Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade from Saeco Aroma SS
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CN1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:15pm
Subject: Upgrade from Saeco Aroma SS

I've had my Saeco Aroma SS for about 3 years now and it's served me well. I've recently upgraded my grinder to a Vario, and now I'm thinking of upgrading the machine. But I don't want to have to upgrade again in another 3 or 4 years. So, I'd like to get a machine that will have the basics that I need to control all (or most) of the variables that contribute to good espresso.

First thought was the Silvia. But after searching around, it seems these days, for the price of a Silvia, there are a number of machines out there with PID, pressure gauge, etc., for the same price. One is this one:

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

There's also the CC1, but I don't like it's controls and I've heard it's actually not that good of a machine. Will the Lelit above or a machine like it compete with the reputation the Silvia has earned, and serve longer than 3-5 years? (I make about one or two double-shot lattes a day for myself--that's it).
 View Profile Link to this post
CN1

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Saeco Aroma SS

Oh, and looking to stay in roughly the $500 - $700 range if I can.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:28pm

Not sure what you heard about the CC1, but I love mine, control panel gives you so many options and settings to preset for various uses. Kick ass machine, love the fast switching to steaming and vice versa. Le'Lit is a cool little machine too. Don't know about long term though as nobody has had these new factory PID machines as long as older Silvias. Just from opening it, CC1 compenents are laid out well for easy work if need be and everything looks solid and stout. Bills made a few changes/updates, I bought mine used from someone who loved it but upgraded to a Rocket.
CN1

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:42pm

A friend of mine was recently shopping around for a machine and a dealer told him that they have been getting a lot of CC1s returned. I'm not sure the reason, though, so I should look into that. Besides that, though, the controls and menus on the CC1 remind me of the experience of setting a clock on the DVD player or car radio. I think I'd prefer the buttons and switches that are more common on other espresso machines.

As an aside, I came across this Lelit that seems to be a available only in Canada (at least that's the only place I've been able to locate it). It has a PID as well as pressure gauge:

Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com)

Curious about whether anyone has any experience with this machine.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:59pm

Le'Lit makes good machines, I would take them over the Ascaso PID machines that compete in this range as well. My CC1 was actually from a guy in Canada who bought from idrinkcoffee, had it for awhile then upgraded to the Rocket. I think initially there were some issues but Bill has updated and changed a few things, I put in the new EMI filters and new brew group head which is awesome for temp stability vs the dense brass/metal one. I've talked with a few owners and no complaints from them either.

I like Le'Lit though. If you really wanted a Silvia, you could buy a used one and put the PID in to save money. Otherwise its just not worth it new b/c the PID will put it in range of entry level h/x machines, may as well get something like the Silvano at that point which is a way better machine.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 3:22pm

since we're suggesting machines that are unproven as far as reliability, might as well throw in the Breville Double Boiler.    These things are something like 1k and have all the bells and whistles that you'd want.

personally, i went to an Oscar after my Saeco.  I just made my first couple shots and drinks yesterday and i miss the extra bit of control i had with the pressure profiling dimmer mod.
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:31am

Sounds like the Breville DB is way beyond his budget! :P

Lelit units have a following, and judging from the lack of complaints, a very capable machine. If you're looking at one, I'd splurge for the PID.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:09pm

Frank828, it might take a bit more than an day to get use to Oscar. I wonder if you can put a dimmer mod on Oscar?   I would be interested in that as well.  I love Oscar, he was less than 500 used and he is a bit of a tank.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352095842361)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+