Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where to buy a Gaggia espresso machine?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to buy a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tinybean

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:58am
Subject: Re: Where to buy a Gaggia espresso machine?

Thanks for the continued advice.

How is the Baratza Virtuoso (will be drinking americano's and cappuccino's)? Amazon is selling for $212, which is slightly over my budget but more affordable then the Preciso.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
tinybean

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:14am

The Gaggia MDF is in a similar price range, and reviews on CG seem more favorable - thoughts?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:16am

The Virtuoso can happen to work, but what happens when it does not?  The adjustment is too coarse.  Preciso from Baratza.com, $239 refurb, plus shipping.  Drink does not matter so much, you have to start with good espresso.  Milk may hide a little.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tinybean

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:18am

I think it may have been sold already - I don't see it on their website (or can you sen me the link?).  How is the Gaggia MDF?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:24am

tinybean Said:

I think it may have been sold already - I don't see it on their website (or can you sen me the link?).  How is the Gaggia MDF?

Posted August 8, 2012 link

If you wait till tomorrow they usually put updated refurbs by the end of Thursday. Can check Ebay too, lately last few months there's been some nice deals, used, for anything from Varios, Preciso, to Virtuoso.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:28am

Refurbs are under products on the Website.  They post new refurbs on Thursdays as they are available.  They are not always available, but most every week.  I have seen it go a couple weeks without, and then they are back.

I think the MDF like the Rocky have been displaced by newer more adjustable grinders.  Mostly I see the Preciso and used commercial grinders recommended.  I have only had the Preciso several months and reviewed it then.  I am going by my limited experience, but from a lot of reviews and reading like you are doing.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 11:43am

I've purchased from WLL a few times and have had good luck. I haven't had to do much other than place an order, but in all cases things have been fine. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

I do like their prices. If you keep your eyes open you'll see things come and go on sale and / or have package deals (grinder and espresso maker). If nothing seems to be on sale I'd consider calling them and seeing if they'd offer any discounts. Keep in mind shipping costs when comparing stores.

I give the Classic the edge over the Baby. I own a Baby and have been inside of both styles many times. Most primary components are the same (pump, boiler, portafilter, etc.) but I see two main differences: 1) The Classic has an adjustable OPV. You don't really have to worry about this but if the recipient of this machine likes to tinker, or gets into espresso as a new hobby, they'll appreciate having that adjustability. 2) A) There's a little more metal and less plastic in the Classic. In a normal kitchen it's unlikely to matter but if you ever move, or knock the thing off the counter, the Classic is much more likely to survive. B) The rocker switches are more robust on the Classic than the push buttons on the Baby.

I wont' bother getting rid of my Baby, especially after modifying the heck out of it, but doing it again I'd get the Classic.

I've had the Gaggia MDF grinder and own the Rancillio Rocky. I agree grinders are important, the better the better, but these are both entirely adequate. I prefer the Rocky because I have a doserless version. It's faster and less messy than the MDF that only comes with a doser. For that reason alone I recommend the Rocky. Otherwise they do similar jobs and again in my opinion are fine enough for the task. I haven't owned a Baratza but reading the forum here, and it may be a misrepresented sampling, it seems like people have nothing but problems with them. my Rocky on the other hand is like a dang tank, I think I could run gravel through it and it would laugh.

Ebay would be a good source for used, you can get good machines there (I know because I refurb and sell them there once in a while). Especially with the Classics, there's only a handful of working parts inside and when they are cleaned and / or replaced the end result is that the machine is practically like new). But this is still not a great choice for a gift, newer would be better there.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 11:50am

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

$718 at the moment and no shipping cost.

Not cheap but it should be a solid, trouble free setup that will be a lot of fun to use and make great tasting espresso. It'll also have good resale value (ie ebay) if you guys decide that you hate making your own, or decide to upgrade in a few years.
MJW

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 3:38pm

Mark, thanks for clarifying your policies on refurbished and new products.  I assure you there are no hard feelings on my side and I'm just stating what happened.  My story about being charged 15% is relevant and accurate in terms of what other customers can expect; but you are right, if they buy a new product and not refurbished they have 30 days.

-Mike
MJW

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 4:09pm

tinybean Said:

Posted August 8, 2012 link

Hi Tinybean, in my opinion the Virtuoso is not good enough, and the MDF may be marginal.  The Virtuoso Preciso is the least expensive one for espresso in the Baratza line.  It is expensive, and at these prices, maybe it would be good to scour Craigslist looking for used Super Jollys just to see what's available in your area.  You have a lot of options with grinders, but those are the best I know.

If you wish to downsize budget-wise, you could go for a pressurized machine and use a less expensive grinder.

Here is another grinder to consider: Capresso 560 Infinity.  I hesitate to suggest it, I don't know if it's suitable but it's popular and well liked.  And cheap.

-Mike
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to buy a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.469868183136)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+