Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice re:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:19am
Subject: Re: Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?

dsas Said:

For someone who (at least for now) values time > espresso perfection, a super auto is worth a try...

Posted April 26, 2012 link

Emphasis on "worth a try"  - Not to beat a dead horse (or unicorn) and not to try to sway the OP but to clarify for those new to home espresso who would read this thread -  I personally don't think this is as much a compromise anymore with the timed grinders, timed machines that we have at our disposal.  

I imagine we all value time - that's why we're on the CG forums at all hours of the night......
 View Profile Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012, 7:42am
Subject: Re: Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?

wsikes Said:

A friend of mine (lives in England) has a $3300 Miele... it is a beautiful machine, and I do mean beautiful.  I could watch the demo video all day long... absolutely breathtaking.  However, I have never tasted the pulls she gets from this lovely machine and after seeing some of the repair bills (one was over $600), I think I will pass on this machine.  (As if I could afford it in the first place...lol.)
My first thought is that if I did have one, I would not be prone to experiment with the brewing process (This would be limited by the machine itself.), and I would lose much of the enjoyment of my "journey in quest of the God shot."  You may not be as interested in the process or the journey as much as I am, but if I did not have a lot of variables to "overcome" I doubt the hobby would be as enjoyable and rewarding (when not absolutely frustrating) as it is.  Having said that, I really do hope you find your "Nirvana Machine."
Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Posted April 26, 2012 link

Your friend has a Saeco superauto dressed up by Miele.....(beautifully), but that does not turn a donkey into a race horse...
Ciao, Pietro
MoffeeCoff
MoffeeCoff
Expertise: Professional
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 12:36am

I bought a Delonghi Magnifica in 2010 and had no troubles with it at all... I gave it to my sister when I moved and it still works perfectly fine. The only thing I found was that I had to de-scale it a lot more than other machines! So, I agree with Panisse. Go for it!

http://www.coffeebeancounters.com.au/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:59pm

Instead of a built in look towards the bottom of this page. They used the space for a double oven they took out, added a pot filler wand and a sliding shelf. (and plug ins in the back)

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
dsas

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:57am

Just following-up on the super-auto thread:

I went with the Delonghi 3300 and have been using it for 3+ months now.  My wife and I are very pleased with both the quality of the coffee and the performance of the machine.  It's easily adjustable so you can make traditional espresso or a big cup of "American" coffee with little effort.  All of our friends and family who have tried it also love it.  In fact, one friend liked it so much, he got one of his own.

It has one defect - the adjustable coffee spout falls down when brewing.  The spout is supposed to adjust up and down depending on the size of the cup and the volume of coffee.  Our adjusts just fine and stays in position while not in use.  But once we brew, it falls to a lower position.  The company has been as helpful as one could expect, offering to fix it for free (also picking up the cost of shipping both ways), but we haven't taken them up on this since it really doesn't drop far enough down to cause any problems.  My friend who also purchased one is not having this problem.

We chose the 3300 over the 3500 because the only differences were that the 3500 has a milk tank (which we would almost never use) and a digital interface (the 3300 has dials).  For us, those differences did not justisfy the difference in price.

I also tried a similar Jura machine, but chose Italian coffee experience over Swiss engineering in the end.

I use locally imported and roasted beans from Charleston Coffee Roasters which is, of course, probably the biggest reason for the great-tasting coffee.

Overall, the machine makes great coffee, performs reliably (at least for three months) and is very easy and convenient to use.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:17am

I am glad you are happy.  Please check in with us over time and tell us how it is going. You could really help someone else in your situation.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
earlds
earlds
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:31pm

I believe that you are looking for a unicorn.Espresso machines do not make drip.
Don
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:34pm

Not true at all, especially when the gasket needs replacing . . . .

;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice re:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426954984665)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+