Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic Pressure Adjustment - A Must-Do or Should I Wait?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
EricJS

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:53pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic Pressure Adjustment - A Must-Do or Should I Wait?

A few days ago I ordered a Gaggia Classic which is due to arrive later this week. I've read many articles about reducing the pressure to 9-10 bar by adjusting the over pressure valve, which I can easily do.

I'd like your opinions on whether I should do this right away, or work on other variables (such as grind, tamp, etc.) before making this adjustment. In other words, have others found this adjustment unnecessary?

Thank you & I look forward to sharing many conversations on Coffeegeek.

Eric
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:58pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic Pressure Adjustment - A Must-Do or Should I Wait?

The machine is easier to use and more forgiving of grind and tamp if adjusted to proper pressure.  I tried briefly without adjustment before I bought connectors and a gauge.  Adjust it if you have instructions and are comfortable working on it.  Why learn to use it at high pressure and then change?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 8:14am

Consider adding the Gaggia Users Group (in my signature) to your list of resources for information on your new Classic.  (If it doesn't show up on your screen, check your profile to add "show signatures".

I disagree with the previous post, but only slightly.  Adjusting the pressure is a good thing to do, but....familiarize yourself with your machine's capabilities unmodded first.  Get it to do the very best you can without mods and THEN modify to further optimize your experience.  The Classic can do it.   For example, you want to be sure that you have a grinder that is doing its job before you start compensating for it by changing the pressure.  

My two cents, which are probably not worth that much anymore....

Susan
EricJS

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:49am

I forgot to mention that I ordered a Mazzer Mini to go with the Classic. Thank you for the feedback so far. Please keep the opinions coming!

Eric
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:14am

Sounds like you have solved the grinder, nice choice.  Another simple worthwhile mod that I would not wait on is the steam wand.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1889647

You can wait on mods and learn the Gaggia as it is, but why?  Many, most users fix the OPV and wand and do not advocate continuing to use unmodded.  I did it unmodded for a while and collected info and parts and then changed technique and settings with the mods.  Might as well learn it as you will use it, other than the time to gather parts.  You have obviously already started gathering the information.

D4F also at
EricJS

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 3:14pm

D4F Said:

Sounds like you have solved the grinder, nice choice.  Another simple worthwhile mod that I would not wait on is the steam wand.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1889647

You can wait on mods and learn the Gaggia as it is, but why?  Many, most users fix the OPV and wand and do not advocate continuing to use unmodded.  I did it unmodded for a while and collected info and parts and then changed technique and settings with the mods.  Might as well learn it as you will use it, other than the time to gather parts.  You have obviously already started gathering the information.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

Yes, I've got a list of things including a new steam wand (and even a decent tamper.) I've seen where people have used the Rancilio Silvia wand as a replacement. Is this a direct fit, or would I need a different fitting?

Does a flat-bottom tamper work well in the Classic?

Lol, I know I'm asking a lot of questions. Thank you for your patience.

Eric
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 4:51pm

That piece is a direct fit except for exchange of Gaggia nut for Rancilio.  Use a little soap to help take off the Rancilio no burn strip and exchange the nuts.  The Gaggia O-ring will stay up in the fitting and seal the wand, you do not need to buy other O-rings.  The nut is not particularly tight because of the O-ring seal.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/512953

I use a flat bottom tamper without difficulty, works fine.  Probably any that fit will work, mine was made by friends lathe.

D4F also at
EricJS

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 5:48pm

D4F Said:

That piece is a direct fit except for exchange of Gaggia nut for Rancilio.  Use a little soap to help take off the Rancilio no burn strip and exchange the nuts.  The Gaggia O-ring will stay up in the fitting and seal the wand, you do not need to buy other O-rings.  The nut is not particularly tight because of the O-ring seal.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/512953

I use a flat bottom tamper without difficulty, works fine.  Probably any that fit will work, mine was made by friends lathe.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

Great! Thank you. I have a lathe too, so I guess I better get busy, lol.
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 6:01pm

You can make a great tamper with aluminum.  Mine is made to fit and is oversized.  It fit tightly enough at first that I thought that I would have to remove the retaining spring in the PF.  It was made to fit the basket but the basket was not in the PF at the time.  It is a close enough fit that the spring pressure in the PF almost made it unworkable. After about 1 week it fit fine, and leaves no edge.

D4F: Tamper resize.jpg
(Click for larger image)

D4F also at
EricJS

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 3:30pm

The machine came in yesterday, so I put together the fittings & gauge, then lowered the pressure (I thought the portafilter spout would never break loose.)

I've set it to 10.5 bar for the moment. I decided to start high, then work my way down if needed. I adjusted the set screw approx. 320 degrees counterclockwise to get 10.5 bar - I believe one full turn would have been necessary to achieve 10 bar.

When my coffee arrives tomorrow, I'll get the chance to set the grind & have fun making espresso. It's been too long since I had a real espresso machine & I never had a real grinder. It's going to be a great weekend!

Eric
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477700948715)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+