Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso Quality: Double boilers vs La Marzocco GS/3
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 9:41pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Quality: Double boilers vs La Marzocco GS/3

MJW Said:

Hi TonyVan, first let me see if I understand what you're saying.  You're saying that whereas lesser machines (US$1000-1500) consistently achieve a medium quality level, they only rarely achieve a high quality level.  The GS/3 achieves that high level, consistently.
Is that what you mean?

Posted August 13, 2012 link

As the many fine posts since your question indicate, you can't leave the "other things being equal" part out of that statement and conclusion. I think it IS fair to say that, all other things being equal, better equipment is more likely to provide a better result more often. And placing that thought upside-down, good tools can help us when we make mistakes - that "forgiving" nature often referenced be their owners.

In the same way, as Jon mentions, the better the barista the better the likely result.  I would argue that with a little practice, a really good barista will figure out how to coax superb results from just about any equipment (though a poor grinder will usually be much tougher to overcome than a shaky espresso machine).  But it may take a lot of compensating, waiting and extra steps, effort and concentration.

Coffeenoobie and Jon both remind us that "goodness" isn't a simple one-dimensional vector.  There are always trade-offs, as in Jon's example, ease in producing state-of-the-art clarity and state-of-the-art body may not currently be available in the same machine, so personal preference and style will dictate choices too.

Although every readily identifiable jump in quality does become more costly as you approach the current state-of-the-art machines, I can't agree that home users won't get significant value from the incremental investment in that high-end equipment. "Bang for the buck" and "utility" are two very different things.  While the Alex Duetto is an absolute bargain compared to, say, a Speedster (almost comparable shot capability at 20% of the cost), to some people the Speedster will deliver that difference - not all of which may be found in the bottom of the cup.
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 12:08am

JonR10 Said:

If the barista has to change grind, it is no longer a direct comparison of the machines.  Grind is a critical variable
When I did it (side by side) I had the pumps adjusted so that we could use same grind & dose for both.

Posted August 13, 2012 link

In that comparison, JonR10, it seems like you are trying to isolate the character of each machine.  In that case your preparations make sense.

My ideal comparison would be a blind test of 100 tasters lined up across from two machines, each paired with a grinder and barista to make them work best.  We would then ask the tasters to make judgements on how "enjoyable" the shots are.  This test as described is intended to serve as a "shopper's test" -- which machine should be bought?  I assume that the grinder can be chosen to match the machine, and the barista (the buyer) will adapt reasonably to the machine they buy.  In other words, once a shopper buys a machine they "optimize" to make it work well for them.

This does not isolate the character of each machine.  It does not do what JonR10 is referring to....  There are other questions one might ask -- "which machine should I buy if I can't adapt at all" -- but the one I described seems like the most interesting one, and the one most shoppers are implicitly asking, when they ask "which machine is "best"?".

Once some objectivity can be brought to bear on whether one machine tastes better than another, then each shopper can make a personal choice how much he wants to pay for which "level" of quality.  Probably it will be best for the shopper to taste two or three machines in their "quality window" themselves, to experience their individual character first hand.  But the objective results from a test like above can still inform a shopper's decision.

-Mike

P.S. I'm not suggesting anyone do this test.  It would be nice, but it's only meant as a thought experiment.
Clancey

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:22am

Hi MJW and All- maybe that is what we need to do? Organize a local event where everyone brings in their equipment for a 1-day or evening event.  It would also give everyone a chance to see different types of machines.  From experience, I can tell you that it is very difficult to get hands on experience with machines as most distributors are 'web only' or are only located in Oregon or Washington.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 9:10am

The coffee shows are fun. http://www.scaa.org/

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Scotts

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Valentina
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 2:06pm

Clancey- great idea. How do we organize this? Is there an event forum on CG?
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381303787231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+