Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Problems with removing the detergent taste from Expobar Brewtus
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problems with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Dunja

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 2:21pm
Subject: Problems with removing the detergent taste from Expobar Brewtus

Hi all,

we recently bought Expobar Brewtus IV, and it's been doing really great, but right now we're having a really strange problem with it. After coming back from holidays, we did the standard back-flush cleaning (with the detergent powder which we bought from the same shop where we bought the machine). We put 1 table spoon of the powder (as indicated on the box) and backflushed it for several cycles, and then did the back-flushing with only clean water for several cycles in the end. Nevertheless, for 2 days now we just can't manage to remove the residue of the detergent taste from the machine. We first noticed it in the taste of coffee, and then tried the water itself, and it indeed had a strange taste (bitter/sour). We made sure the taste of water is not coming from the water container, nor is it coming from the pipe linked to the second boiler, nor from the portafilters. We rinsed the machine so many times, and backflushed it repeatedly (I have a feeling we've used some 20 litters of water by now), but the bad bitterish taste still remains in the water that comes out. The machine is completely new, so this is really depressing. Please help if you have any idea of where we've gone wrong or what might help. Thanks a lot in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:59am
Subject: Re: Problems with removing the detergent taste from Expobar Brewtus

Usually, prevented by the 3-way-valve, the detergent should not get into the brew boiler during backflushing. I understand that you tried the hot water from the tap and it tasted bad as well. So, maybe you should complain about your problem to the dealer, because something might be wrong with the magnetic valve. After all it's a new machine.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Dunja

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:04am

Thanks for the reply NobbyR! Actually, now we tried to flush out the water from the second boiler again, so through the tap. Near the end of flushing a whole layer of thin white sustainable foam came out! So now we are wondering whether it could be the case that the detergent somehow entered the second boiler though the backflushing process, and is influencing the taste of the water coming through the first boiler... Would that mean our machine is actually having a malfunction as you say? The foam always comes only at the very end of flushing the water this way (i.e. through the tap).
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:11am

Are you talking about the steam boiler? The brew boiler and the steam boiler are not connected (exept for the water tank). So backflushing definately should not effect the steam boiler.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Dunja

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:14am

Oh I see, then this white foam from the steam boiler might be something entirely different.
I suppose the only explanation that the taste is still bitter is that the valve you mentioned isn't functioning well, and so some of it got into the brew boiler.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:22am

The hot water tap is connected to the steam boiler, the brew head draws water from the brew boiler.

steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:25am

One tablespoon? 1/2 teaspoon is what I've always used as per instructions. Is this the first time you have backflushed with a detergent? Are you sure one TB is the correct amount?
Dunja

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:59am

Unfortunately, the instructions do say "1 tablespoon" :-/ The product is called "Clean Express", and we used it once before but accidentally put 1 teaspoon, and that time it all went fine, no residue after the standard rinsing. But this time we thought we should do it as the instructions say, so we used a tablespoon. A bad idea, seemingly.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 2:15am

I haven't used CleanExpress yet, but as far as I know you're supposed to use 1 teaspoon for backflushing and 1 tablespoon per liter for soaking portafilters, for example. The picture is from an actual CleanExpress can, unfortunately it's in German only.

NobbyR: 160_1_cleanexpress_tee_kaffee_reinigungspulver_900g_dose_r811130.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Dunja

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 2:39am

I re-checked the instructions and 1 tablespoon is stated in English, German and Italian version on the box, but also that 1 tablespoon should be used per 1 litter of water when washing the portafilters. So the instructions might be wrong.
Now the good news is that just now I managed to finally pull out a non-bitter shot out of the machine. It seems the endless rinsing did remove the detergent. I'm worried though for the next time... We'll certainly use 1/3 of a teaspoon as you guys recommended, but I just hope that nothing is wrong with that magnetic valve. Is there any way to check that independently, so the functionality of that valve?

Thanks to all!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problems with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389668941498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+