Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
9 years old Gaggia Classic  VS new Gaggia Classic ?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 9 years old...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Pavel_Gudkov

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 12:16am
Subject: 9 years old Gaggia Classic  VS new Gaggia Classic ?

Hello Dear Coffeegeek forumers!

I really like coffee, however i have never owned a coffee machine before. After reading some reviews on this forum, i finally decided to purchase a Gaggia Classic. I currently got 2 alternatives in Norway: a 9 years old Gaggia Classic ( rarely used according to the seller) and a brand new Gaggia Classic.
The used one costs 1500 norwegian krones (around 250 usd), while the new one costs 3000 krones ( 500 usd).
I wonder if the quality of coffee deteriorates as the machine becomes old ( 9 years sounds to me like a really old machine :) but the sellers says he has produced max. around 10 cups of coffee on this machine )
Despite the fact that i am new to coffee making, i really want to enjoy good quality espresso shots!
So please help me to decide which one i should choose!

Thank you in advance!

Pavel Gudkov , Norway
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 2:15am
Subject: Re: 9 years old Gaggia Classic  VS new Gaggia Classic ?

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

"Rarely used" leaves much room for interpretation and speculation. How many cups per day/week are we talking about? How has the machine been maintained? Has it been descaled regularily, for example? Some parts of an espresso machine are prone to a certain wear like gaskets, but also the pump.

A 9-year-old Gaggia Classic can still work fine for years to come, but it might also break down in a short while. You can never tell.

As long as you can afford it, I'd opt for the new machine. But bear in mind that you'll need to buy a decent grinder as well in order to be able "to enjoy good quality espresso shots".

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Pavel_Gudkov

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 11:55pm

NobbyR Said:

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

"Rarely used" leaves much room for interpretation and speculation. How many cups per day/week are we talking about? How has the machine been maintained? Has it been descaled regularily, for example? Some parts of an espresso machine are prone to a certain wear like gaskets, but also the pump.

A 9-year-old Gaggia Classic can still work fine for years to come, but it might also break down in a short while. You can never tell.

As long as you can afford it, I'd opt for the new machine. But bear in mind that you'll need to buy a decent grinder as well in order to be able "to enjoy good quality espresso shots".

Posted September 3, 2012 link

Thank you NobbyR! :)

The sellers says 9-10 cups of coffee in the whole period ( i.e. 1 cup of coffee per year). Should i still purchase a new machine ( yes, i can afford the new one) ?
I am aware that i need a good grinder. Gaggia MDF and Rancilio Rocky grinder cost about the same in Norway. Do you ,perhaps, know which grinder is a better choice for espresso ?

Thank you!

Pavel Gudkov, Norway
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 3:46am

10 cups altogether would seem like new, but it's kind of hard to believe. Why was is used so infrequently? What happened to the machine in between? Was the boiler emptied? Do you know the seller personally? Can you test the machine beforehand?

As far as the grinder is concerned, the Gaggia MDF and the Rancilio Rocky are both stepped grinders with the steps being pretty wide. This can leave you stuck in between two settings for proper extraction, i.e. the right fineness of grounds would be somewhere between two steps. This situation can be highly frustrating. The only way to work around that problem is to adjust the dose, but a change of 0.2 g can already change taste, so it's not really a desirable thing to do.

Since the grinder is more important for espresso quality than the machine, it's always wise to invest in a high quality grinder. You should spend 30% to 50% of your overall budget on the grinder, about $250 that is. Try to get a stepless or at least virtually stepless grinder.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Pavel_Gudkov

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 4:37am

NobbyR Said:

10 cups altogether would seem like new, but it's kind of hard to believe. Why was is used so infrequently? What happened to the machine in between? Was the boiler emptied? Do you know the seller personally? Can you test the machine beforehand?

As far as the grinder is concerned, the Gaggia MDF and the Rancilio Rocky are both stepped grinders with the steps being pretty wide. This can leave you stuck in between two settings for proper extraction, i.e. the right fineness of grounds would be somewhere between two steps. This situation can be highly frustrating. The only way to work around that problem is to adjust the dose, but a change of 0.2 g can already change taste, so it's not really a desirable thing to do.

Since the grinder is more important for espresso quality than the machine, it's always wise to invest in a high quality grinder. You should spend 30% to 50% of your overall budget on the grinder, about $250 that is. Try to get a stepless or at least virtually stepless grinder.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

I dont know the seller personally, and yes, i agree it is hard to believe that the total usage is limited to 10 cups...I will contact the seller and try to find out regarding the status of the machine.

Concerning the grinder, i understand the problem with stepped alternatives. If i am correct, Mazzer Mini is a stepless grinder. Is it a good choice?

Thank you!

Pavel
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 5:13am

That's an excellent choice.

Pavel_Gudkov

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 2:37am

NobbyR Said:

That's an excellent choice.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

What about manual grinders by Zassenhaus ? Is it capable of good espresso grinds?
At least it must be really fun to use! 8-)

Thank you!

-Pavel
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 2:58am

The Zassenhaus Santiago might work for brewing espresso. However, there have been reports about poor quality control with Zassenhaus grinders lately. As far as hand grinders are concerned, the OE Pharos or Hario Skerton are alternatives.

Pavel_Gudkov

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:39am

NobbyR Said:

The Zassenhaus Santiago might work for brewing espresso. However, there have been reports about poor quality control with Zassenhaus grinders lately. As far as hand grinders are concerned, the OE Pharos or Hario Skerton are alternatives.

Posted September 5, 2012 link

After spending some hours on this forum, i feel myself more and more coffeegeek 8-)
Ive found a used "Mazzer Super Jolly" grinder in Norway for 550usd. From what ive read super jolly is a better alternative than a mazzer mini. Is it correct?

Thank you!

Pavel
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 2:58am

The Super Jolly is a commercial grinder, so it's another step up on the ladder. However, you might need to change the burrs, depending on the age and the use of the grinder, because they might be worn.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > 9 years old...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.441324949265)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+