Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia Advice
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Advice  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
FullyWashed

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 1:06pm
Subject: Silvia Advice

Hello All,

I recently bought a Ranvilio Silvia and a Rocky non-doser after a few years of serviceable espresso from a Dualit machine. I've read through quite a number of threads on here and the Cheating Miss Silvia article but am still seeking some advice I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

For the first week or so, everything went smoothly. I was getting great espresso with a 25 second draw time. Then, overnight, this changed. Now, I get the normal 5 or so seconds after turning the pump switch on, an the next few seconds with the normal mouse tails. Then things seem to go a bit crazy and coffee suddenly rushes out, filling the cup in just a few seconds. The whole things takes less than 10 seconds. The puck seems a little muddy on the surface, although is dry elsewhere. It does seem to get grounds round the lip of the portafilter too.

The shower head is well cleaned of any loose grounds and I've backflushed and descaled. I'm prepared to concede it may be either my tamping or my grind although I don't feel either of these changed prior to the change in my coffee output.

My main concern is that there's a fault with the machine but I have no real way of knowing what to test or look for. I'm also not sure what I can try with the tamping or grind to try and change the situation.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Silvia Advice

Let's assume for a moment that you're using fresh beans from a good source, and you've been storing them in an acceptable fashion...

Grind setting (difficult to fine tune with a Rocky - but not responsible for all your problems), distribution and overdosing are all likely in play here.  Tamping, although important, is probably the least of your worries, but depending on how you do it, you may or may not be ruining any good you're doing with your distribution technique.  The change you describe in your extraction midstream is likely due to channeling.  

Do you weigh your pre-extracted shots? (0.1g resolution scale)

I highly recommend giving a good thorough read to Randy Glass's (frcn) easy guide to better espresso article on his website www.espressomyespresso.com.  It's article 12 under "how-to" about mid-way down the right hand column.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't help you improved your shots faster than about anything else short of a live tutor session.

Another option is to post a video of your technique and resulting shot, then wait for analysis from others here.

I doubt your Silvia is having any problems.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
FullyWashed

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 1:26pm

Thanks for the advice - I'll check out that site.

I don't currently weigh out my shots but have been considering getting a set of digital scales.  I think your response has added extra impetus to this.

By channeling, do you mean channels in the coffee open up so the extraction stops being even and water rushes through the channels?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 1:35pm

FullyWashed Said:

Thanks for the advice - I'll check out that site.

I don't currently weigh out my shots but have been considering getting a set of digital scales.  I think your response has added extra impetus to this.

By channeling, do you mean channels in the coffee open up so the extraction stops being even and water rushes through the channels?

Posted August 22, 2012 link

Pretty much, when you take the PF out look at the puck, you may even notice pin-prick type holes in the puck.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Advice  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363177061081)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+