Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Whats a decent espresso for a novice in the $100-$200 range?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Whats a decent...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Whats a decent espresso for a novice in the $100-$200 range?

SeattleCoffeeGear is certainly a good place to shop, no matter what.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:40am

NobbyR Said:

Easy? Sure thing. Fast? Yes, it is. Decent? Now, that's highly debatable, because Nespresso is not really espresso for several reasons, no matter what advertising tries to suggest. {Sorry, Mr Clooney!} It's only an approximation. The dose is wrong (only 5 g of coffee per capsule), the volume is wrong (40 ml for a single shot), it lacks body (having a more or less watery consistency), it's pre-ground (i.e. most probably stale), and I suspect the crema is only a fake (some kind of built-in pressurization device).

Posted September 4, 2012 link

It's interesting that you never mentioned flavor. I've only had a Nespresso based drink a few times, but each was pretty good (IMHO). I believe it is difficult to make a better espresso-ish drink with that budget.

If I'm enjoying a drink, I frankly don't care if the dose or volume is incorrect by SCAA standards.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:45am

Nespresso tastes okay, better than stale drip coffee or Senseo anyway, but it doesn't taste as good as real espresso to me. A Nespresso machine might be a good sollution for an office environment, for example. But personally I prefer the full body and full taste of a traditionally brewed espresso.

By the way, only a minority of CoffeeGeeks adheres the INEI or SCAA criteria.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:46am

wide_palate Said:

Thanks everyone.Guess I might as well just stick to drip at home till I get a larger budget.$200+ for a good grinder,$300+ for a "halfway decent" machine,$16 per lb beans.Seems like it really is cheaper & much quicker overall to just go buy a shot.I like coffee but I don't hold my pinky up that high

So buy the refurbed Saeco Aroma from Seattle Coffee Gear and shop for either a hand grinder or a used electric grinder. You can still come in well under $300 total.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 8:49am

YMMV, but given a capable grinder you can pull decents shots with the Saeco Aroma.

odysseas

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 9:19am

I am no expert but I felt I should comment on the "really is cheaper & much quicker overall to just go buy a shot" portion of your message.

I would say that this depends on how often you go out and get a shot. I was using Rancilio Silvia and a Rocky for a couple of years that combined would cost you now about $1000. These appliances are designed to last at least a decade if properly maintained. The espresso drinks I was able to produce were much better than what you can get at the popular espresso coffee chain and cost me about 1/6-1/8 of what I would have to pay to get the same drink at the store. So, depending on how often you need a drink, you may actually save yourself some money and enjoy a better coffee by investing in your own setup.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:44am

frank828 Said:

agreeing with all that is was said and adding that in that price range, a used Saeco Barista/Aroma/Via Venezia or something similar with something like a hario skerton hand grinder MIGHT get you ok results.  You might need to stick to the pressurized portafilter in that case as the grinder will probably not get you where you need when using unpressurized.

Agreed!  If you look around for a used Saeco Barista (Starbucks Barista SIN006) and get your hands on a that Baratza Virtuoso then you should be in business.  Lot's of starbucks barista's are circulation on the internet and have the single hole steam wands but if you wanna go new then go for a "Saeco Barista/Aroma/Via Venezia"  

Click Here (www.ebay.com)  Lot's on ebay right now.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
rayto
rayto

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup/Yama 5 cup table
Drip: Tecnivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Hottop
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:54am

Go with a used Gaggia off CL great beginner machines.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:27am

I think he would be better off with the one step up grinder, the preciso.  http://www.baratza.com/baratza-grinder-information/preciso-grinder/  I tried espresso with virtuoso and I ended up getting the top of that line the Vario W.  The virtuoso is now used for drip and cold brew only.  That is to say I don't use it much.

You can watch the trade forum here and the company website for used grinders.  The hand grinder is a good idea as well.  I often see used starbucks machines in the 100 dollar range. May say not used much and that may be true.  But it is not a bad place to start.  You might find it frustrating if it doesn't work or if you have to tweak it a lot to work.  If you are handy I would go the used route.  That is what I did.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:29am

I would not buy from that overseas website.  I would get it from a company with a good reputation.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Whats a decent...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.4379799366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+