produce the best quality espresso the machine is capable of. I am trying to find a local source for the Breville non-pressurized filter, however I am not finding anything up to this point. Hopefully I will find the source soon, since I am afraid to try and modify my current basket.
This is a great discussion forum, and I hope that it continues into the future.
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help with a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.45231795311)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+