Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic HELP Needed!!!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ptocko

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 9:54am
Subject: Gaggia Classic HELP Needed!!!

Hope someone can point me in the right direction in diagnosing a problem I am having with my Gaggia Classic (with PED).  Machine was working fine last Tuesday when I left for business travel - problem occured this morning (Saturday) when I went to run it for the first time since being back.  Machine is regularily cleaned and descaled (about 1 month ago - 10-12 espressos ago due to business travel).  Machine showed it was heating up as normal (according to the PED display got to 224 in about 30 or so seconds) but about 1/2 hour later when I went to make my shot it showed a temperature of 101.  The PED did seem to be "sending" the signal to activate the boiler but the temperature was not rising.  I flipped the switch to steam and the temperature shot up and maintained 320 - 330 degrees and was able to steam milk with no problem.  Not sure if there is a different heating element for steam (versus espresso) but as I said - steam seemed to work fine.  Am pretty technical so I don't mind working on the machine but if anyone can help with the diagnosis that would be awesome.  Thanks for the help!!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 10:30am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic HELP Needed!!!

A few assumptions based on your description.  Your PID and sensor seem to be functioning on one side.  I am assuming that you gave a specific steam temperature range based on PID readout.  That would mean that the sensor or thermocouple are working.  I would look in the machine for a loose wire to the SSR or SSR to power out loop, or the SSR itself.

Some SSRs have an LED light to show when they have an on cycle.

The Gaggia boiler has two elements, one on each side and they work together to heat or steam heat.  

Sounds like you are not set up to use PID as steam control, just senses temperature when running the steam switch, but that means the standard Gaggia wiring including elements are probably fine.

This wiring diagram may help.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
ptocko

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:22am

Correct D4F - NOT using PED to control steam BUT I do use the temperature reading to control when I start steaming (around 280 F).

Sorry - but what does SSR stand for?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
ptocko

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:25am

Never mind - SSR = Solid State Relay.  Any way to test this before I start throwing parts at the machine.  Thanks again
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 2:20pm

First, just make sure everything is still connected.  Sometimes connectons loosen with heat and cool cycles.  I do not know what brand you are using for PID and SSR, or thermocouple type, but the sensing side seems to work.  Look for a loose or disconnected wire, most likely in the machine, but even at the back of the PID, or at the SSR.  My PID has screw in connectors at the back.  They became loose as the wires crushed to fit and I tightened and fine since.  I never lost function, just found it on recheck.

I am assuming that the PID operates on AC 110v, though DC is possible.  It probably switches on with the machine.  When the machine is cold, out of PID damping range, the PID should put out an almost constant DC voltage to the SSR.  There are also AC SSRs, but not as likely here.  Usually less than 32v DC and often about 12v.  You could measure that voltage at the back of the PID if you know terminals, and at the SSR input side, small wire side.

If that checks, then you should be getting 110v AC on the output side, large wire side.  There may be an LED showing when SSR is working, blinking on and off depending on the temperature.

Let me know, happy to help.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370908975601)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+