Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What do you think of this setup?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What do you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
acctingguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 7:51pm
Subject: What do you think of this setup?

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

+

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I'm on a SUPER tight budget.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this combo, with some good chocolate syrup.

Mocha fiend here and wondering how good this would taste. Killer beans help!

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 9:16pm
Subject: Re: What do you think of this setup?

Well, it won't really quite be espresso, and stovetop moka can be tricky to get exactly right (and easy to make less than right), but if your plan is to use it as a base for chocolate syrup and frothed milk, it'll probably work for your purpose. Since you don't mention a grinder, I assume you plan to use preground beans?

I don't think you're likely to get a lot of usable opinions here about your choices, but if you've got a total of a hundred bucks in your budget, I'd try and stretch it a bit more. Get a Handpresso and a battery powered milk frother that works with microwave heated milk. At least you'll get better espresso, and you can save up for a hand grinder that will let you use fresh beans. Grinder and beans are key to espresso. Who knows? You might eventually find that, with those two things, you don't need the syrup and milk anymore (or at least less of them).
acctingguy

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 9:38pm

I have a Barista Vario grinder.

Handpresso you say?

Anything wrong with that milk frother I listed?

I'll look into that.
GVDub

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 9:56pm

Never used that type of frother, so I couldn't really say. I tend towards straight shots, mostly, but I appreciate a good capp now and then, and a latte is my go-to drink in cafes where the espresso is less than great.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 11:35pm

I believe for about $100 you could get a used Espresso machine such as a Saeco/Starbucks Athena or barista.
It makes REAL espresso (when used with a non pressurized Porta filter) and can steam credibly.
There are usually a couple for sale here on CG, and they will get you into real espresso/cappa land.

Perhaps see if there are reviews of them on our Consumer review area.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
acctingguy

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 11:40pm

I've owned an espresso machine before. Just wasn't happy with the size, mess and it had a CRAPPY steam wand...it really sucked.

I don't mind my $150 month habit (it's really the ONLY vice I have...don't drink, don't smoke, etc..) but it would be nice to make something at home that was at least on par with a Starbucks mocha (without spending hundreds of dollars on a espresso machine)

The machine I got (at Seattle Coffee Gear...im sure it was a refurb Saeco) was a POS and I paid $350 for it. Yea, maybe I should have spent more on a machine, but that's not an option.

Might get one of those handspresso

At this point, I'm just thinking of saying screw it and just live with the $150 coffee habit.
GVDub

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 6:05am

If, on your list of priorities, steamed milk, chocolate syrup, convenience and lack of mess trump the quality of the coffee itself (as, based on your comments here, they seem to do), there may not be much we can really help with. Espresso is going to me messy, pretty much no matter what. So, for that matter, is steamed/frothed milk. Cooking is messy, and coffee is cooking.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:23am

If you're dead set on getting a stand alone frother, I can tell you the Nespresso one and the Keurig one both make pretty good super dense foam.  I don't know about the Capresso one, but from the photo, I'd assume it uses the same technology and produces similar results.  That said, you're not going to get microfoam, or anything that remotely resembles it.  Of course, you're comparing it to *$$, so it doesn't appear that you care about that.

I'd encourage you to do some math to see what kind of home setup you could afford if you put your $150/month into it, rather than *$$, but you've already said you don't want to have to deal with cleaning and maintenance...so I guess it's a moot point.

Good luck!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:05am

Ya, the mess is a deal breaker for espresso.  She is a messy mistress.  I had no idea how messy coffee was when I started this... I might not have done it.  Well, I say that- but I love to cook and I am a messy cook so, probably I would have.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:38am

Nothing wrong with a Mokka pot, won't really be espresso but sorta similar, and more volume vs 1-2oz shots. It's how real Cuban coffee is made alll around South FL, usually with Pilon or Bustello.... but you can use any bean really. Once you dial in the right grind you can get some really nice and strong coffee from a Mokka. Never used those separate frothers but vids I've seen show they work decently.

If you can budget 150 a month you could easily put towards a good espresso machine, but sounds like you had a bad experience with the Saeco. My setups not messy at all, grind into the PF so grinds don't get anywhere, and only thing I have to clean/rinse is the PF after use. You'd still have to take the Mokka apart and clean. You already have a Vario which is an excellent home grinder.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What do you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370280981064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+