Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Filter basket supposed to be stuck??
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Filter basket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 3:24pm
Subject: Filter basket supposed to be stuck??

So I just treated myself to one of Seattle Coffee Gear's custom Saeco 53mm bottomless portafilters. I can't wait to try it out. I got my standard double filter basket in it, but it's in there so tightly that there's probably no way I'd be able to get it out without a screwdriver. I know professional portafilters have this retaining wire instead of the flimsy plastic thumb tab that my normal non-pressurized filter from Saeco does, where the filter basket just fits in loosely. Is this normal or am I risking damage to my new toy? Is the filter basket supposed to live permanently in the PF? Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 3:33pm
Subject: Re: Filter basket supposed to be stuck??

Use the lip of another standard basket to pry it out. It should pop right out. Generally speaking, baskets are (as in "should be") made of stainless steel and are quite robust.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 7:20pm

This thing is in there really tight. I really worry there's no way I could get this thing out without damaging either part and it'd be nice to just know I can get them apart to clean them every once in a while.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 7:26pm

Might try the freezer, or ice water.  Sometimes that will change the fit enough.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 7:30pm

I've wanted to pick those up, but can't swallow the price.

Applying heat makes things expand, cooling it makes it contract.

Leave it in your grouphead and then try again.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 7:43pm

I'll try that, Franky. The price was a bit steep, but seeing as it's hard to find a non-pressurized PF for the Saecos these days anyway, one might as well get one from SCG. I can see now why bottomless filters are all the rage. The first shot I pulled from it was insane, and I got an incredible crema and 32sec pull from grocery bin $7/lb beans.
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 7:53pm

Markarian Said:

I'll try that, Franky. The price was a bit steep, but seeing as it's hard to find a non-pressurized PF for the Saecos these days anyway, one might as well get one from SCG. I can see now why bottomless filters are all the rage. The first shot I pulled from it was insane, and I got an incredible crema and 32sec pull from grocery bin $7/lb beans.

Posted August 14, 2012 link

Seriously? Man. I wonder what I'm missing with a bottomless PF, or if there's much of a change in flavor from what I get now. I was about ready to pull the trigger on it the other day, but I was thinking about how long I'd keep my Starbucks Barista for before I upgrade.

SCG's the only one that produces a non pressurized and a bottomless for the saecos. I think they custom built it to their specifications and have someone produce it.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 8:00pm

You will get an idea if heat works when you brew.  Did it get loose?  If not, freeze, some tight fitting parts are put together cold.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 8:36pm

It's true, they're the only place you can get them. There's another place that sells modded Saeco ones, but they're not as high quality.

I can't speak to a difference in flavor, since I'm a newbie, but from what I understand the bottomless PF preserves a little more crema and is mostly a training tool for proper tamping. Either way, it's a wonderful piece of kit, rock solid, heavy, and thick. Definitely doesn't feel cheap.

I'm using a Barista/SIN006 and getting excellent results following some of the tricks I learned on this forum, especially with learning the secret of getting dry steam for foaming. It's not the fastest machine in the world, but it gets the job done and only cost me $80.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 4:17am

Yeah, so...I tried heat, I tried cold. This filter basket is stuck fast inside the PF. It functions well, I'd just really like to have the peace of mind that it will come out. The only way I think I would ever be able to dislodge it is to violently bang it on something :( Not exactly something I want to do with my new investment or a perfectly good filter basket.

Any other suggestions, and do filter baskets even need to be removed regularly?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Filter basket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.409571886063)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+