Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
E61 brew group on commercial machines
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 brew group...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 12:20am
Subject: E61 brew group on commercial machines

I don't want to start a flamewar, but this has been bothering me for a little while.

Why is it one rarely ever sees an E61 Brew Group on a commercial machine today?

Every single cafe I've ever been to either has a hidden brew group or in some of the more upscale cafes, they'll use a spring-loaded lever machine.

I know that The Faema E61 Legend is one of the few commercial machines still selling with the E61 group, but I've never been to a cafe which had one.

It makes me wonder why they're so much more prolific in prosumer machines.

Heck, when I think about it, even the highest end Speedster, Slayer, etc machines don't even use an E61 brew group. Do
they use any principles from the E61 brew group though? (ie. Thermosyphon)

Maybe it's just a stupid question, but is there a cafe around where you live or know about which still uses an E61 based commercial machine?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 1:21am
Subject: Re: E61 brew group on commercial machines

Well, besides the Faema E61 Legend, Rocket Espresso's Linea Professionale or the Elektra Sixties and Elektra Classic also have E61 brew groups, for example, to name but a few.

A lot of other commercial espresso machines have the brew group connected directly to the boiler. Some people claim that this leads to a clearer separation of aromas, but also to less body.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 1:31am

You need to know where to look. Machines from laScala, Vibiemme, Cimbali, Wega, VFA, Expobar and many others may have E-61's under the hood, but all that's visible on the barista side is the bottom of the group and the electronic touchpads. Their mechanical complexity can mean that they're a b**** to maintain if they are surrounded by a shroud stuffed full of electronics, so they've tended to fall out of favour.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 5:57am

If you're in Phoenix, AZ I'd check this place out.  Been there a handful of times and it's a great place for food and coffee.

Click Here (libertymarket.com)
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:05am

qualin Said:

... Heck, when I think about it, even the highest end Speedster, Slayer, etc machines don't even use an E61 brew group. Do
they use any principles from the E61 brew group though? (ie. Thermosyphon) ...

Posted August 24, 2012 link

By the way, at least Kees van der Westen's machines (Speedster and Mirage) may not have an E61 brew group, but do use a thermosyphon system.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 7:35am

There are dozens of machines still employing the classic E61, and hundreds more which use (for lack of a better term) a "modified" or "proprietary" version of the  E61, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  

But at the same time, you have to keep in mind that Faema developed the E61 in . . . 1961!  It's a design that is over 50 years old, and we still talk about it, praise it, and use it every day!  So while it's a tried-and-true design, still in widespread use today, there has also been half a century's worth of tinkering, re-designing, improving upon the original.

E61 machines still in use today?  At least three restaurants and one café/roaster nearby still use Faema E61 machines, and there are a number of sources to still buy new ones.  Vibiemme HX machines have "true" E61 group heads.  So do Ala di Vittoria "la Valentina" machines, and similar models sold under different names.

I could go on, but I need to leave for work . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dennisthemenace

Espresso: Faema E61
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 1:32pm

Jason.
Can you explain (to an idiot like myself) the difference between a Vibiemme "true" E61 group and the Faema one please? Cheers. dennis
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 2:31pm

dennisthemenace Said:

Jason.
Can you explain (to an idiot like myself) the difference between a Vibiemme "true" E61 group and the Faema one please? Cheers. dennis

Posted August 28, 2012 link

Well, I'm not Jason but I too am an idiot if that helps lol.  At any rate, he was referring to a "true" e61 as one designed as the original design.  There are some that have a basic similarity but aren't in fact the same faema e61 design.  

For instance, my Astra has an e61 group, but is different in that it is switch activated versus lever actuated and it also doesn't have a spring loaded chamber used as a mechanical preinfusion.
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 2:31pm

In the 70's or early 80's when faema was going belly up,
Vibiemme bought the right to use the original grouphead patent (Faema has as well)
Vibiemme modify it/ customized it
so that's the basic story
most of "other" e-61 groups are very similar but not the exact one
see pictures here bottom of the page
http://www.espressocare.com/VibiemmeDetails.html

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 2:37pm

Um, yeah that's a better answer than mine; I'd go with that one if I were you Dennis :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 brew group...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429443120956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+