Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Depressurizing Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Basket?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Depressurizing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AutoItKing

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 6:04pm
Subject: Depressurizing Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Basket?

I have a Mr. Coffee ECMP50 I'd like to depressurize. Does anybody know if there's a drop in replacement basket I can purchase, or do I have to do it the hard way with my trusty Dremel?
Also, can the perforated bottom handle the pressure? It seems kinda of thin...
And don't worry, I roast my own SM coffee and have a good grinder. I know how to make good coffee! I just don't have a huge budget :(

Thanks all!
 View Profile Link to this post
AutoItKing

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:53pm
Subject: Re: Depressurizing Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Basket?

Well thanks for all the help...

I ended up just grinding the bottom off my single shot basket. The bottom is the same thickness steel as the rest of the basket.
Used a Baratza Maestro Plus grinder set on the finest setting. It produces a fairly fine grind that clumps like no tomorrow.
Tried a single shot using some beans I've had for a while... don't hate! Their my cheap-o, milk drink beans.
Pour was a little fast (10seconds for a single shot) and crema was almost non-existent. The resulting shot was very bitter. About the same as a decent local cafe.

Now I don't know what it is at this point because I usually use these beans for milk drinks (lattes and mochas) so I don't really taste the coffee, just the multitude of milk. I just figured I'd spare my home roasted beans for when I know this works. It could very well just be the beans (fingers crossed) and not my technique.

And since I'm an electrical engineer, I may try to open up the machine to see if I can get the temperature control a little more precise. And I also would like to be able to control the brew cycle. It likes to do it's own cool down cycles and stuff.

Thoughts? (Not holding my breath, nobody responded up until this point)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:05pm

I am assuming that you have done some searching and reading to know about depressurizing your PortaFilter.  I looked up your machine as it is not one that I know.  I do not see it mentioned commonly on CG; that may acccount for the lack of response.  If I got it correctly, fairly standard 15 bar vib pump, and thermoblock instead of a boiler.

Once the PF is depressurized grind and coffee freshness seem to get more important.  Your flow of 10 seconds is too fast.  Many, perhaps most, of the machines regularly used by CG members are adjusted down to 9 bar pressure, and that seems to help with flow and grind tolerance.  Not sure that the grinder will grind fine enough without some mod or adjustment.  You can find threads on your grinder here in CG, and the feelng about its ability to grind espresso.  A good bit of general espresso info is covered in the site below.  

Perhaps a good place to start

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToEspresso.html

Then look through that site, and search CG for terms like sour and bitter along with temperature and grind.

Also note the styrofoam cup method of checking temperature.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:16pm

I noticed that you wrote a review on the grinder.  

Quoting you,
"Espresso grinds are very consistent, but it doesn't go quite fine enough for the very picky machines (Silvia and up)."

That may now apply to your machine depressurized.

D4F also at
AutoItKing

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:48pm

The pump is a 15 bar, ~40W Ulka. Plenty of pressure there. If I understand it correctly, pressure is ultimately determined by the grind and tamp. 8-9 bar being the "Goldilocks" figure.

I have already modded my Maestro to go stupid fine. I might need to adjust it further though... might not be fine enough? O.o

I'll be ripping the machine apart in the next week and installing some switches to control the pump and heating element. As well as a temperature gauge. Then I'll be adjusting the resistors on the circuit board to try and up the temperature some. At some point I may program my own PID...

I'm just going to try everything... how bout that? :P
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:57pm

Many machines have a valve or pressure relief that can limit to 9 bar when adjusted.  

Grinding fine enough or too fine is not the end all, it is enough steps or stepless to microadjust to fit different coffees, different roasts, etc.  10 seconds for a brew is not near long enough, or not fine enough. Grind finer, up dose even to double...  Temperature is not necessarily the problem unless you have measured it.  Control grind and dose as flow is not near correct.

Try to change one thing and measure results so that you know what works.  Mods are fun and make many machines better.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 9:20pm

A slightly different pump on the site below, but 15 bar vib and look at flow rate.  The flow at 9 bar has to go somewhere and the OPV valve sends it back to the tank.  Not just a tamp, grind, pressure problem, but flow.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

AndyPanda here on CG has some threads where he discusses changing pump flow and pressure with a dimmer, or resistors.  Search pump dimmer, and start here

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/580293

D4F also at
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 5:21pm

AutoItKing Said:

Well thanks for all the help...

Posted August 28, 2012 link

Now, is that remark really necessary? Do you really think that someone purposefully withheld information? Or, do you think it is possible that no one had any valid advice?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
AutoItKing

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 10:53pm

sweaner Said:

Now, is that remark really necessary? Do you really think that someone purposefully withheld information? Or, do you think it is possible that no one had any valid advice?

Posted August 29, 2012 link

Yes. Absolutely. -_-

Thanks for all the help D4F, I'll be trying some things soon.

The machine does have an adjustable OPV, but it's made of nylon so who knows how it will do with lower pressures.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Depressurizing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (6.49379491806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+