Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Suggestions for upgrade from Quickmill Vetrano
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suggestions for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Abouna

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, MACAP M4 Stepless
Drip: Press
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 3:45am
Subject: Suggestions for upgrade from Quickmill Vetrano

Well, I'm thinking of selling our Vetrano rotary for an upgrade.

- dual boiler
- plumbed
- PID, I'd really like to stop surfing
- Rotary pump, we need to keep things quiet
- 2 group would be nice but we have limited pace so I assume 1 group it is
- oh yeah, joysticks if possible

Any suggestions?

FJ
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 12:27am
Subject: Re: Suggestions for upgrade from Quickmill Vetrano

Abouna Said:

Well, I'm thinking of selling our Vetrano rotary for an upgrade.

Posted September 9, 2012 link

Wow, that's already a fully decked out machine. (At least from my perspective) What is the price range you are looking for?

Do you want automatic or semi-automatic? The joysticks request kind of limits your choices a bit...

The Nuova Simonelli Musica has a kind of a joystick on it... They go for about $2.6k where I live, so I'd consider that a
step up from what you have.  

There are a whole bunch of machines which meet your requirements between the $2k to $4k mark, except for
the whole joysticks thing.  I really like the looks of the La Spaziale machines, but they don't have joysticks.

I think you could also probably order a machine with knobs and get it retrofitted with a joystick kit. For example, on Chris's
coffees website, it appears that they sell a Joystick kit for the Alex Duetto II and I believe it would meet all of your requirements.
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/izzoduetto
It looks like they'll even retrofit the machine for you!

Good luck on your quest. :)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 12:49am

Rocket Espresso R58, La Marzocco GS/3, Kees van der Westen Speedster, ...

Well, what's your budget?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 1:23am

NobbyR Said:

Rocket Espresso R58

Posted September 10, 2012 link

I really like the looks of this machine. One gotcha is that they put the PID interface on a separate cable which you plug into the machine.

If you very adjust the brewing temperature very seldom, this isn't such a bad idea, only because you don't have a PID which spoils the
look of the machine. The only downside I think is that this machine is relatively new to the market, so its not really tried and tested yet.
However, there is a 15 page (And counting) thread about the R58 in the forums so it must be something good!

They're $2.7k here, so it would be a big step up from your Vetrano.

NobbyR Said:

La Marzocco GS/3

I personally don't see the value in spending that much on a machine myself. You would be getting quality though, but when you
consider that there are machines on the market selling for half as much which do pretty much the same thing and have the same
amount of features, I don't see the value in it.

NobbyR Said:

Kees van der Westen Speedster

An absolutely beautiful piece of art. Even if Kees Van der Westen came to me personally and said, "Bud, I want you to have one of
these machines, free. No catches. Take it. Love it. Enjoy it." I would tell him, "Sorry Dude, No thanks." ... Why? Plenty of reasons.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful machine, but in my house, it wouldn't get the the attention it deserves. This is the kind of machine
that you design an entire room around. It belongs in a special coffee bar where regular parties are held with friends. Or in a small cafe
which serves sweets and pastries. Not in my kitchen next to the toaster and Breville K-Cup machine.

It would be like giving a Bugatti Veyron to a Pizza Delivery Boy... which in some ways would be kind of humorous....

Not to mention, from my point of view, we live in a smallish house and counter space is at a premium. It's a counter space hog. :)
(It also won't fit next to the sink, I'm limited to machines which are no wider than 16 inches if I want to plumb in.)

I know I'm a little off topic and for that I apologize...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 2:54am

qualin Said:

... They're $2.7k here, so it would be a big step up from your Vetrano ... I personally don't see the value in spending that much on a machine myself ...

Don't get me wrong, I only suggested the first high class prosumer or commercial machines that came to my mind given unlimited money. That's why I asked for a budget. It's hard to make a good recommendation without knowing finances.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Abouna

Espresso: Vetrano, Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, MACAP M4 Stepless
Drip: Press
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 3:07am

Budget needs to stay below $3k, as far as possible.

FJ
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 3:11am

It that case, you might take a serious look at the Rocket Espresso R58. SeattleCoffeeGear have done a crew review on it: click here.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suggestions for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.443681001663)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+